The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun station:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun station:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb station:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun station
- Definition of the verb station
- Phrases with Station
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Station
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Station
- Photos about Station
- Video language resources about Station
- Quotes about Station
- Scrabble value of S1T1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of STATION
- Share this page
The word station is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun station
What does station mean as a name of something?
Station is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: stations
- a facility equipped with special equipment and personnel for a particular purpose
- examples: he started looking for a gas station | the train pulled into the station
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: facility / installation = a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry
- more specific terms:
- broadcasting station / broadcast station = a station equipped to broadcast radio or television programs
- fire station / firehouse = a station housing fire apparatus and firemen
- first-aid station = a station providing emergency care or treatment before regular medical aid can be obtained
- observation station = a station set up for making observations of something
- police headquarters / police station / station house = a station that serves as headquarters for police in a particular district
- power station / power plant / powerhouse = an electrical generating station
- service station = a station where gasoline and oil are sold and facilities are available for repairing or maintaining automobiles
- substation = a subsidiary station where electricity is transformed for distribution by a low-voltage network
- terminal / terminus / depot = station where transport vehicles load or unload passengers or goods
- proper or designated social situation
- examples: the responsibilities of a man in his station | married above her station
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of station: place
- more generic terms: rank / social rank / social station / social status = position in a social hierarchy
- more specific word: niche = a position particularly well suited to the person who occupies it
- (nautical) the location to which a ship or fleet is assigned for duty
- the position where someone (as a guard or sentry) stands or is assigned to stand
- example: a sentry station
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of station: post
- more generic words: place / position = the particular portion of space occupied by something
- more specific terms:
- the frequency assigned to a broadcasting station
Alternative definition of the noun station
- [obsolete] The fact of standing still; motionlessness, stasis.
- synonym: [that broadcasts television] channel
- A stopping place
- synonym: sta
- A regular stopping place for ground transportation.
- A ground transportation depot.
- One of the Stations of the Cross.
- A place where one stands or stays or is assigned to stand or stay.
- A place where one performs a tasks or where one is on call to perform a task.
- Standing; rank; position.
- A military base.
- A place used for broadcasting radio or television.
- A broadcasting entity.
- [Australia, New Zealand] A very large sheep or cattle farm
- [Newfoundland] A harbour or cove with a foreshore suitable for a facility to support nearby fishing.
- [surveying] Any of a sequence of equally spaced points along a path.
Definition of the verb station
What does station mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: stationed | stationing | stations
- assign to a station
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I put the book here/there | I spooned the sauce there [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Destination] I put the book on/under/near the table
- lexical domain: Competition - verbs of fighting, athletic activities
- synonyms of station: place / post / send
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific words:
- "Station" is a 1981 Japanese film directed by Yasuo Furuhata. Among many awards, it was chosen as Best Film at the Japan Academy Prize ceremony.
- also known as Eki Station
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- written by Sô Kuramoto
- cinematography by Daisaku Kimura
- music by Ryudo Uzaki
- genres: Japanese Movies, Drama
- released on (34 years ago)
- Japan Academy Prize for Picture of the Year nomination for Yasuo Furuhata
- Japan Academy Prize for Director of the Year nomination for Yasuo Furuhata
- Japan Academy Prize for Screenplay of the Year nomination for Sô Kuramoto
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role nomination for Ken Takakura
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for Ryudo Uzaki
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role nomination for Chieko Baisho
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role nomination for Ayumi Ishida
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role nomination for Setsuko Karasuma
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography nomination for Daisaku Kimura
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction nomination for Yukio Higuchi
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording nomination for Nobuyuki Tanaka
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Music nomination for Ryudo Uzaki
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction nomination for Hideki Mochizuki
- Japan Academy Prize for Picture of the Year, received by Yasuo Furuhata
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, received by Ken Takakura
- Japan Academy Prize for Screenplay of the Year, received by Sô Kuramoto
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Music, received by Ryudo Uzaki
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording, received by Nobuyuki Tanaka
- "Station" is a 2014 Hindi thriller film written and directed by Saad Khan and was produced by Sumit Ghosh Media, an independent company that promote talents from Bangalore. Sameer Kevin Roy, Vibhinta Verma, and Siddhanth Sundar star as the main protagonists of the film. Production began in November 2011, and was wrapped up in July 2012. The film went to post-production in March 2013, and was released on 28 March 2014 via PVR Cinemas and its arm PVR DIRECTOR'S RARE which works as a springboard to support the theatrical release of the critically acclaimed cinema and niche content from across the world. Official theatrical trailer was launched on 20 February 2014 at PVR Forum Mall, Bangalore in presence of Kannada film director Jacob Verghese, prominent Fashion Guru Prasad Bidapa along with Miss Earth Nicole Faria, and the cast and crew of the film. The film follows three psychotic assassins as they wait to finish a job at a waiting room on a deserted railway station.
- also known as स्टेशन: द फ़िल्म
- country: India
- languages: Hindi Language, English Language
- producer: Sumit Ghosh
- executive producer: Karan Rao
- written by Saad Khan
- based on a story by Saad Khan
- cinematography by Venkat Gangadhari
- edited by Kenneth Sebastian & Soundarraj
- music by Jeet Singh
- genres: Crime Fiction, Thriller, Drama
- released on
- "Station" a.k.a. "The Station" is a 2001 film directed and written by Piotr Weresniak.
- read more about The Station
- "Station" is a 2010 short drama film directed by Márcia Faria.
- country: Brazil
- language: Portuguese Language
- producers: Fabiano Gullane & Caio Gullane
- executive producers: Guilherme Pinheiro & Sônia Império Hamburger
- production design by Marcos Pedroso
- written by Márcia Faria & Leda Cartum
- based on a story by Gabrielle Lopes & Márcia Faria
- cinematography by Heloisa Passos
- edited by Jair Peres
- music by Claudia Dorei
- costume design by Cristina Camargo
- genre: Drama
- released on (5 years ago)
- official website: estacaofilme.com
Phrases with Station
- Station Bill
- tv station
- aid station
- air station
- bus station
- gas station
- way station
- fire station
- Fuel Station
- Hill station
- pull station
- coach station
- Guard Station
- Metro station
- Motor Station
- power station
- radio station
- relay station
- shore station
View more phrases with the word Station in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Station
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The power station is the class now coming into vogue, and is the real central station. It is the centre at which power is...
The direct supply station is a centre at which the power is both generated and distributed. The simple direct supply station ...
2011 Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence by Robert G. Shibley, Robert Shibley FAIA AICP with Brandy H.M. Brooks, Jay Farbstein FAIA, PhD, and Richard Wener, PhD
Market Station Area Market Station is a commercial development owned and managed by Railyard LLC.
Underneath Market Station is the Railyard's main parking facility, a 400 space garage run by the City of Santa Fe; finding national ...
Technical Report by William Vaughn Iorns, Charles Herbert Hembree, Godfrey L. Oakland
Gaging station is a particular site on a stream, canal, lake, or reservoir where systematic observations of gage height or water discharge are obtained. A streamflow gaging station is a gaging station on a stream. Gallons per minute ( gpm) is a ...
Environmental Impact Statement
The station is a bus transit hub for several transit services and ...
Leaping To The Stars (2003)
Book Three in the Starsiders Trilogy by David Gerrold
Armstrong Station is a deep crater larger across than Diamond Head on Oahu, and with a big man-made dome across...
the dome functioning — because more important than its living areas, Armstrong Station is the largest reservoir of air and ...
by Marcia Rohrer, Nannette Samson
A work station is a place for individual students to begin a task, do the task, finish the task, and put the finished task away without assistance. The use of a work station is an instructional strategy that teaches appropriate work habits and ...
The Question of the Subject in Ricoeur by D. Jervolino
The second relay station is the concept of "first-order" or "first-level entities." These are the collective subjects, quasi-characters such as peoples, nations, communities, civilizations, etc., which appear in historiographic language as actors in ...
The Modern Station (2013)
New Approaches to Railway Architecture by Brian Edwards
The station is the point where architecture and engineering interface; the sharpness of this conjuncture is an aesthetic as well as a...
The next station is the Castle Law of Colteucher, which has been a firstrate fortress in its time. It is naturally very strong, except on the south-west, where it has been defended by a double and perhaps a triple ditch and rampart. It stands in a ...
Antarctica and the Arctic Circle: A Geographic Encyclopedia of the Earth's Polar Regions [2 volumes] (2014)
by Andrew Jon Hund
Georg von Neumayer Station, Neumayer Station, Neumayer III Station | extraterrestrial effects, by as much as 80ă100 km. Helen Thayer visited the vicinity of the North Magnetic Dip Pole solo in 1988, when it was located between Bathurst ...
by Terry L. Jones
October 9: Bristoe Station Campaign began in Virginia when Lee advanced to turn Meade's flank; Wheeler's cavalry recrossed the Tennessee River near Rogersville, Alabama, ending its raid.
An Encyclopedia by Huping Ling, Allan W. Austin
The Angel Island Immigration Station in San Francisco Bay was opened in 1910 to help handle the heavy flow of immigrants from Asian countries into the United States. By the time it closed in 1940, more than 1 million newcomers to the ...
by John D. H. Downing
Apart from Homa Bay Radio, which ran for a couple of years in the 1980s, Kenya had had little community broadcasting, and Koch FM was the first community station in a Kenyan slum. A group of local youngsters from different communities ...
by Geological Survey (U.S.)
Station. Carbon, Mo Car bon, Tex Carbon, W. Va Carbon, Wyo Carbon Center, Mo Carbondale, Cal Caí boiulale, Colo Carbondale, lll Carboi. <Ыe, Kans Carbondule, Pa Carbondale, Terni Carbon II ill, Kans Carbon Hill, Ohio, Monday Creek ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Station
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Station
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mike138
Photo credit: matsuyuki
@Nankai Railways, Takaishi station
Photo credit: akaitori
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: zimpenfish
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: Tagosaku
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: blondinrikard
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: GMT9
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: Yuya Tamai
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: andreashallgren
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Station
Click on an item to play that video:
- Station Model Explanation
- Cantonese Vocabulary: MTR Station Names 1
In this lesson, you will learn the correct Cantonese pronunciation of the names of some MTR stations on the Kowloon side, together with their meanings, some ...
- Shading Station Explanation
A look at the camera shading station at the Florida Hospital SDA Church video control room.
- Red Cup Proxe Station - Short Definition
A short definition of the Red Cup Proxe station; designed to be followed up with stories of Red Cup and how it impacts both students on campus and InterVarsity ...
- BUILD Math Station Explanation
- Explanation station
- Best Explanation of Edison Illuminating Co Station; GoPro Action Camera
- Weight Training Station Vocabulary
Weight Training Station Vocabulary-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- A whole new meaning to "Station Spinning"
CCP at it's very finest. Docking is going to be such a pain.... Game: EvE online Music: Dustsucker by Jens Kiilstofte Listen here: ...
- Hydrogen station Meaning
Video shows what hydrogen station means. a service station for hydrogen vehicles. Hydrogen station Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Van Meter Elem PE (Halloween SOS Station Explanation)
- Station Meaning
Video shows what station means. The fact of standing still; motionlessness, stasis.. The apparent standing still of a superior planet just before it begins or ends its ...
- NIBIRU explanation and footage from Nuemayer Station
- Cattle station Meaning
Video shows what cattle station means. A large farm in Australia, (the equivalent of ranch), usually in the outback, whose main activity is the raising of cattle, and ...
- Planning -Integration Station: Grade 5 Language Arts and Social Studies
Planning -Integration Station: Grade 5 Language Arts and Social Studies This planning session will show the rationale for integrating Language arts and social ...
- GZ0F Station Description
A quick look at the GZ0F amateur radio contest station.
- Rail Station Description with friend
Two friends having fun on tha rail station. One of them is describing the rail station.
- Incubation Station Verb ver2
- ESL Versus | Cleaning in Station | SKILL SF2
View more videos about Gas station, Fire Station, Station Bill, Power Station, Radio Station, Space station, Train station, Weigh station, Mobile station, Police Station, Voting Station, College Station, Docking station, Filling station, Fueling Station, Polling station, service station, Fuelling station, and Broadcast Station.
See also the pronunciation examples of Station!
Quotes about Station
Let us forever forget that every station in life is necessarily that each deserves our respect; that not the station itself; but the worthy fulfillment of its duties does honor the man. (Mary Lyon)
more quotes about station...
Scrabble value of S1T1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Station!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Station to see it in context!