Stern appears in the following tongue twister:
- Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt.
Not a punt cut square,
Just a square cut punt.
It's round in the stern and blunt in the front.
Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun stern:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective stern:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun stern
- Definition of the adjective stern
- Phrases with Stern
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stern
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stern
- Photos about Stern
- Video language resources about Stern
- Sign language
- Quotes about Stern
- Scrabble value of S1T1E1R1N1
- Anagrams of STERN
- Share this page
Stern is sometimes a misspelling of stolen.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun stern
What does stern mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sterns
- the rear part of a ship
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of stern: after part / poop / quarter / tail
- more generic words: back / rear = the side that goes last or is not normally seen
- part of: ship = a vessel that carries passengers or freight
- United States concert violinist (born in Russia in 1920)
- the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of stern: arse / ass / backside / behind / bottom / bum / buns / butt / buttocks / can / derriere / fanny / fundament / hind end / hindquarters / keister / nates / posterior / prat / rear / rear end / rump / seat / tail / tail end / tooshie / tush
- more generic term: body part = any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
- part of: body / torso / trunk = the body excluding the head and neck and limbs
Specialised definition of the noun stern
Glossary of sports / canoeing
the rear end of a canoe (or any boat)
Glossary of sports / rowing
the back end of the boat (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
the back part of a boat
Glossary of sports / sailing
the aft part of a ship (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- antonym: bow
the after or hind part of a boat (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- antonym: bow
Definition of the adjective stern
What does stern mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: sterner | sternest
- of a stern or strict bearing or demeanor; forbidding in aspect
- not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty
- severe and unremitting in making demands
- severely simple
Alternative definition of the adjective stern
- having a hardness and severity of nature or manner
- grim and forbidding in appearance
- Stern is the name of two different but related arcade gaming companies: Stern Electronics, Inc. and Stern Pinball, Inc.
- also known as Stern Electronics Inc.
- Stern a.k.a. Stërn: Automotive Parts - Audi / Volkswagen Specialized...
- official website: www.sternproducts.com
Who is Stern?
Stern a.k.a. Adrian Stern ist ein Schweizer Sänger und Songschreiber aus Baden, der im Ostaargauer Dialekt singt.
- read more about Adrian Stern (musical artist)
- Stern is a fictional character from Lupin III.
- Stern is a fictional character from the 1969 film Man on Horseback.
- Stern is a fictional character from the 1959 film The Bridge.
- Stern is a fictional character from the 2013 film Hiob.
There are other characters with in their name, like Stern's, Ben Stern, Hal Stern, Ray Stern, Andy Stern, Aaron Stern, Barry Stern, Bruce Stern, Donna Stern, Isaac Stern, Nancy Stern, Susan Stern, Bonnie Stern, George Stern, Howard Stern, Itzhak Stern, Howard K Stern, Elizabeth Stern, Howard K. Stern and Katherine Stern.
- "Stern" is a book by Bruce Jay Friedman.
- also known as "Stern, a novel"
- genre: Fiction
- subjects: Classics, Literary
- "Stern" is a book by Nancy B. Stern.
- "Stern" is a musical album of Adrian Stern.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Stern" is a musical album of Kong.
- released on
- "Stern" is a musical single of Schweisser.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Stern" is a composition.
- "Stern" is a composition.
- music by Gas
- The stern is the back or aft-most part of a ship or boat, technically defined as the area built up over the sternpost, extending upwards from the counter rail to the taffrail. The stern lies opposite of the bow, the foremost part of a ship. Originally, the term only referred to the aft port section of the ship, but eventually came to refer to the entire back of a vessel. The stern end of a ship is indicated with a white navigation light at night.
- Stern is a weekly news magazine published in Germany by Gruner + Jahr, a subsidiary of Bertelsmann. Its founder in 1948 was Henri Nannen. In the first quarter of 2006, its print run was 1.019 million copies and it reached 7.84 million readers according to Media-Analyse.
- also known as 亮点
- official website: stern.de
- Stern is a family name which can be of either German/Yiddish or English language origin, though the former case predominates.
- Stern is a family name.
Phrases with Stern
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stern
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Barron's PCAT (2002)
How to Prepare for the Pharmacy College Admission Test by Marie A. Chisholm
The adjective stern means grim or ...
The Reporter (1916)
Being stern means to convey the impression that your word is law. What you say you mean; what you instruct you want carried out to the letter. When your help become conscious of this attitude you will have found the first essential to shop ...
by Michael D. Murray
Stern. graphic, and the CBS Laboratories Division was a distinct interest to him. From this division, the long-playing record revitalized the music market and the color television timetable worldwide was advanced by the seminal work of CBS ...
by P. Somasundaran
The Stern Model The Gouy-Chapman theory has been criticized for the rather simplistic ...
A Biographical Encyclopedia by David A. Dieterle Ph.D.
Stern dedicated himself to promotion of international economies implementing “ green” innovation and jobs with countries committed to low-carbon technologies. Stern saw this “green” industrial revolution as an opportunity for poverty ...
by William Falconer
exhibits a stern view of a 60 gun-ship, with the curve of the frame-timbers on one fide, and the disposition of all the planks of the bottom on the other side. Fig. 3. represents a stern view of a French man of war of 70 guns. Plate Xl. fig.
An Universal Dictionary of the Marine: Or, A Copious Explanation of the Technical Terms and Phrases Employed in the Construction, Equipment, Furniture, Machinery, Movements, and Military Operations of a Ship (1784)
by William Falconer
exhibits a stern view of a 6o gun-ship, with the curve of the frame-timbers on one side, and the disposition of all the planks of the bottom on the other side. Fig. 3. represents a stern view of a French man of war of 7o guns. Plate XI. fig.
by Jeanne Mager Stellman
• Stern trawler. Figure 66.6 • Small linefishing high-speed boat ( stationary). (otter boards), one on each side of the mouth of the net, are set at an angle to keep the net open when pulled by the vessel along the bottom (see figure ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stern
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Stern
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: zimpenfish
USS Missouri - Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Photo credit: StuSeeger
At the SS Great Britian
Photo credit: simon***
Taken with picplz.
Photo credit: bebal
Photo credit: andreasdantz
Photo credit: Karamellzucker
Photo credit: Mr Moss
Photo credit: CarbonNYC [in SF!]
Small boat on a cold winters day in the copenhagen harbor
Photo credit: lau.svensson
Mercedes Benz 220 SE
Photo credit: Thorsten Haustein
Photo credit: soham_pablo
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: Sparky's-Photos
Photo credit: Treforlutions TreVizionz
Photo credit: QuinnDombrowski
Photo credit: Stewart Black
Photo credit: Thorsten Haustein
Unerwarteter Abschluss einer interessanten Session.
Gemeinschaftsarbeit kesslflickr und derpoly
Photo credit: derpoly
- Stern Arctique
Photo credit: THS D90
- Maxwell Stern
Playing Red Onion Records, Washington, DC.
Photo credit: MikeSpeaks
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Stern
Click on an item to play that video:
- Stern Meaning
Video shows what stern means. Having a hardness and severity of nature or manner.. Grim and forbidding in appearance.. stern pronunciation. How to ...
- Video Vocabulary - "stern" definition
Created by Mei and Sonal in Seisen International school.
- Vocabulary: Stern
- Chris Cortez Stern Language
Chris Cortez (guitar), Glen Ackerman (bass), Memo Reza (drums), Will Cruz (percussion) and Jonathan Christie (sax) performing Cortez's song Stern Language.
- Mike Stern Trio -Language (Live in Ilhabela Jazz Festival 2015 Ilhabela-SP Brazil)
Mike Stern-Guitar Dennis Chambers-Drums Janek Gwizdala - Bass.
- Stern Language Cleveland Indians 2012 Preview
- Stern Language Balls Deep Detroit Tigers 2012 Preview
See also the pronunciation examples of Stern!
Shoshannah Stern, Sign Language and Adventures of Power
Shoshannah Stern vlogs about Adventures of Power...
Quotes about Stern
Scrabble value of S1T1E1R1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STERN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Stern!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Stern to see it in context!