The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun striving:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun striving
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Striving
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Striving
- Photos about Striving
- Video language resources about Striving
- Sign language
- Quotes about Striving
- Scrabble value of S1T1R1I1V4I1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun striving
What does striving mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: strivings
- an effortful attempt to attain a goal
- examples: The authorities are striving in vain to stabilize the currency. | The horse does not just represent energy, high spirits, prosperity, development, but also stands for a national spirit of struggling on without stopping, and of striving on without giving up. | Democracy is a quest, a never-ending seeking for better things, and in the seeking for these things and the striving for better things, and in the seeking for these things and the striving for them, there are many roads to follow. | The union is striving for shorter working hours. | Arnold was striving to be the most muscular man in the world.
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of striving: nisus / pains / strain
- more generic words: attempt / effort / endeavor / endeavour / try = earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
- more specific words: jehad / jihad = a holy struggle or striving by a Muslim for a moral or spiritual or political goal
Alternative definition of the noun striving
- See Effort.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Striving
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Striving is the universal law and condition.
by Frederic D. Homer
Striving is a subjective state gathered through introspection, but in Schopenhauer's world, it is invariant in intensity in man. Schopenhauer's only way out obviously is not through some form of optimism, but in the flight ...
Sparks from the Infinite (2007)
A Collection of Mediumistic Transcripts by Il Cenacolo
The striving is an impulse that arises from desire, the desire is transcribed by the Law: there is still lacking in you the spiritual will applied to what you are capable of using humanly. In fact you receive with great facility the radiations coming from ...
Dictionary of Dreams (2001)
by Farokh Jamshed Master, Jamshed Farokh
Striving (exertion, vexatious)* Swimming Tiresome Thrown away, being to Unimportant” Unpleasant (disgusting) Unremembered” Vexatious (anger, quarrels, unpleasant, striving)” Vivid3 Vivid; cerebrospinal ...
by Henry Kellerman
Other vicissitudes of “will” for Adler included will to be above—the woman's need to be like the man, understood in psychoanalytic theory to be a function of a compensatory need; will to be up—striving for a more obvious presentation of ...
by Neil J. Salkind
Mastery-approach goals represent striving to approach absolute or intrapersonal competence, for example, striving to do better than ...
English-Cheyenne Dictionary (1915)
by Rodolphe Charles Petter
-tan also expresses "striving" in the sense of "wanting, desiring, being in the need of " ; infixes -6t- se- and -onisi- are also combined; nao tseonishoxtami- ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Striving
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Striving
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Striving II
Another view of a Hollyhock stalk
Photo credit: ZeePack
- Striving plant
Photo credit: Rob de Vries,
- Striving Cacti
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Striving for Survival
(Image: Lauren Walker / Truthout)
Image paired with the article: The Historical Roots of Contemporary Violence Against Pregnant Black Women...
Photo credit: Truthout.org
- When striving finally rests
Photo credit: jaredjhansen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Striving
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Striving!
Save Your Best Striving for Seeking Jesus / American Sign Language
Quotes about Striving
The relationship to one's fellow man is the relationship of prayer, the relationship to oneself is the relationship of striving; it is from prayer that one draws the strength for one's striving. (Franz Kafka)
more quotes about striving...
Scrabble value of S1T1R1I1V4I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine