The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective stuffy:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective stuffy
- Definition of the noun stuffy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stuffy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stuffy
- Photos about Stuffy
- Video about Stuffy
- Quotes about Stuffy
- Scrabble value of S1T1U1F4F4Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective stuffy
What does stuffy mean as an attribute of a noun?
Stuffy is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more stuffy / stuffier | most stuffy / stuffiest
- lacking fresh air
- excessively conventional and unimaginative and hence dull
- affected with a sensation of stoppage or obstruction
- example: a stuffy feeling in my chest
- similar: obstructed
Alternative definition of the adjective stuffy
- Poorly ventilated; partially plugged.
- Stout; mettlesome; resolute.
- Angry and obstinate; sulky.
Definition of the noun stuffy
What does stuffy mean as a name of something?
- [US, Canada, colloquial, often, childish] A stuffed animal or other plush toy.
- Stuffy is a fictional character from the anime series Little Women II: Jo's Boys.
- Stuffy a.k.a. George Cole is a fictional character from the book Little Men by Louisa May Alcott.
- read more about George Cole
"Stuffy" is a composition.
- music by Coleman Hawkins
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stuffy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
(a stuffy book) (abiding by the rather involved , stuffy code of ethics-Riggs) (set himself incautiously to the business of assailing the straitlaced authorities of Boston-Parrington) Ana precise, *correct, nice: ...
4c: from French frowst /fraust/ t> noun hot stuffy fustiness. • firowsty adj ( frowstier, frowstiesti stuffy; stale-smelling. • frowst noun. • frowstiness noun.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stuffy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Stuffy
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Stuffy
Video shows what stuffy means. Poorly ventilated; partially plugged.. Stout; mettlesome; resolute.. Angry and obstinate; sulky.. stuffy pronunciation. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Stuffy!
Quotes about Stuffy
What to do? We yanked the dress up over her lovely attributes and with the addition of a scarf, the problem was solved. Sorry, guys, blame that stuffy censor. He hated surprises. (Audrey Meadows)
more quotes about stuffy...
Scrabble value of S1T1U1F4F4Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Stuffy to see it in context!