Strategy appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Strategy: get arts.
- Draw a strategy; get arts award.
- So may get Arts award. Draw a strategy, Amos.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun strategy:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun strategy
- Phrases with Strategy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Strategy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Strategy
- Photos about Strategy
- Video language resources about Strategy
- Sign language
- Quotes about Strategy
- Scrabble value of S1T1R1A1T1E1G2Y4
- Share this page
The word strategy and its family (strategic, strategies, strategically, strategist, strategists) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun strategy
What does strategy mean as a name of something?
Strategy is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: strategies
- an elaborate and systematic plan of action
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of strategy: scheme
- more generic term: plan of action = a plan for actively doing something
- more specific terms:
- contrivance / stratagem / dodge = an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade
- counterterrorism = a strategy intended to prevent or counter terrorism
- game plan = a plan for achieving an objective in some sport
- game plan = a carefully thought out strategy for achieving an objective in war or politics or business or personal affairs
- house of cards / bubble = a speculative scheme that depends on unstable factors that the planner cannot control
- playbook = a scheme or set of strategies for conducting a business campaign or a political campaign
- secret plan / game / plot = a secret scheme to do something
- pyramid scheme = a fraudulent scheme in which people are recruited to make payments to the person who recruited them while expecting to receive payments from the persons they recruit
- waiting game = a strategy of delay
- wheeze = a clever or amusing scheme or trick
- incentive program / incentive scheme = a formal scheme for inducing someone (as employees) to do something
- the branch of military science dealing with military command and the planning and conduct of a war
Alternative definition of the noun strategy
- The science and art of military command as applied to the overall planning and conduct of warfare
- coordinate terms: tactics
- A plan of action intended to accomplish a specific goal
- The art of using similar techniques in politics or business
Specialised definition of the noun strategy
Glossary of sports
a carefully devised plan of action to achieve a goal, or the art of developing or carrying out such a plan (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Strategy is a solitaire card game which uses a deck of 52 playing cards. It belongs to the same family as Sir Tommy and Calculation, and this can be regarded as the more difficult cousin of Sir Tommy.
- "Strategy" is a book by Edward Luttwak.
- also known as "Strategy: the logic of war and peace"
- "Strategy" is a book by Alexander Andreyevich Svechin.
- "Strategy" is a musical album of Archie Bell and The Drells.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Strategy" is a musical album of Horace X.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Strategy" is a composition.
- music by Devon Allman
- "Strategy" a.k.a. "The Early Tapes Jul/Aug 1980": The Early Tapes, also known as Strategy, is the second album released, but first to be recorded, by the British group Level 42. The band subsequently signed to Polydor, who bought the masters from Elite and issued it in March 1982. It features Level 42's first two singles - "Love Meeting Love" and " Wings Of Love". Most of the tracks are instrumental.
- read more about The Early Tapes Jul/Aug 1980
Strategy is a musical group, record producers.
- Strategy is a high level plan to achieve one or more goals under conditions of uncertainty. In the sense of the "art of the general", which included several subsets of skills including "tactics", siegecraft, logistics etc., the term came into use in the 6th century C.E. in East Roman terminology, and was translated into Western vernacular languages only in the 18th century. From then until the 20th century, the word "strategy" came to denote "a comprehensive way to try to pursue political ends, including the threat or actual use of force, in a dialectic of wills" in a military conflict, in which both adversaries interact.
- also known as 戰略, אסטרטגיה (מדע המדינה), 战略
- Strategy: In game theory, player's strategy is any of the options he or she can choose in a setting where the outcome depends not only on his own actions but on the action of others. A player's strategy will determine the action the player will take at any stage of the game.
- Strategy is a Canadian game show television series which aired on CBC Television in 1969, with Alex Trebek as host, accompanied by announcer Jay Nelson and model Dee Miles. The half-hour series was broadcast weekdays at 2:00 p.m. from 1 April to 7 October 1969.
- begun on and completed on (46 years ago)
- country: Canada
- Strategy: Classification of the primary strategy.
- Strategy is a field of study.
- Strategy a.k.a. Strategy. is a field of study.
Phrases with Strategy
- Strategy game
- Exit Strategy
- Strap Strategy
- Strip Strategy
- pac-man strategy
- Real-time strategy
- beggar-my-neighbor strategy
- beggar-my-neighbour strategy
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Strategy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Institutional Perspective on Configurations in Russia by Tobias Weigl
79-84 Strategy is a series of actions by a firm that are decided on according to the particular situation.
Strategy is the determinator of the basic long-term goals of an enterprise, and the adoption of courses of action and the allocation of ...
Strategic Value from Portfolios, Programs, and Projects by Carlos Eduardo Martins Serra
defines that: Corporate strategy is the pattern of major objectives , purposes or goals and essential policies or plans for achieving those goals, stated in such a way as to define what business the company is in or is to be in and ...
by K. Ellis, Amanda J. Gregory, B.R. Mears-Young, Gillian Ragsdell
“Strategy is the pattern of objectives, purposes or goals and major policies and plans for...
25th International Conference, Hyderabad, India, December 15-18, 2005, Proceedings by R. Ramanujam, Sandeep Sen
A strategy is a function D that resolves nondeterminism for the controllable states of M. Similarly as in , we distinguish among four basic types of strategies for (M, S 0), according to whether they are deterministic (D) or randomized (R), and ...
Therefore, formulating strategy is an unstructured and complex task also it deals with uncertainty. Fig.3.3 shows the formulation...
by Nancy Borkowski
Because the organization's external environment is in a constant state of change, strategy is an ongoing and continual process. Effective strategy is not reactive to change, but proactive in anticipating the need for change, planning appropriate ...
by Aubrey Malphurs
First, the strategy is the vehicle that accomplishes the church's mission and also the vision. Without a clear, high-impact strategy,
Your strategy is a disciple- making process that has clear, discernible steps. Your people need to know the step ...
Cases, Strategies, and Solutions by Marion J. Ball, Charlotte A. Weaver, Joan M. Kiel, Donald W. Simborg, Judith V. Douglas, James W. Albright
One of the most important parts of this is in understanding the different aspects of strategy: • Strategy is a plan—a consciously intended course of action to deal with a situation. As plan, strategy deals with how leaders try to establish direction ...
by Ken Booth
André Gide Strategy is a universal preoccupation of governments. Those responsible for the security of political units cannot opt out of it, for the threat and use of force as instruments of policy will not go away simply as a result of wishing or ...
by Michael Armstrong, Stephen Taylor
Strategy is the approach selected to achieve specified aims in the future.
How to Manage (2015)
The definitive guide to effective management by Jo Owen
Classical strategy Classical strategy is a world of cause and effect. It is a search for the business equivalent of...
The bad news about formulaic strategy is that it is extremely dangerous.
by Steven G. Rogelberg
As such, strategy is not the simple maintenance of generic, imitable tactics of operational effectiveness. It is more than strategic planning, or the set of steps and instructions people in an organization follow to meet strategic goals. To first be ...
by Wang, Victor C. X.
Organizational strategy is another term worthy of exploration because the organizational strategy is often confused with the organizational tactics. The organizational strategy represents the higher order mandates and directives for an ...
The Internet Encyclopedia (2004)
by Hossein Bidgoli
Figure 4: Cost and flexibility considerations in choosing a global production strategy.
High Operational Cost Low Low Flexibility and Responsiveness High International Production Strategy Here, the domestic enterprise imports and exports ...
by Linda E. Swayne, Mark Dodds
Creative strategy in advertising involves creating a relevant connection between an organization or brand and its target audience in an unexpected way while delivering a sales message. Creative strategies are used in order to acquire ...
Conflict in Ancient Greece and Rome: The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia [3 volumes] (2016)
The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia by Sara E. Phang, Iain Spence Ph.D., Douglas Kelly Ph.D., Peter Londey Ph.D.
Phang See also Frontinus; Strategy Further Reading Campbell, Brian. 2004. Greek and Roman Military Writers: Selected Readings. London/New York: Routledge. Wheeler, Everett L. 1988. Stratagem and the Vocabulary of Military ...
The Dictionary of Marketing (2008)
by Azaz Motiwala
Image Enhancer A strategy for the category which creates and communicates the retailer's chosen ...
by R. J. Barry Jones
The term 'global strategy' is usually associated with the planning procedure adopted by governments, firms and other organizations in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Strategy may be defined as planning ahead to secure advantage or ...
Volume 56 - Supercritical Fluid Technology: Theory and Application to Technology Forecasting by John J. McKetta Jr
Corporate strategy is a pattern of decisions related to both short- and long-term objectives and the plans and policies for achieving them. For a diversified corporation involved in different products and markets, different courses of action for ...
Encyclopedia of Finance (2006)
by Cheng-Few Lee
Abstract A strategy that buys past winners and simultaneously sells past losers based on stock performance in the past 3 to...
Encyclopedia of leadership (2004)
A-E by George R. Goethals, Georgia Jones Sorenson, James MacGregor Burns
Competition may be the preferred strategy in a one-time transaction in which the substantive outcome is very important. It may also be preferred when a leader distrusts, dislikes, or does not desire a long-term relationship with another person .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Strategy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Strategy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Baseball @ El Terrero, Namiquipa, Chihuahua
Photo credit: jrsnchzhrs
Photo credit: lukask
If there was a strategy to the drop, this would no be it.
Photo credit: compujeramey
Workshop in progress on the 24th floor
Photo credit: Lars Plougmann
Coach told a strategy to his team before a soccer game.
Usage: Free for personal or non-profit. License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike. Credit: Budi Nusyirwan (Bukrie) - stock.bukrie.org.
Photo credit: bukrie
- Hunting strategy
Photo credit: aleksandrajovovich
- Strategy meeting
Making waves in Sydney harbour
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
- Strategy meeting
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
- Nonprofit Communications - Content Strategy
Nonprofit Communications with and without a Content Strategy -- in other words, why you need one.
Photo credit: kivilm
- Framework: Strategy Before Tools
Photo credit: cambodia4kidsorg
- Digital Strategy Workshop
Jasper Visser on stage
Photo credit: conxa.roda
Photo credit: danxoneil
- Three Pronged Strategy
Photo credit: mikecogh
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Strategy
Click on an item to play that video:
- 4 Corner Vocabulary Teaching Strategy
The step-by-step lesson incorporating the 4 Corner Vocabulary teaching strategy.
- SDAIE Lesson Strategy: Vocabulary Cards
You may have heard of Sheltered Instruction, Differentiated Instruction or SIOP method. These are pretty much the same principle as SDAIE (Specially Designed ...
- Betfair Trading Video - Tennis strategy and bet activity explanation
To help explain blog post -...
- Go-to-market strategy - definition
The term Go-To-Market strategy refers to the channels a company will use to connect with its customers / business and the organisational processes it develops ...
- Vocabulary Building Strategy: Vocabulary Foldable
Holly LaVine shows her 3rd graders how to create a "vocabulary foldable".
- LINCS Vocabulary Strategy
- 0614 marketing product strategy definition powerpoint presentation slide template
- Pet Rescue Saga Level 82, [link to written strategy explanation]
Pet Rescue Saga Level 82 EXACT GUIDE ON ORDER TO PLAY AT...
- Strategy: Embedded vocabulary
Andrea talks about the strategies she learned for using embedded vocabulary.
- Reading for Meaning: CUPS Strategy
This is the first instructional video for the Coweta Public Schools literacy initiative; the focus of this video is the CUPS strategy for reading.
- Vocabulary Strategy LINCS
A vocabulary strategy for students of all ages and abilitites.
- EU Lisbon Strategy - a definition
A broad strategy agreed in Lisbon in 2000 to make the European Union more competitive by, for example, undertaking research and training, increasing ...
- Math Vocabulary Strategy
- Vocabulary Self-collection Strategy Plus Examples
Video examples of student VSS+ dictionary and entries. Thomas DeVere Wolsey, Linda Smetana, & Dana L. Grisham International Reading Association, New ...
- Vocab In Action DVD: Vocabulary Strategy in Action Excerpt
In this excerpt from Vocab in Action, an elementary school teacher explains how she used vocabulary strategies from the books by ASCD author Marilee ...
- ELL Vocabulary Lesson Strategy
This is an example of how you might teach vocabulary lesson to ELLs (English Language Learners)
- A brief explanation of Content Strategy
- Frayer Model Vocabulary Strategy
- Dr. Shane Templeton and the Tower of Talk Vocabulary Strategy
Support struggling students with Dr. Templeton's Tower of Talk vocabulary acquisition strategy. Listen to Dr. Shane Templeton explain the steps to use his ...
- Social Media Planning | Social Media Definition | Social Media Marketing Plan and Strategy
- Simon Sinek on Why Language is Fundamental to Strategy Planning
In Chapter 14 of 16 in his 2012 Capture Your Flag interview, author and public speaker Simon Sinek answers "How Do You Make Strategic Thinking...
- STRATEGY: LANGUAGE EXPERIENCE APPROACH
This 2-minute mini-lesson describes the Language Experience Approach. This is a naturalistic ways to teach phonics skills and at the same time, develop ...
- 151009 Strategy Description Jens
Intraday Parabolic Short, Strategy, Rough Description.
- Yu-Gi-Oh Decade Duel Exodia Deck Strategy (Description)
you need: -Exodia -3x Heart of the Underdog/ Herz des Unterlegenen (Important!!) -Optional Messenger of Peace/Friedensbote or Level Limit-Area ...
- English Language Arts Success Strategy
ELAseminars.com presents a"Surefire Success Strategy" for English Language Arts teachers.
- [KMUTT Toeic Strategy] Verb & Helping Verb [21/03/58]
- Planning in Plain Language: Community Building Strategy
- Language Learning Strategy: Essay Mind Map
Strategies for Successful English Language Learning.
- [BODY LANGUAGE STRATEGY] How to deliver a proper "hand shake" - Eliot Hoppe -
BODY LANGUAGE STRATEGY - How to deliver a handshake the right way to influence the first impression of a client or potential client. The non verbal ...
- ESL Jigsaw Strategy about Assumption College Thonburi
Jigsaw strategy can be used in ESL teaching as applied by Rolly Obedencio to Grade 9 students at Assumption College Thonburi, Bangkok, Thailand on Nov 9, ...
View more videos about Strap Strategy.
See also the pronunciation examples of Strategy!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Disability Strategy Summary in Sign Language
New Plymouth District Council Disability Strategy Summary presented in sign language.
- Disability Strategy Welcome - American Sign Language
American Sign Language (ASL) version of the welcome message for the Saskatchewan Disability Strategy's public consultations.
- Key strategy for success in teaching Baby Sign Language.
- American Sign Language: What is Reading Strategy(2/2)
Upload to 2011/05/16.
Quotes about Strategy
Scrabble value of S1T1R1A1T1E1G2Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Strategy to see it in context!