The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun subject matter:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun subject matter
- Phrases with Subject Matter
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Subject Matter
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Subject Matter
- Photos about Subject Matter
- Video language resources about Subject Matter
- Quotes about Subject Matter
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun subject matter
What does subject matter mean as a name of something?
- what a communication that is about something is about
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of subject matter: content / message / substance
- more generic word: communication = something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- more specific terms:
- body = the central message of a communication
- corker = a remarkable or excellent thing or person
- reminder = a message that helps you remember something
- postulation / petition / request = a formal message requesting something that is submitted to an authority
- memorial = a written statement of facts submitted in conjunction with a petition to an authority
- latent content = hidden meaning of a fantasy or dream
- subject / theme / topic = the subject matter of a conversation or discussion
- parenthesis / digression / divagation / excursus / aside = a message that departs from the main subject
- signification / significance / meaning / import = the message that is intended or expressed or signified
- meaninglessness / nonsensicality / nonsense / hokum / bunk = a message that seems to convey no meaning
- garbage / drivel = a worthless message
- acknowledgement / acknowledgment = a statement acknowledging something or someone
- refusal = a message refusing to accept something that is offered
- information / info = a message received and understood
- counselling / counseling / direction / guidance / counsel = something that provides direction or advice as to a decision or course of action
- commitment / dedication = a message that makes a pledge
- commendation / approval = a message expressing a favorable opinion
- disapproval = the expression of disapproval
- respects = a formal expression of esteem
- discourtesy / disrespect = an expression of lack of respect
- interpolation / insertion = a message (spoken or written) that is introduced or inserted
- statement = a message that is stated or declared
- statement = a nonverbal message
- witticism / wittiness / humour / humor / wit = a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
- opinion / view = a message expressing a belief about something
- instruction / direction = a message describing how something is to be done
- proposal = something proposed
- offering / offer = something offered
- submission / entry = something (manuscripts or architectural plans and models or estimates or works of art of all genres etc.) submitted for the judgment of others
- narration / narrative / story / tale = a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events
- promotional material / packaging / promotion / publicity / promo = a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution
- sensationalism = subject matter that is calculated to excite and please vulgar tastes
- shocker = a sensational message
Subject Matter is a musical group.
"Subject Matter" a.k.a. "Subject: Matter" is a musical EP of Homeboy Sandman.
- released on
Phrases with Subject Matter
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Subject Matter
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David A. Dieterle Ph.D.
the disclosure was made by the inventor or joint inventor or by another who obtained the subject matter disclosed directly or indirectly from the inventor or a joint inventor; or (B) the subject matter disclosed had, before such disclosure, been ...
by Rachel Gader-Shafran
Composition of Matter: See Biotech- nological Process, Conditions for Patentability; Non-Obvious Subject Matter. Conditions for Patentability; Non- Obvious Subject Matter: (a) A patent may not be obtained though the invention is not identically ...
THE PATENT LAW DICTIONARY (2013)
United States Domestic Patent Law Terms & International Patent Law Terms by Rachel Gader-Shafran MA, JD
It shall be a defense to an action for infringement under section 271 of this title with respect to any subject matter that would otherwise infringe one or more claims for a method in the patent being asserted against a person, if such person had, ...
by NA NA
Subject matter in the school curriculum is still widely treated within or ...
by Gary McCulloch, David Crook
These various dis- ciplinary and social perspectives form the foundation of citizenship education subject matter. Each offers a unique insight into what students should both know and consider when acting as citizens. The most common subject ...
by Julius M. Cruse, Robert E. Lewis
The subject matter ranges from molecular structures of recently characterized receptors and cytokines to major histocompatibility complex molecules, immunoglobulins, comparative immunology, and immunopathology, to name a few of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Subject Matter
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Subject Matter
Click on an item to view that photo:
Oct 2nd - Subject Matter
Nothing like locking your bandmates in a graveyard.
Photo credit: dannyboymed
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Subject Matter
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition and Subject Matter of Economics
Definition and Subject Matter of Economics.
- Subject matter Meaning
Video shows what subject matter means. The matter or thought presented for consideration in some statement or discussion; that which is made the object of ...
- The Skill of Describing: Subject Matter Description
An introductory presentation on how to describe a work of art.
- The Subject Matter of Language Teaching
Trabajo Practico realizado por Vanesa Oliver y Marina Carrizo, para la catedra de Practica Docente II del Profesorado de Ingles, a cargo de la Prof. y Trad.
View more videos about Subject Matter Jurisdiction.
See also the pronunciation examples of Subject Matter!
Quotes about Subject Matter
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Subject Matter to see it in context!