On this page:
- Definition of the noun statesman
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Statesman
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Statesman
- Photos about Statesman
- Video about Statesman
- Quotes about Statesman
- Scrabble value of S1T1A1T1E1S1M3A1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun statesman
What does statesman mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: statesmen
- a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs
- examples: The great statesman and general is still living. | Lincoln was a great statesman. | Churchill was a worthy statesman. | In addition to being a great statesman, Churchill was a great writer. | Let him be a great statesman, I don't admire him. | The statesman is worthy of respect. | The statesman seems to be concerned with the affair. | The wife and son of the statesman died three years ago. | The statesman is now in full vigor. | The statesman barely coped with the intricate issue.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of statesman: national leader / solon
- more generic terms: pol / political leader / politician / politico = a person active in party politics
- more specific terms:
- Dean Gooderham Acheson / Dean Acheson / Acheson = United States statesman who promoted the Marshall Plan and helped establish NATO
- Konrad Adenauer / Adenauer = German statesman
- Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa / Agrippa = Roman general who commanded the fleet that defeated the forces of Antony and Cleopatra at Actium
- Alcibiades = ancient Athenian statesman and general in the Peloponnesian War
- Yasser Arafat / Arafat = Palestinian statesman who was chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization
- Kemal Ataturk / Mustafa Kemal / Kemal Pasha / Ataturk = Turkish statesman who abolished the caliphate and founded Turkey as a modern secular state
- Clement Richard Attlee / 1st Earl Attlee / Clement Attlee / Attlee = British statesman and leader of the Labour Party who instituted the welfare state in Britain
- Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus / Gaius Octavianus / Augustus / Octavian = Roman statesman who established the Roman Empire and became emperor in 27 BC
- Viscount St. Albans / 1st Baron Verulam / Sir Francis Bacon / Baron Verulam / Francis Bacon / Bacon = English statesman and philosopher; precursor of British empiricism
- 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley / Stanley Baldwin / Baldwin = English statesman
- Arthur James Balfour / 1st Earl of Balfour / Balfour = English statesman
- Bernard Mannes Baruch / Bernard Baruch / Baruch = economic advisor to United States Presidents
- Menachem Begin / Begin = Israeli statesman (born in Russia) who (as prime minister of Israel) negotiated a peace treaty with Anwar Sadat (then the president of Egypt)
- David Ben Gurion / Ben Gurion / David Grun = Israeli statesman (born in Poland) and active Zionist who organized resistance against the British after World War II
- Ernest Bevin / Bevin = British labor leader and statesman who played an important role in diplomacy after World War II
- Prince Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck / Prince Otto von Bismarck / Otto von Bismarck / Iron Chancellor / von Bismarck / Bismarck = German statesman under whose leadership Germany was united
- Anthony Charles Lynton Blair / Tony Blair / Blair = British statesman who became prime minister in 1997
- Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius / Boethius = a Roman who was an early Christian philosopher and statesman who was executed for treason
- El Libertador / Simon Bolivar / Bolivar = Venezuelan statesman who led the revolt of South American colonies against Spanish rule
- Willy Brandt / Brandt = German statesman who as chancellor of West Germany worked to reduce tensions with eastern Europe
- Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev / Leonid Brezhnev / Brezhnev = Soviet statesman who became president of the Soviet Union
- Marcus Junius Brutus / Brutus = statesman of ancient Rome who (with Cassius) led a conspiracy to assassinate Julius Caesar
- Edmund Burke / Burke = British statesman famous for his oratory
- Gaius Julius Caesar / Julius Caesar / Caesar = conqueror of Gaul and master of Italy
- Gaius Cassius Longinus / Cassius Longinus / Cassius = prime mover in the conspiracy against Julius Caesar
- Arthur Neville Chamberlain / Neville Chamberlain / Chamberlain = British statesman who as Prime Minister pursued a policy of appeasement toward fascist Germany
- Francois Rene Chateaubriand / Vicomte de Chateaubriand / Chateaubriand = French statesman and writer
- Fourth Earl of Chesterfield / Philip Dormer Stanhope / Chesterfield = suave and witty English statesman remembered mostly for letters to his son
- Chiang Chung-cheng / Chiang Kai-shek = Chinese military and political figure
- Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill / Winston S. Churchill / Winston Churchill / Churchill = British statesman and leader during World War II
- Marcus Tullius Cicero / Cicero / Tully = a Roman statesman and orator remembered for his mastery of Latin prose
- Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus / Cincinnatus = Roman statesman regarded as a model of simple virtue
- Georges Eugene Benjamin Clemenceau / Georges Clemenceau / Clemenceau = French statesman who played a key role in negotiating the Treaty of Versailles
- Baron Clive of Plassey / Robert Clive / Baron Clive / Clive = British general and statesman whose victory at Plassey in 1757 strengthened British control of India
- Cosimo de Medici / Cosimo the Elder = Italian financier and statesman and friend of the papal court
- Oliver Cromwell / Ironsides / Cromwell = English general and statesman who led the parliamentary army in the English Civil War
- Jefferson Davis / Davis = American statesman
- Moshe Dayan / Dayan = Israeli general and statesman
- Charles Andre Joseph Marie de Gaulle / General Charles de Gaulle / Charles de Gaulle / General de Gaulle / de Gaulle = French general and statesman who became very popular during World War II as the leader of the Free French forces in exile
- Demosthenes = Athenian statesman and orator
- Teng Hsiao-ping / Teng Hsiaoping / Deng Xiaoping = Chinese communist statesman
- Eamon de Valera / de Valera = Irish statesman
- First Earl of Beaconsfield / Benjamin Disraeli / Disraeli = British statesman who as Prime Minister bought controlling interest in the Suez Canal and made Queen Victoria the empress of India
- Gaius Flaminius / Flaminius = Roman statesman and general who built the Flaminian Way
- Charles James Fox / Fox = English statesman who supported American independence and the French Revolution
- Indira Nehru Gandhi / Indira Gandhi / Mrs. Gandhi / Gandhi = daughter of Nehru who served as prime minister of India from 1966 to 1977
- William Ewart Gladstone / William Gladstone / Gladstone = liberal British statesman who served as prime minister four times
- Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev / Mikhail Gorbachev / Gorbachev = Soviet statesman whose foreign policy brought an end to the Cold War and whose domestic policy introduced major reforms
- Second Earl Grey / Charles Grey / Grey = Englishman who as Prime Minister implemented social reforms including the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire
- First Viscount Haldane of Cloan / Richard Burdon Haldane / Richard Haldane / Haldane = Scottish statesman and brother of Elizabeth and John Haldane
- Alexander Hamilton / Hamilton = United States statesman and leader of the Federalists; as the first Secretary of the Treasury he establish a federal bank
- Vaclav Havel / Havel = Czech dramatist and statesman whose plays opposed totalitarianism and who served as president of Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992 and president of the Czech Republic since 1993
- Paul Ludwig von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg / Paul von Hindenburg / Hindenburg = German field marshal and statesman
- Nguyen Tat Thanh / Ho Chi Minh = Vietnamese communist statesman who fought the Japanese in World War II and the French until 1954 and South Vietnam until 1975
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah / Jinnah = Indian statesman who was the founder of Pakistan as a Muslim state
- Mikhail Ivanovich Kalinin / Mikhail Kalinin / Kalinin = soviet statesman and head of state of the USSR
- Kenneth David Kaunda / Kenneth Kaunda / Kaunda = statesman who led Northern Rhodesia to full independence as Zambia in 1964 and served as Zambia's first president
- Jomo Kenyata / Kenyata = Kenyan statesman and the first president of independent Kenya
- Aleksandr Feodorovich Kerensky / Kerensky = Russian revolutionary who was head of state after Nicholas II abdicated but was overthrown by the Bolsheviks
- Sir Seretse Khama / Khama = Botswanan statesman who was the first president of Botswana
- Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev / Nikita Khrushchev / Khrushchev = Soviet statesman and premier who denounced Stalin
- Prince Fumimaro Konoye / Prince Fumimaro Konoe / Fumimaro Konoye / Fumimaro Konoe / Konoye / Konoe = Japanese statesman who set Japan's expansionist policies and formed an alliance with Germany and Italy
- Stephanus Johannes Paulus Kruger / Oom Paul Kruger / Kruger = Boer statesman
- Lorenzo the Magnificent / Lorenzo de'Medici = Italian statesman and scholar who supported many artists and humanists including Michelangelo and Leonardo and Botticelli
- Niccolo Machiavelli / Machiavelli = a statesman of Florence who advocated a strong central government
- John Roy Major / John R. Major / John Major / Major = British statesman who was prime minister from 1990 until 1997
- Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela / Nelson Mandela / Mandela = South African statesman who was released from prison to become the nation's first democratically elected president in 1994
- George Catlett Marshall / George Marshall / Marshall = United States general and statesman who as Secretary of State organized the European Recovery Program
- Golda Meir / Meir = Israeli statesman (born in Russia)
- Prince Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar von Metternich / Klemens Metternich / Metternich = Austrian statesman
- Francois Maurice Marie Mitterrand / Francois Mitterrand / Mitterrand = French statesman and president of France from 1981 to 1985
- Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov / Molotov = Soviet statesman
- Sir Thomas More / Thomas More / More = English statesman who opposed Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon and was imprisoned and beheaded
- Gouverneur Morris / Morris = United States statesman who led the committee that produced the final draft of the United States Constitution
- Hosni Mubarak / Mubarak = Egyptian statesman who became president in 1981 after Sadat was assassinated
- Fridtjof Nansen / Nansen = Norwegian explorer of the Arctic and director of the League of Nations relief program for refugees of World War I
- Gamal Abdel Nasser / Nasser = Egyptian statesman who nationalized the Suez Canal
- Jawaharlal Nehru / Nehru = Indian statesman and leader with Gandhi in the struggle for home rule
- Second Earl of Guilford / Frederick North / North = British statesman under George III whose policies led to rebellion in the American colonies
- Daniel Ortega Saavedra / Daniel Ortega / Ortega = Nicaraguan statesman
- Ignace Jan Paderewski / Ignace Paderewski / Paderewski = Polish pianist who in 1919 served as the first Prime Minister of independent Poland
- Pericles = Athenian statesman whose leadership contributed to Athens' political and cultural supremacy in Greece
- First Earl of Chatham / Pitt the Elder / William Pitt / Pitt = English statesman who brought the Seven Years' War to an end
- Second Earl of Chatham / Pitt the Younger / William Pitt / Pitt = English statesman and son of Pitt the Elder
- Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus / Pompey the Great / Pompey = Roman general and statesman who quarrelled with Caesar and fled to Egypt where he was murdered
- Colin luther Powell / Colin Powell / Powell = United States general who was the first African American to serve as chief of staff
- Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin / Vladimir Putin / Putin = Russian statesman chosen as president of the Russian Federation in 2000
- Sir Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan / Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan / Radhakrishnan = Indian philosopher and statesman who introduced Indian philosophy to the West
- Armand Jean du Plessis / Cardinal Richelieu / Duc de Richelieu / Richelieu = French prelate and statesman
- Second Marquis of Rockingham / Charles Watson-Wentworth / Rockingham = English statesman who served as prime minister and who opposed the war with the American colonies
- Anwar el-Sadat / Anwar Sadat / Sadat = Egyptian statesman who (as president of Egypt) negotiated a peace treaty with Menachem Begin (then prime minister of Israel)
- Helmut Heinrich Waldemar Schmidt / Helmut Schmidt / Schmidt = German statesman who served as chancellor of Germany
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca / Seneca = Roman statesman and philosopher who was an advisor to Nero
- Ian Douglas Smith / Ian Smith / Smith = Rhodesian statesman who declared independence of Zimbabwe from Great Britain
- Jan Christian Smuts / Smuts = South African statesman and soldier
- Suharto = Indonesian statesman who seized power from Sukarno in 1967
- Achmad Sukarno / Sukarno = Indonesian statesman who obtained the independence of Indonesia from the Netherlands in 1949 and served as president until ousted by Suharto in a coup d'etat
- Maxmilien de Bethune / Duc de Sully / Sully = French statesman
- Sun Yat-sen / Sun Yixian = Chinese statesman who organized the Kuomintang and led the revolution that overthrew the Manchu dynasty in 1911 and 1912
- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand / Talleyrand = French statesman
- Themistocles = Athenian statesman who persuaded Athens to build a navy and then led it to victory over the Persians
- Marshal Tito / Josip Broz / Tito = Yugoslav statesman who led the resistance to German occupation during World War II and established a communist state after the war
- Getulio Dornelles Vargas / Vargas = Brazilian statesman who ruled Brazil as a virtual dictator
- Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd / Hendrik Verwoerd / Verwoerd = South African statesman who instituted the policy of apartheid
- Kurt Waldheim / Waldheim = Austrian diplomat who was Secretary General of the United Nations from 1972 to 1981
- Lech Walesa / Walesa = Polish labor leader and statesman
- First Earl of Orford / Sir Robert Walpole / Robert Walpole / Walpole = Englishman and Whig statesman who (under George I) was effectively the first British prime minister
- Earl of Warwick / Richard Neville / Kingmaker / Warwick = English statesman
- Chaim Azriel Weizmann / Chaim Weizmann / Weizmann = Israeli statesman who persuaded the United States to recognize the new state of Israel and became its first president
- First Duke of Wellington / Duke of Wellington / Arthur Wellesley / Wellington / Iron Duke = British general and statesman; he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo
- William of Wykeham / Wykeham = English prelate and statesman; founded a college at Oxford and Winchester College in Winchester
Alternative definition of the noun statesman
- A man who is a leader in national or international affairs.
- A male political leader who promotes the public good or who is recognized for probity, leadership, or the qualities necessary to govern a state.
- hypernyms: leader
- Statesman is a fictional character from the 1978 film Battlestar Galactica.
- Statesman is a fictional character from the 1956 comedy-drama film The Green Man.
- Statesman is a fictional character from the 2006 film 300.
- "Statesman", also known by its Latin title, Politicus, is a Socratic dialogue written by Plato. The text describes a conversation among Socrates, the mathematician Theodorus, another person named Socrates, and an unnamed philosopher from Elea referred to as "the Stranger". It is ostensibly an attempt to arrive at a definition of "statesman," as opposed to "sophist" or "philosopher" and is presented as following the action of the Sophist.
- also known as Le politique
- "Statesman" is a book published in 1986 that was written by Piers Anthony.
- also known as "Bio of a Space Tyrant Volume 5: Statesman", "Bio of a Space Tyrant: Volume 5: Statesman"
- language: English Language
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1986
- released in (30 years ago)
Statesman was an automotive marque created in 1971 by General Motors Holden, the Australian subsidiary of General Motors. Statesman vehicles were sold through Holden dealerships, and were initially based on the mainstream Holden HQ station wagon platform, thereby providing more interior room and generally more luxurious features than their Holden sedan siblings. Production ceased with the last of the WB series cars in 1984.
- also known as استیسمن
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Statesman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Fra (1912)
A Journal of Affirmation
Thomas Brackett Reed once said, “ A statesman is a politician who is dead.” Men of the first class can never hope to get the glad acclaim of the mob. To get the approval of the mob, you must state the things that the mob holds dear so Root is ...
Eye Opener Bob (2011)
The Story of Bob Edwards by Grant MacEwan
CHAPTER TWENTY “A Statesman is a Dead Politician" “The difference between American and English politics is shown by Mr. Chamberlain having the gout. Over in the States, a man who expected to appeal to the masses and suggest extra ...
Sublime Bureaucracy by C. Sullivan
Readers couldnotdecide whether The Statesman is a political satireon thearts of rising(a dangerously nearthe knuckle, 'keen intellectual exercise', Gladstone thought when reading itinproof), or a wry but real mixtureofadvice and ...
by Tryon Edwards
The great difference between the real statesman and the pretender is, that the one sees into the future, while the other regards only the present; the one lives by the day, and acts on expediency the other acts on enduring principles and for ...
Reading Courses ...
CLAY, statesman and orator. CALHOUN, Southern statesman. DIAz, Mexican dictator. DisrAELI, brilliant Victorian statesman. FARRAGUT, American Civil ...
Haydn's Dictionary of Dates (1867)
Relating to All Ages and Nations for Universal Reference by Joseph Haydn, Benjamin Vincent, George Palmer Putnam
Barilett, Joslab, statesman, gov. N. II.
Being a Chronological and Alphabetical Record of All Essential Facts in the Progress of Society, from the Creation of the World to the Inauguration of Lincoln. With a Chart by George Palmer Putnam
Barbour, James, statesman and diplomatist Barbour, P. P., statesman, and Judge of Sup. Court Barclay, Robert, the celebrated vindicator of the Quakers Barctti, Joseph, lexicographer— author of Travels, &c Baring, ...
Definitions, Pronunciation, Synonyms, Etymology Comprising Hundreds of New Words
statesman; signer of the Dec . of Independence, b.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
As a patriot, a statesman, a warrior, and a man, the character of the marquis Cornwallis shines with distinguished lustre. Peace was signed with Holkar on the 24th of December ; and thus a temporary calm was restored to that part of India.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Statesman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Statesman
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Nabeel H
Finn doing his Napoleon pose. 10 weeks now
Photo credit: maessive
"Whether by land, sea, air, or quantum leap, you don't just get there; you arrive. You check in no matter your state (of mind). East Coast? West Coast? It's all the Best Coast."
Solution: [Somewhat unsure] Checking in to business in 3 different states during the same day.
Photo credit: puroticorico
- Statesman handset parts
Plastic retainers (top of the picture) hold the transmitter and receiver in place. A bit like a Telephone 776
Photo credit: tony_duell
- Holden Statesman Caprice
Photo credit: FotoSleuth
- Statesman telephone buttons
2 of the buttons from this telephone
Photo credit: tony_duell
- Holden Statesman DeVille
Photo credit: FotoSleuth
- Statesman caprice WB
Photo credit: Shreader
- Holden Statesman
Photo credit: Ferenghi
- Statesman Motel
Photo credit: gregw66
- Statesman by the sea.
Thought this was a lucky find, and a nice location too...
Photo credit: NZ Car Freak
- Holden Statesman
Exported as Chevrolet Caprice.
Photo credit: Ferenghi
- Holden Statesman DeVille
Photo credit: FotoSleuth
View more pictures about Elder statesman.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Statesman
Video shows what statesman means. A man who is a leader in national or international affairs.. A male political leader who promotes the public good or who is ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Statesman!
Quotes about Statesman
Scrabble value of S1T1A1T1E1S1M3A1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Statesman to see it in context!