The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun success:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun success and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun success
- Phrases with Success
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Success
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Success
- Photos about Success
- Video language resources about Success
- Sign language
- Quotes about Success
- Scrabble value of S1U1C3C3E1S1S1
- Share this page
Success is sometimes a misspelling of succeed.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun success
What does success mean as a name of something?
Success is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: successes
- an event that accomplishes its intended purpose
- examples: let's call heads a success and tails a failure | the election was a remarkable success for the Whigs
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- antonym: failure
- more generic terms: happening / natural event / occurrence / occurrent = an event that happens
- more specific words:
- an attainment that is successful
- examples: his success in the marathon was unexpected | his new play was a great success
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic word: attainment = the act of achieving an aim
- more specific terms:
- winning = succeeding with great difficulty
- smasher / strike / smash / bang / hit = a conspicuous success
- bell ringer / bull's eye / home run / mark = something that exactly succeeds in achieving its goal
- conquest = success in mastering something difficult
- coup = a brilliant and notable success
- flying colours / flying colors = complete success
- qualifying / passing / pass = success in satisfying a test or requirement
- overturn / upset = an improbable and unexpected victory
- seduction / conquest = an act of winning the love or sexual favor of someone
- score = the act of scoring in a game or sport
- solution = the successful action of solving a problem
- a state of prosperity or fame
- examples: he is enjoying great success | he does not consider wealth synonymous with success
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- antonym: failure
- more generic words: prosperity / successfulness = the condition of prospering
- more specific terms:
- a person with a record of successes
- example: if you want to be a success you have to dress like a success
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of success: achiever / succeeder / winner
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun success
- The achievement of one's aim or goal.
- antonym: failure
- [business] financial profitability.
- One who, or that which, achieves assumed goals.
Specialised definition of the noun success
Glossary of sports
the fact of doing something well, or doing what you set out to achieve (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
something that goes well (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
the result of an action that corresponds to self-determined expectations (the level of demands). The success of sport activity can be determined by certain measurements and/or assessment procedures. Action in sport is success-oriented, either relative to oneself or completely aimed towards victory, records, championships, etc. In connection with the theory of performance motivation, one differentiates between people who are guided predominantly through hope for success, and people who are more influenced by the fear of failure. Therefore, success in sport is dependent upon the type and degree of performance motivation and on the respective level of demand. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- "Success" is a 1991 German drama film directed by Franz Seitz, Jr. It was entered into the 41st Berlin International Film Festival.
- also known as Erfolg
- country: Germany
- language: German Language
- directors: Franz Seitz, Jr.
- producers: Ferdinand Althoff & Franz Seitz, Jr.
- production design by Rolf Zehetbauer & Gert B. Venzky
- written by Franz Seitz, Jr.
- based on a story by Lion Feuchtwanger
- Bruno Ganz as Jacques Tüverlin
- Franziska Walser as Johanna Krain
- Peter Simonischek as Dr. Martin Krüger
- Mathieu Carrière as Erich Bornhaak
- Gudrun Gabriel as Anna Elisabeth Haider
- Manfred Zapatka as Kaspar Pröckl
- Thomas Holtzmann as Dr. Franz Flaucher
- Jutta Speidel as Katharina von Radolny
- Gerd Anthoff as Paul Hessreither
- Günter Mack as Förtsch
- Dietrich Mattausch as Dr. Hartl - Amtsgerichtspräsident
- Toni Berger as Baron Reindl
- Wilfried Klaus as Staatsanwalt
- cinematography by Rudolf Blahacek
- edited by Gisela Haller
- music by Friedrich Meyer
- costume design by Monika Ludwig
- genre: Drama
- released on (24 years ago)
- "Success" is a 2003 Indian Tamil drama film written and directed by Suresh Prasanna. The film featured newcomer Dushyanth in the lead role, a grandson of actor Sivaji Ganesan, while Sonia Agarwal and Nandhana played supporting roles. The film released in September 2003 to average reviews from critics.
- "Success" is a 2008 short film written and directed by Diederik Ebbinge.
- also known as Exito
- country: Netherlands
- language: Dutch Language
- producers: Jeroen Beker & Frans van Gestel
- art direction by Arne Leddy
- written by Diederik Ebbinge
- cinematography by Lex Brand
- edited by Sandor Soeteman
- music by Rutger de Bekker
- costume design by Ellen Julianus
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Success" is a 1923 drama film written by Adeline Leitzbach, Theodore A. Liebler Jr. and George V. Hobart and directed by Ralph Ince.
- also known as Les comédiens, Bak kulissene
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Murray Garsson
- written by George V. Hobart, Theodore A. Liebler Jr., Adeline Leitzbach
- based on a story by Adeline Leitzbach & Theodore A. Liebler Jr.
- Brandon Tynan as Barry Carleton
- Naomi Childers as Jane Randolph
- Mary Astor as Rose Randolph
- Dore Davidson as Sam Lewis
- Lionel Adams as Willis Potter
- Stanley Ridges as Gilbert Gordon
- Robert Lee Keeling as Henry Briggs
- Billy Quirk as Nick Walker
- Helen Mack as Ruth
- Steve Pendleton as Joe
- John Woodford as Treadwell
- cinematography by William J. Black
- genres: Melodrama, Drama
- released on (92 years ago)
- "SUCCESS" is a short film, directed by Charles Son.
- country: Comedy
- language: English Language
- released in
- "Success" is a film.
- also known as Eog-ulhamyeon Chulsehara, 억울하면 출세하라
- country: South Korea
- genre: Comedy
- "Success": Kenshi and the group realise that they need to find another source of power to match Kenshi's strength. They go to Yukine's village, where they turn a placement of sacred rock into a sword condensing with Kenshi's power. After the sword is made, Kenshi takes out the whole enemy faction in one swing. Kenshi is reunited with the Lithia, Lapis and other members of Holy Land Academy right after he collapses from the fatigue and gets a fever. While Kenshi is asleep, the girls all talk about how Kenshi has helped them even though he is not actually involved in their worlds' battle. King Shurifon and Flora make their entrance, telling them that both Aura and Maria are to be engaged to Kenshi. While Kenshi is asleep, Mexiah visits him on his bedside and tells him the truth about what he is and that both of them should be together. However, it is revealed to be a trick as Babalun tries to take control over Kenshi but Kenshi overcomes his magic. Mexiah then attempts to take out the Swan by destroying the weight inhibitor, but Kenshi saves it just in time. Meanwhile, Babalun vows to defeat Kenshi while Kenshi gains reinforcements to stop Gaia's revival.
- director: Masaki Kajishima
- genres: Anime, Animation
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Success" a.k.a. "The American Success Company" is a film directed by William Richert released on Mar 1980.
- read more about The American Success Company
Phrases with Success
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Success
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Akenhead
Intangible Elements Missing in most discussions about success is an 60 Unless You're a Hermit Success Means Working with People.
The well-tested traits of successful people listed above can be helpful to you in the process. Specifics lor successful lima ike all abstract terms, it is 106 Sura's • Success is a Marathon, not a Sprint.
The Magic of Thinking Big (2014)
by David J. Schwartz
Success means many wonderful, positive things. Success means personal prosperity:a fine home, vacations, travel, new things, financial security, giving your children maximum advantages. Success means winning admiration, leadership, ...
Satisfying Success (2009)
And the Ways to Achieve It by Carl Tuchy Palmieri
Success is an event that accomplishes its intended purpose.
The Delineator (1899)
SUCCESS is a Handsomely Illustrated Weekly Magazine, Unlike any Other Periodical in Character, Contents, and...
Engineer Your Own Success (2014)
7 Key Elements to Creating an Extraordinary Engineering Career by Anthony Fasano
However, they all define “success” differently. It's important that you define what success means to you as early on in your career as possible. Your definition of success will directly affect your professional performance and your life as a whole .
Truth and life (1921)
by Albert Cotton Grier, Agnes Rosina (McCarthy) Lawson
True success is the ability to see correctly the inner or spiritual world, and the ability to produce something which adds to the general happiness, welfare and understanding. Success is productive accomplishment, it matters not in what line, ...
Home and Flowers (1900)
An Illustrated Monthly Magazine Devoted to the Home Beautiful
Year Success is the hvst family magazine published ; see description below, $1.00 Cosmopolitan, • Year.
"SUCCESS" is the Best Family Magazine Published « SUCCESS is a large and handsome family journal, issued monthly at One ...
Power, Privilege, and Inequality by Kathleen J. Fitzgerald
Many Asian American students feel great pressure to excel academically, to live up the stereotype of them as the model minority, which assumes Asian American academic success is the result of hard work and Asian cultural norms that ...
I Am a Professional Artist (2002)
The Key to Survival and Success in the World of the Arts by Gilli Moon
James Armstrong: Success is an individual appraisal. Not only from your own...
Beigel: Success means comfort in the relationship with the goals you've set. If your goal is making a...
Franck Bensoussan: Success is a dangerous word as its pressures can crawl inside you and keep you insatiable. There are different ...
by Barbara Black Miller, Martin Camp
SUCCESS MEANS MEETING EXPECTATIONS It's our belief that when you want to support others effectively you should give ...
by Martin Weik
must equal 1 minus the disengagement success ratio (DSR). See also disengagement attempt, disengagement denial probability, disengagement success ratio, performance measurement ...
by Henry George Bohn
STYLE — SUCCESS. STYLE — continued. Be sure avoid set phrases when you write, The usual way of speech is more polite. Ovid. SUBJECTS. Subjects are stifiP-neck'd animals : they soon Feet slackened reins, and throw the rider ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Success
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Success
Click on an item to view that photo:
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
by Winston Churchill
by Nikon [email protected] On Shan,Hong Kong
Photo credit: grinapple
Photo credit: tyty7777777
Photo credit: Synergist - Ram
Photo credit: thewebprincess
Photo credit: catherinedncr
Photo credit: mhobl
Photo credit: Pat Guiney
Photo credit: Eric Kilby
Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.
Photo credit: baejaar
Photo credit: szentka0sz
A snowy egret that is dip-fishing catches a small fish in the tip of its beak.
Photo credit: Andy Morffew
- The Success Indicator
Photo credit: Stefan Leijon
- Clock - Success
Time for Success
When using this image please provide photo credit (link) to...
Photo credit: flazingo_photos
Photo credit: jasleen_kaur
JW at Joshua Tree National Park
Photo credit: tinyfroglet
Photo credit: foilman
Photo credit: carvalho
Photo credit: TheNickster
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Alaska Brown Bear, Hallo Bay, Katmai National Park, Alaska.
Photo credit: Marshmallow
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Success
Click on an item to play that video:
- This Billionaire's Definition of Success Will Surprise You
A conversation with John Paul DeJoria about the lessons he's learned on his entrepreneurial journey.
- The Real Meaning of Success with Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra explains how to succeed.
- DeVon Franklin Reveals the True Meaning of Success | Super Soul Sunday | Oprah Winfrey Network
Success isn't about money, fame or power. In fact, DeVon Franklin says, it resides in your very core. Watch as he explains his definition of success and the ...
- India.Arie's New Definition of Success | Super Soul Sunday | Oprah Winfrey Network
OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. After much soul-searching, India.
- Bob Proctor Clarifies - For Any Entrepreneur - Earl Nightingale's Definition Of 'Success'
- John Paul DeJoria's Surprising Definition Of Success.
- Success Definition - Dr. Steve G. Jones
For a free hypnosis recording, please visit...
- MOTIVATIONAL MUSIC | SUCCESS VIBES | Meaning Of Life
Download "SUCCESS VIBES: Vol. 1" for FREE at...
- Mark Cuban's Definition of Success
Steiner Sports recently hosted a Power Breakfast with Mark Cuban and Derek Jeter at the Hudson Theatre at the Millenium Hotel in NYC. For upcoming events ...
- Your Definition of Success
- Success Definition Of Climbing Your Mountain - Motivational WebTV #6
- Definition of Success
WITH SPECIAL THANKS TO Frida Gustavsson, Jeremy Young, Monica Jac, Karmen Pedaru, Daphne Groeneveld, Magdalena Frackowiak, Mathias Lauridsen.
- Panel: The True Meaning of Independence and Success - Midem 2015
This session will debate the challenges facing independent music companies and examine the future for the sector. Leading independent music figures will ...
- Positive Accountability - Your Definition of Success
Episode 1: Your Definition of Success...
- Vocabulary is Key to Reading Success
Principal Lavanta Williams explains the impact that Wordly Wise 3000 had on the vocabulary and comprehension skills of his students at Ridgegate Elementary ...
- True definition of Success
This video educates us the true meaning of Success.
- The Modern Education System's Definition of Success
Oh the irony.
- Monday Inspiration - Your Definition of Success
To achieve success in any area of your life, you need to know what success looks and feels like--once you achieve it. That means you need to define success or ...
- Amr Aly - The True Meaning of Success
Support your community in continuing to offer amazing programs and services!
- Man Up! Episode #7: Your Definition of Success
Man Up! Join The Tribe...
- TED Talk: How Body Language and Micro Expressions Predict Success - Patryk & Kasia Wezowski
TED Talk: How Body Language and Micro Expressions Predict Success - Patryk & Kasia Wezowski - Founders of...
- Body Language Signals To Success
- LANGUAGE AND SUCCESS
- FREE NLP TRAINING - Speed Success Secrets - Using Hypnotic Language For Persuasion and Influence
- Success in Foreign Language Learning
Alexander Arguelles presents a series of "Lectures on Language Learning."...
- Learn to speak the language of success: new business advice from Roger Hamilton
Business Financial Advice: There is a world of difference between speaking in requests and speaking in opportunities, says Roger Hamilton, and one of the keys ...
- CLAS - Culture and Language Academy of Success
A 10 minute introductory video to the Culture and Language Academy of Success charter school in Inglewood, CA.
- The language of success - In a nutshell
The language of success, In a nutshell - expert advice from Pam Knight at White Knight Marketing...
- Body Language Fundamentals - Success Coach Nilesh
For Attachment and FREE Personality Development course please come NOW to...
- How To Speak The Language Of Success
Do you remember the game of "Telephone" you played as a child? A simple phrase like "The dog is in the yard" gets tortured into a completely unrecognizable ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Success!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign Language Success
- AutisMate Success Story: Greta Learns Sign Language With AutisMate
Greta is a non-verbal child with autism that attends school at the Brooklyn Autism Center. She has been using AutisMate to build communication, including ...
- Luci's Sign Language Success
- Key strategy for success in teaching Baby Sign Language.
Quotes about Success
The Success does not chase the successful
The successful chases the success
The dream does not chase the dreamer
The dreamer chases the dream
I will chase my success
I will chase my dream
My dream is; success (Ryan Merkel)
more quotes about success...
Scrabble value of S1U1C3C3E1S1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Success to see it in context!