Suck appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Eda, Emil's red roses suck!" Cal Black cusses, orders tram.
The word suck is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun suck
What does suck mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sucks
- the act of sucking
Alternative definition of the noun suck
- [Canada] A weak, self-pitying person; a person who won't go along, especially out of spite; a crybaby or sore loser.
- synonym: sook
- [chiefly Canada] A sycophant, especially a child.
- synonym: sooky baby
Definition of the verb suck
What does suck mean as a doing word?
Suck is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: sucked | sucking | sucks
- draw into the mouth by creating a practical vacuum in the mouth
- examples: suck the poison from the place where the snake bit | suck on a straw | the baby sucked on the mother's breast
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] Cynthia ate | Cynthia drank | Cynthia nibbled | Cynthia sipped Verbs of Ingesting: lap, sip, slurp [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Cynthia ate the peach | Cynthia devoured the pizza | Cynthia drank the wine | Cynthia gobbled the pizza | Cynthia nibbled the carrot | Cynthia quaffed her mead | Cynthia sipped the drink | Cynthia swilled the beverage [Agent - being] [Verb] from [Patient] Cynthia sipped from the drink [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Source] Brian wiped at the counter Verbs of Removing: bail, dab, dust, erase, lick, pluck, prune, rinse, rub, scour, scrape, scratch, scrub, squeeze, strip, suction, swab, sweep, wash, wear, wipe [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Barry Cryer erased the writing [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- more generic words: drink / imbibe = take in liquids
- draw something in by or as if by a vacuum
- attract by using an inexorable force, inducement, etc.
- be inadequate or objectionable
- provide sexual gratification through oral stimulation
- take in, also metaphorically
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of suck: absorb / draw / imbibe / soak up / sop up / suck up / take in / take up
- more specific terms:
- give suck to
Alternative definition of the verb suck
- [transitive] To use the mouth and lips to pull in (a liquid, especially milk from the breast). [definition from 9th c.]
- [intransitive] To perform such an action; to feed from a breast or teat. [definition from 11th c.]
- [transitive] To put the mouth or lips to (a breast, a mother etc.) to draw in milk. [definition from 11th c.]
- synonyms: (3
- [transitive] To extract, draw in (a substance) from or out of something. [definition from 14th c.]
- [transitive] To work the lips and tongue on (an object) to extract moisture or nourishment; to absorb (something) in the mouth. [definition from 14th c.]
- [transitive] To pull (something) in a given direction, especially without direct contact. [definition from 17th c.]
- To perform fellatio. [definition from 20th c.]
- [intransitive, slang] To be inferior or objectionable: a general term of disparagement, sometimes used with at to indicate a particular area of deficiency. [definition from 20th c.]
"Suck" es una película del 2009 escrita y dirigida por Rob Stefaniuk.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producers: Robin Crumley & Jeff Rogers
- written by Rob Stefaniuk
- Malcolm McDowell as Eddie Van Helsing
- Iggy Pop as Victor
- Jessica Paré as Jennifer
- Paul Anthony as Tyler
- Rob Stefaniuk as Joey
- Mike Lobel as Sam
- Dave Foley as Jeff
- Henry Rollins as Rockin' Roger
- Carole Pope as Club Bouncer
- Alex Lifeson as Border Guard
- Moby as Beef
- Dimitri Coats as Queeny
- Alice Cooper as Bartender
- Chris Ratz as Hugo
- Barbara Mamabolo as Danielle
- Nicole de Boer as Susan
- Calico Cooper as Barmaid
- Danny Smith as Jerry
- Adam Kenneth Wilson as Vamp
- Anand Rajaram as Pill Popper
- Joe Pingue as Bouncer #3
- Chris Barry as Toronto Club Sound Man
- Rico Scuotto as Bouncer #1
- Janson Aslin as Bouncer #2
- Thalia Stefaniuk as Diner Patron #1
- Caleigh Barker as Diner Patron #2
- cinematography by D. Gregor Hegey
- edited by Michele Conroy
- music by John Kastner
- genres: Horror, Cult film, Musical, Horror comedy, Musical comedy, Comedy
- rating: 14A (Canada), R (USA)
- released on (5 years ago)
- official website: suckthemovie.com
- "Suck" is a composition.
- "Suck" is a musical EP of Skold.
- released on
Suck were a rock band who were part of South Africa's first wave of hard rock titled, the "Big Heavies." The group lasted eight months between 1970 to 1971 in which they recorded their lone LP, Time to Suck. It was later released in America in 2009. They were also one of the earliest groups to cover Black Sabbath. In March 2007 they were featured in an article in Classic Rock magazine titled, "The Lost Pioneers of Heavy Metal" where they were referred to as "acidpunk metal".
- genres: Heavy metal, Acid rock, Hard rock, Rock music
- album: "Time To Suck"
Phrases with suck
Phrases starting with the word suck:
- suck in
- Suck It
- suck up
- Suck Ass
- Suck Off
- suck out
- Suck Cock
- Suck Face
- suck into
- Suck Tits
- Suck Balls
- Suck It Up
- Suck Rocks
- Suck a Lemon
- Suck My Cock
Phrase ending with the word suck:
Other phrases containing the word suck:
View more phrases with the word suck in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for suck
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Slam Dunks and No-Brainers (2006)
Pop Language in Your Life, the Media, and Like ... Whatever by Leslie Savan
t— suck means lots of things, including fellatio, and is integral...
Congressional edition (1895)
by United States. Congress
The Suck is the name commonly applied to the several rapids and shoals where the river windsin a tortuous route through the mountains below Chattanooga, covering a distance of 8.5 miles, in which the fall is 1G.5 feet. The obstructions ...
Always More Than One (2013)
Individuation’s Dance by Erin Manning
A first suck is a revelation. A fifth suck is a comfort. Suck six is its own satisfying variation on comfort. Depending on exactly how each event transpires and what else is present that may inflect it (a glance at a caregiver's face, the soft brush of a ...
Rivers of Ireland (2003)
A Flyfishers Guide by Peter O'Reilly
Gabriel Finn Main Street Roscommon SUCK, RIVER M6080 The River Suck is an extensive tributary system of the Shannon and drains large ...
by United States. Army. Office of the Chief of Engineers
The Slid: — The Suck is the name commonly applied to the several rapids and shoals where the river winds in a tortuous route through the mountains below Chattanooga, covering a distance of 8.5 miles, in which the fall is lG.o feet.
The Suck is the name commonly applied to the several rapids and shoals where the river winds in a tortuous route through the mountains below Chattanooga, covering a distance of 8.5 miles, in which the fall is 10. 5 feet. The obstructions ...
"to suck". G. Takacs (1998, 143, #6) did ...
A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Gypsies' Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology (1897)
by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
Sub — Suck. Sun — Super. Supple — Swag. 306 staripen in gypsy. Stavdo in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for suck
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about suck
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb suck:
Photos about suck
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Suck Nuts
Found by Drew Biehle.
Photo credit: seamusiv
- Titles Suck
Photo credit: kadluba
- ROCK SUCK GAY
"The Rock is on eleven, and the Suck and Gay are turned all the way down."
This is a screen shot from the "Making of Systematic Chaos" documentary that comes with the special edition of the Dream Theater release by the same name.
Photo credit: rick
- Suck blood or Smokes for sale.
Hey, is that security cop, Craig Sheffer? Many of the stars of Horror movies sell their autographed pictures at monster conventions.
Photo credit: kennethkonica
- Jesus saves, cops suck
Photo credit: Daquella manera
- Math and/or you suck
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Toad Suck Park
Toad Suck Park, Arkansas
Photo credit: Marcy Reiford
View more pictures about People Suck.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about suck
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slang in English - SUCK
- English Slang / Idioms: Suck Sucks This Sucks!
Follow Shaw English...
- Suck meaning and pronunciation
Not good. Bad. The early Jazz musicians would say that a guy could really "Blow" if he had a good sound when playing the horn. If he couldn't play very well ...
- Laptop djs suck - Spoilezzz Slang
This one is for tha team (...
- Suck At Something - Vocabulary Builder - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Suck At Something - Vocabulary Builder - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of suck!
Quotes about suck
Scrabble value of S1U1C3K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SUCK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of suck!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of suck to see it in context!