On this page:
- Definition of the noun sulphur
- Definition of the verb sulphur
- Phrases with Sulphur
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sulphur
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sulphur
- Photos about Sulphur
- Videos about Sulphur
- Scrabble value of S1U1L1P3H4U1R1
- Anagrams of SULPHUR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sulphur
What does sulphur mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sulphurs
- an abundant tasteless odorless multivalent nonmetallic element; best known in yellow crystals; occurs in many sulphide and sulphate minerals and even in native form (especially in volcanic regions)
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- alternative spelling: sulfur
- synonyms of sulphur: atomic number 16 / S
- more generic terms: chemical element / element = any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
- more specific terms: native sulphur / native sulfur / brimstone = an old name for sulfur
- substance of: sulfide / sulphide = a compound of sulphur and some other element that is more electropositive; oil of vitriol / sulfuric acid / sulphuric acid / vitriol = a highly corrosive acid made from sulfur dioxide
Definition of the verb sulphur
What does sulphur mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sulphured | sulphuring | sulphurs
- treat with sulphur in order to preserve
- example: These dried fruits are sulphured
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Lora buttered the toast [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Lora buttered the toast with unsalted butter
Verbs of Putting (with the same syntax): aromatize, asphalt, bait, black, blanket, blindfold, board, bread, brick, bridle, bronze, butter, buttonhole, calk, cap, carpet, caulk, chrome, clay, cloak, cork, crown, diaper, dope, drug, feather, fence, flour, forest, frame, fuel, gag, garland, glaze, glove, graffiti, gravel, grease, groove, halter, harness, heel, ink, label, leash, leaven, lipstick, lubricate, mantle, mulch, muzzle, nickel, oil, ornament, paint, panel, paper, parquet, patch, pepper, perfume, plank, plaster, poison, polish, pomade, poster, postmark, powder, putty, robe, roof, rosin, rouge, rut, saddle, salt, salve, sand, seed, sequin, shawl, shingle, shoe, shutter, silver, slate, slipcover, sod, sole, spice, stain, starch, stopper, stress, string, stucco, sugar, tag, tar, tarmac, tassel, thatch, ticket, tile, top, turf, varnish, veil, veneer, wallpaper, water, wax, whitewash, wreathe, yoke.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- alternative spelling: sulfur
- more generic words: process / treat = subject to a process or treatment, with the aim of readying for some purpose, improving, or remedying a condition
- Sulphur is a city in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 20,410 at the 2010 census. Sulphur is part of the Lake Charles Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Sulphur is a city and county seat of Murray County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 4,929 at the 2010 census.
- Sulphur is an unincorporated community in Union Township, Crawford County, Indiana.
- Sulphur a.k.a. Sulphur, Kentucky: Sulphur is an unincorporated community within Henry County, Kentucky, United States.
- read more about Sulphur, Kentucky
- Sulphur a.k.a. Sulphur, Nevada, is a ghost town in Humboldt County, Nevada that was a Feather River Route station in the Black Rock Desert along the Kamma Mountains.
- read more about Sulphur, Nevada
- Sulphur a.k.a. Sulphur, Bowie County, Texas: Sulphur is an unincorporated community in Bowie County, Texas, United States. Sulphur is 7.8 miles south of Texarkana.
- read more about Sulphur, Bowie County, Texas
There are other places with in their name, like Sulphur Rock, Sulphur Bluff, Sulphur Spring, Sulphur Springs, Hot Sulphur Springs, Red Sulphur Springs, Green Sulphur Springs, White Sulphur Springs, Yellow Sulphur Springs.
- Sulphur a.k.a. Sulpher is a musical group, record producers.
- read more about Sulpher
- Sulphur is a musical group.
- album: "Der Fluch des Lebens"
Sulphur is a record label.
- "Sulphur" is a musical album of Toxic Virgin.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Sulphur" is a musical album of Scanner.
- released on (20 years ago)
Phrases with Sulphur
Phrases starting with the word Sulphur:
- sulphur mine
- sulphur rose
- Sulphur Molly
- sulphur oxide
- Sulphur Pearl
- Sulphur Sedge
- Sulphur Clover
- Sulphur Cosmos
- Sulphur Damsel
Phrases ending with the word Sulphur:
- Giant Sulphur
- Hecla Sulphur
- Orbed Sulphur
- Arctic Sulphur
- Dainty Sulphur
- Lyside Sulphur
- Mead's Sulphur
- Nastes Sulphur
- native sulphur
- orange sulphur
- Sierra Sulphur
View more phrases with the word Sulphur in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sulphur
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Lexicon of Alchemy (2014)
by Martin Rulandus
Manufactured Sulphur is that prepared and perfected by art, that which has been treated by fire, burning Sulphur, the...
Sulphur is a formative principle, partly gaseous, partly fiery, partaking of an ethereal nature; it is that whence strength ...
360 crystals and sabian symbols for personal health, astrology and numerology by Marina Costelloe
Alchemically, sulphur is a heavenly element representing passion and free will. Message: Awareness and tranquillity of the mind–body–spirit triad. Sun Focus: You have naturally elevated spiritual insight and transcendental powers; others are ...
A Compendium of Human Knowledge
Sulphur is a bad conductor of heat, and the mere heat of a warm hand often causes it to crackle, and even to fall to pieces, from the unequal expansion. It is an insulator of electricity, and becomes negatively electric by friction. It is slightly ...
A Complete Library of Knowledge. A Reprint of the Last Edinburgh and London Ed. of Chambers's Encyclopædia
Sulphur is a bad conductor of heat, and the mere heat of a warm hand often causes it to crackle, and even to fall to pieces, from the unequal expansion. It is an insulator of clectricity, and becomes negatively electric by friction. It is slightly ...
Economic Geology (2011)
Principles and Practice by Walter L. Pohl
Geochemistry Sulphur is a nonmetallic element of lithophile character. Its crustal abundance is estimated at 500ppm...
m , Sulphur. SULPHUR is a simple mineral substance of yellow color, insoluble in water but fusible by heat. When slightly warmed it cxhules a peculiar odor. If heated to upward of 232° it fuses into a very limpid fiuid . of a canary-yellow color; ...
sulphur is a larger atom than oxygen (b) sulphur is less electronegative than Oxygen (c) H2S has back bonding due to vacant 3d orbital (d) there is no possibility of hydrogen bonds in ...
Owl in the Cedar Tree (1992)
by Natachee Scott Momaday
Sulphur is a commodity which is difficult to move by rail, and the Santa Fe and the Duval Corporation engineers devised a method of shipping the mineral in a molten state. The sulphur was heated to 290 degrees, then fed into large tank cars, ...
Comprehending the Pharmacopoeias of London, Edinburgh, and Dublin, with a Variety of Other Useful Information Relative to Medicine and Pharmacy, Designed Expressly for the Use of Students by Thomas Castle
SULPHUR. L. Sulphur; or Brimstone. Sulphur occurs native associated with gypsum, limestone, and sulphate of strontia ...
With Its Application to the Arts and Manufactures, and to the Explanation of the Phaenomena of Nature... : with Plates and Tables by William Nicholson
Sulphur OxIDE of Oxid E of Oxide of Oxide of Oxide of Oxide of CobALT. Zi Nc. AN'rt Mony. | MANGANEs E. TEllurium. | Titaniu M. Acids, oxalic Acids, gallic Acids, gallic Acids, oxalic Acids, nitric Acids, sulphumuriatic oxalic sebacic tartarous ...
by Chapin Aaron Harris, Ferdinand James Samuel Gorgas
Native sulphur is obtained in great abundance from Solfatara in the kingdom of Naples. Sulphur possesses laxative, diaphoretic, and resolvent properties. It is employed both externally and internally in cutaneous affections, and is sometimes ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sulphur
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sulphur
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Vineesh Devasia
The sulphurous smell was horrendous.
Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
Photo credit: John Loo
Photo credit: trec_lit
- Sulphur Mountain Station
Photo credit: keepitsurreal
- Sulphur crystals, Phlegraean Fields
Photo credit: NH53
- Sulphur Water Stream
Photo credit: stwn
- Sulphur Mountain
Photo credit: Chase Pilchowski
- Queen Alexander's Sulphur
Colias alexandra perched briefly at oblique angle along Burnt Fork Creek near Gold Creek Campground.
Photo credit: Striking
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Sulphur
Click on an item to play that video:
- Volcanic sulphur Meaning
Video shows what volcanic sulphur means. Naturally occurring elemental sulfur as deposited at the fumarole of a volcano.. Volcanic sulphur Meaning. How to ...
- Vegetable sulphur Meaning
Video shows what vegetable sulphur means. The powdery spores of the club moss (Lycopodium clavatum). Vegetable sulphur Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Sulphur bottom whale Meaning
Video shows what sulphur bottom whale means. the blue whale. Sulphur bottom whale Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Sulphur of ivy Meaning
Video shows what sulphur of ivy means. Corruption of sulphur vivum. Sulphur of ivy Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say sulphur ...
- Sulphur tuft Meaning
Video shows what sulphur tuft means. A yellow poisonous fungus, (= ).. Sulphur tuft Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say sulphur ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Sulphur!
Scrabble value of S1U1L1P3H4U1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SULPHUR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sulphur!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sulphur to see it in context!