Straw appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- straw warts
- Didi won straw warts, now I did.
- Straw? No, too stupid a fad, I put soot on warts.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun straw:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun straw
- Definition of the adjective straw
- Definition of the verb straw
- Phrases with Straw
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Straw
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Straw
- Photos about Straw
- Videos about Straw
- Quotes about Straw
- Scrabble value of S1T1R1A1W4
- Anagrams of STRAW
- Share this page
The word straw is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun straw
What does straw mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: straws
- plant fiber used e.g. for making baskets and hats or as fodder
- material consisting of seed coverings and small pieces of stem or leaves that have been separated from the seeds
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of straw: chaff / husk / shuck / stalk / stubble
- more generic terms: plant material / plant substance = material derived from plants
- more specific word: bran = broken husks of the seeds of cereal grains that are separated from the flour by sifting
- a variable yellow tint; dull yellow, often diluted with white
- a thin paper or plastic tube used to suck liquids into the mouth
Definition of the adjective straw
What does straw mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- of a pale yellow color like straw; straw-colored
- similar: chromatic
Definition of the verb straw
What does straw mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: strawed | strawing | straws
- cover or provide with or as if with straw
- spread by scattering (
Straw were an English pop band that released one album, Shoplifting, in 1999.
- genres: Britpop, Indie rock, Independent music
- albums: "The Aeroplane Song", "Moving to California", "Sailing Off the Edge of the World", "Shoplifting", "Weird Superman"
"Straw" is a musical album of Mental Destruction.
- released in (20 years ago)
Straw is a fictional character from the 2003 film The Reckoning.
- Straw is a small village and townland in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 57. It is in the Magherafelt District Council area.
- also known as Straw, County Londonderry
- part of United Kingdom
- Straw a.k.a. Straw, Kentucky: Straw is an unincorporated community located in Edmonson County, Kentucky, United States.
- read more about Straw, Kentucky
- Straw is an agricultural by-product, the dry stalks of cereal plants, after the grain and chaff have been removed. Straw makes up about half of the yield of cereal crops such as barley, oats, rice, rye and wheat. It has many uses, including fuel, livestock bedding and fodder, thatching and basket-making. It is usually gathered and stored in a straw bale, which is a bundle of straw tightly bound with twine or wire. Bales may be square, rectangular, or round, depending on the type of baler used.
- also known as 秸秆
- Straw is a colour, a tone of pale yellow, the colour of straw.
- Straw is an Arabian-nights-themed card game designed by Richard James and published by Alderac Entertainment Group in 2008, with artwork by Octographics. The game is packaged with a rule book in English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish, but the cards are common using numbers and symbols instead of text.
- Straw: A cryopreservation straw is a small storage device used for the cryogenic storage of liquid samples, often in a biobank or collection of sample. Their most common application is for storage of sperm for in-vitro fertilization.
- Straw a.k.a. Deadgrass: A dog coat color that can range from faded tan to dull straw.
- read more about Deadgrass
- Straw is made by drying Grass.
Phrases with Straw
Phrases starting with the word Straw:
- straw hat
- straw man
- Straw Tun
- straw boss
- Straw Nail
- straw poll
- Straw Shoe
- Straw Tick
- straw vote
- straw wine
- Straw donor
Phrases ending with the word Straw:
View more phrases with the word Straw in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Straw
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Albert Barnes
Hast not strawed. The word straw means to scatter — as men scatter seed in sowing it. It may mean also ...
Straw, straw, n. the stalk on which corn grows, and from which it is thrashed: a quantity of these when thrashed: anything worthless, the least possible thing.—ns .Straw ′berry, thedelicious and fragrant fruitof any ofthe species of the genus ...
Historic and Modern by Mary Brooks Picken
woven straw, natural or synthetic. leghorn s. (leg horn or leg ern). Finely plaited straw made from kind of wheat, cut green and bleached. Named for Leghorn ( English name for Livorno), Italy, where exported. linen s. Any smooth, closely woven ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* STRAW ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Straw
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Straw
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: barockschloss
Photo credit: sk8geek
- Straw rolls
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Straw galore!
A beautiful summers day with BIG Suffolk skies and the BIG straw bales..
Photo credit: Caroline Lawrence Photography
- Straw Meerkat
Photo credit: Paolo Camera
- Straw.. Cover
Photo credit: Randomthoughtstome
- Straw Central
This just looked so interesting...
Photo credit: gotbrimmed
- Bundles of straw
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Old straw basket
Photo credit: storebukkebruse
- Straw wanted poster
Jack Straw upsets the police
Photo credit: The Lakelander
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Straw
Click on an item to play that video:
- Straw Meaning
Video shows what straw means. A dried stalk of a cereal plant.. Such dried stalks considered collectively.. A drinking straw.. straw pronunciation. How to ...
- Quit Smoking 02 Moorea Straw Explanation
- Bendy straw Meaning
Video shows what bendy straw means. A drinking straw with a corrugated, bendable section. Bendy straw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Man of straw Meaning
Video shows what man of straw means. A weak person.. One who is financially irresponsible.. A tactic used in debates and arguments where a weaker thesis is ...
- Idiom: THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK
The idiom THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK defined by Robert from Peterborough in the United Kingdom. English Language Newspaper: ...
- Volta's straw electrometer - explanation
Explanation of Volta's straw electrometer.
- Explanation of Correct Straw Farting Technique
Ever wonder exactly how to blow farts through a straw, using only your armpit?
- SBDC 2009 pre fab straw bale explanation
- The straw that broke the camel's back Meaning
Video shows what the straw that broke the camel's back means. A small and seemingly insignificant addition to a burden that renders it too much to bear, the ...
- Straw hat Meaning
Video shows what straw hat means. A stiff hat, with a flat crown and a brim, made from woven straw.. Straw hat Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Definition Of Straw
Definition Of Straw.
- Straw boss Meaning
Video shows what straw boss means. A worker acting as a supervisor of other workers. Straw boss Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Slice and Straw; pronunciation, definition and examples - Oral English Daily Minute x 006
Slice and Straw; pronunciation, definition and examples - Oral English Daily Minute x 006.
- Volta's straw electrometer - description
- Brain Age Language Arts Piano Player Sippin' Cider Through a Straw TOD 99 Points Rocket Ship Speed
View more videos about Straw man, Bang Straw, Last Straw, Straw Nail, Straw poll, Straw Shoe, Straw Tick, Final Straw, Onion Straw, Silly Straw, Straw donor, Cheese straw, Drinking straw, Sampling Straw, Straw Mushroom, Draw the Short Straw, and Buy Straw Hats in Winter.
See also the pronunciation examples of Straw!
Quotes about Straw
Scrabble value of S1T1R1A1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STRAW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
- W STAR
See also the blanagrams of Straw!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Straw to see it in context!