The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun stripes:
The word stripes is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun stripes
What does stripes mean as a name of something?
- V-shaped sleeve badge indicating military rank and service
- example: they earned their stripes in Kuwait
- domain: armed forces / armed services / military / military machine / war machine
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of stripes: chevron / grade insignia / stripe
- more generic word: badge = an emblem (a small piece of plastic or cloth or metal) that signifies your status
- "Stripes" is a 1981 American war-comedy film directed by Ivan Reitman, starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates, P. J. Soles, and John Candy. It also featured several actors in their first significant film roles, including John Larroquette, Sean Young, John Diehl, and Judge Reinhold. It was one of John Candy's breakthrough film appearances. Dave Thomas, Bill Paxton, Joe Flaherty, and Timothy Busfield also appear.
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Czech Language, Russian Language, Polish Language
- producer: Ivan Reitman
- written by Harold Ramis, Daniel Goldberg, Len Blum
- Warren Oates as Sgt. Hulka
- John Candy as Ox
- Judge Reinhold as Elmo
- John Larroquette as Capt. Stillman
- Sean Young as Louise
- Bill Murray as John Winger
- Harold Ramis as Russell Ziskey
- P. J. Soles as Stella
- as Kate Mulgrew
- John Voldstad as Stillman's Aide
- Dennis Quaid
- John Diehl as Cruiser
- Lance LeGault as Col. Glass
- Roberta Leighton as Anita
- Conrad Dunn as Francis 'Psycho' Soyer
- Antone Pagan as Hector
- Glenn-Michael Jones as Leon
- William Lucking as Recruiter
- Fran Ryan as Dowager in Cab
- Joe Flaherty as Border Guard #1
- Nick Toth as Border Guard #2
- Dave Thomas as M.C.
- Robin Klein as Cheerleader
- Robert J. Wilke as Gen. Barnicke
- Lois Hamilton as Stillman's Girlfriend
- Samuel Briggs as Corporal
- Hershel B. Harlson as Shoeshine Man
- Timothy Busfield as Soldier with Mortar
- Solomon Schmidt as Store Owner
- Gino Gottarelli as Russian Officer #1
- Gene Scherer as Russian Officer #2
- Dawn Clark as Mud Wrestler #1
- Anita Merritt as Mud Wrestler #2
- Susan Mechsner as Mud Wrestler #3
- Sue Bowser as Mud Wrestler #4
- Linda Dupree as Mud Wrestler #5
- Leslie Henderson as Mud Wrestler #6
- Craig Schaefer as Soldier Outside Motor Pool
- Arkady Rakhman as Immigrant
- Pamela Bowman as Cruiser's Girl
- Gerard J. Counts as Russian Soldier #1
- Yetim Buntsis as Russian Soldier #2
- Semyon Veyts as Russian Soldier #3
- Larry R. Gillette as Russian Soldier #4
- Glenn Leigh Marshall as Russian Soldier #5
- Dale Prince as Russian Soldier #6
- Larry Odell Lane as Soldier #1
- Joyce D. Helmus as Soldier #2
- David A. Mullins as Soldier #3
- Bruce E. Ellis as Soldier #4
- cinematography by Bill Butler
- edited by Michael Luciano
- music by Elmer Bernstein
- set decoration by Carl Biddiscombe
- locations: Clermont, Kentucky, Louisville, Fort Knox
- genres: Buddy film, Action Film, Parody, Action/Adventure, Comedy, Adventure Film, War film
- tagline: The story of a man who wanted to keep the world safe for democracy...and meet girls.
- rating: R (USA), 0+ (RU)
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Stripes" is a 1987 short film written and directed by Constantinos Kapakas.
"Stripes" is a book by Monica Hughes.
- also known as "Stripes (Collins Big Cat)"
- Stripes is a fictional character from the 2005 adventure, comedy, drama film Racing Stripes.
- Stripes is a fictional character from the 1992 film Severed Ties.
- Stripes is a fictional character from the 2004 film Nick Name & the Normals.
- "Stripes" a.k.a. "Stripes!" is a musical album of Elmer Bernstein, soundtrack.
- also known as Stripes! Soundtrack
- released in (34 years ago)
- "Stripes" is a musical album of Elmer Bernstein, soundtrack.
- also known as Stripes Soundtrack
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Stripes" is a musical single of FM Belfast.
- released on
- "STRIPES" is a composition.
- music by ZUN
- "Stripes" is a song by Brandy Clark.
Who is Stripes?
Stripes appeared in the 2011 film Water for Elephants.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Stripes (actor)
Stripes a.k.a. The Stripes were a German pop music ensemble founded in Hagen, Germany, by Rainer Kitzman, who played guitar. The lead singer was Gabriele Susanne Kerner, before she became known as Nena Kerner, who would later form the band Nena. Another future member of the band Nena, Rolf Brendel, played the drums. Frank Röhler played bass. The band was known for singing exclusively in English. They released four singles and one studio album, after which they split up. Their song "Ecstasy" was a minor hit.
Stripes was a restaurant located at 114 Office Park Road, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- Stripes is an open source web application framework based on the model–view–controller pattern. It aims to be a lighter weight framework than Struts by using Java technologies such as annotations and generics that were introduced in Java 1.5, to achieve "convention over configuration". This emphasizes the idea that a set of simple conventions used throughout the framework reduce configuration overhead. In practice, this means that Stripe applications barely need any configuration files, thus reducing development and maintenance work.
- genre: Web application framework
- license: Apache License
- official website: www.stripesframework.org
- Stripes is a school mascot.
Phrases with Stripes
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stripes
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Mysterious, Fascinating by James Qallan Dixon
AMERICAN RED, WHITE AND BLUE 'Tis the flag of our country, And long may it wave O'er the home of the free And the land of the brave ; For its stars and its stripes Is the flag of the true. So up with Old Glory, The Red, White and Blue.
5th International Workshop, PARA 2000 Bergen, Norway, June 18-20, 2000 Proceedings by Tor Sorevik
Stripes. Since stripes is a static...
by Albert Furrer
A likely alternative method for pinning stripes is the substitution of a small amount of nonmagnetic Zn for Cu. An earlier indication of this possibility was provided in a study by Koike et al. , in which it was shown that substitution of 1% Zn in ...
by Henry E. Allison
This is because the defining feature of heteronomy-based moral theories of all stripes is that they seek the source of the authority or normative force of whatever law or moral principle to which they subscribe in some object of volition, which, ...
by James A. Anderson, Andras Pellionisz
The third fact relating to stripes is that both the ocular dominance columns in area 17(Hube! and ...
After Yugoslavia (2013)
The Cultural Spaces of a Vanished Land by Radmila Gorup
The plastic bag with red, blue, and white stripes is a nomad, a refugee, a hobo, a master of survival; it crosses borders without a passport and rides the cheapest transportation without a ticket.5 Into this imaginary bag, during the first semester, ...
by William K. Emerson
Stripes made of flat pieces of material were often added over the pants leg seams , but at times soldiers added welts (round cordage usually inserted into the seam) during the nineteenth century. Enlisted men's military trouser stripes or welts ...
The Encyclopaedia Britanica (1888)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature. Supplement
and witnessed the surren- stripes became enceforward the_ recognized symbol der of Burgoyne at Saramga, Oct. 17, 1777, and the of a new ...
It is a rather small species, standing about four feet at the withers, with rather long ears, the lower part of the tail somewhat thinly clothed with long hairs, and a short mane ; the ground colour being white, with broad, black, transverse stripes, ...
The British Encyclopedia, Or Dictionary of Arts and Sciences Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge (1809)
by William Nicholson
From the carding engine the long stripes of carded cotton are brought to engines consisting merely of two pair of small rollers, one pair of which moves foster than the other, and each pair of which are caused to press against each other ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stripes
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Stripes
Click on an item to view that photo:
A menagerie of stripes.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Photo credit: eilonwy77
Paul V. Galvin Playhouse, Arizona State University.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Stripes of Life From Halfway Back in Time
Algae life that is. Bedded 2 billion year old sedimentary rocks, say 5 metres wide at base of photo. Rollercoastering up into the sky just outside Sanikiluaq, Nunavut. View is looking due north. Younging direction or upwards for these vertically-dipping carbonate strata is to the left. There are mega-miles of textured rocks polished by glaciation in the Belcher Islands for the macro inclined.
Smoothing of all outcrop around here is due to continental glaciation.
Photo credit: subarcticmike
- Stripes [Explored]
Photo credit: pennuja
- Black Stripes
Photo credit: geirt.com
- Stripes on Stripes
Blue and white stripes reflected on the wet wooden floor boards / boardwalk of Brighton Pier (formerly Palace Pier).
Photo credit: Dominic's pics
- Stripes [Explored]
Photo credit: pennuja
- Stripes !
Photo credit: CJS*64 A man with a camera
- Bright stripes.
Photo credit: A National Acrobat
View more pictures about The White Stripes.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Stripes
Click on an item to play that video:
- ESL for Primary - Spots Stripes and Patterns on Clothes - ESL Catwalk
A compilation of different clothes on the catwalk, ESL activity to revise clothes with spots, stripes and patterns.
- Dots & Stripes Decorative Masks: Dictionary Dots Background
- Change Your Stripes - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Stripes!
Quotes about Stripes
Basically, there are three ways the skunk and I are a lot alike. The first is, we both like to spread our 'stink' around. The second is we both get hit by cars a lot. The third is stripes. (Jack Handey)
more quotes about stripes...
Scrabble value of S1T1R1I1P3E1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STRIPES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Stripes!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Stripes to see it in context!