Summer appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- As last summer a hated act sold a sad lost cadet, a harem must salsa.
- He emits it in a fat pod at summer: "A harem must adopt a fan; it is time, eh?"
On this page:
- Definition of the noun summer
- Definition of the verb summer
- Phrases with Summer
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Summer
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Summer
- Photos about Summer
- Video language resources about Summer
- Sign language
- Quotes about Summer
- Scrabble value of S1U1M3M3E1R1
- Anagrams of SUMMER
- Share this page
The word summer is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun summer
What does summer mean as a name of something?
Summer is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: summers
- the warmest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the summer solstice to the autumnal equinox
- example: they spent a lazy summer at the shore
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of summer: summertime
- more generic terms: season / time of year = one of the natural periods into which the year is divided by the equinoxes and solstices or atmospheric conditions
- the period of finest development, happiness, or beauty
Alternative definition of the noun summer
- One of four seasons, traditionally the second, marked by the longest and typically hottest days of the year due to the inclination of the Earth and thermal lag. Typically regarded as being from June 21 to September 20 in parts of the USA, and the months of December, January and February in the Southern Hemisphere.
- antonym: winter
- [obsolete] A pack-horse.
- synonym: summer-tree
- A horizontal beam supporting a building.
- A person who sums.
Definition of the verb summer
What does summer mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: summered | summering | summers
- spend the summer
- example: We summered in Kashmir
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] My family always summered at the seashore
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic words: pass / spend = use up a period of time in a specific way
- "Summer" is a 2008 film directed by Kenneth Glenaan and starring Robert Carlyle and Rachael Blake. It tells the story of a lively and wayward spirit coming to terms with the realities of age and death. Shaun has to confront past demons as his first love re-appears and his best friend, Daz, is terminally ill. The film is set mainly in Shaun's present day life but he also reflects on his childhood in flashbacks.
- "Summer" a.k.a. "Summer's Blood": Summer's Blood is a Canadian horror film starring Ashley Greene. It was released directly to DVD on November 10, 2009.
- read more about Summer's Blood
- "Summer" is a Walt Disney short film released on January 6, 1930. Directed by Ub Iwerks, it is the sequel to the short Springtime. It's 6 minutes long.
- "Summer" a.k.a. "The Green Ray" is a 1986 film by Éric Rohmer. It was released as Summer in North America. The film stars Marie Rivière, Rosette, Béatrice Romand, Carita and Vincent Gauthier. It is named for the novel of the same name by Jules Verne. It was shot in France on 16mm film and much of the dialogue is improvised.
- read more about The Green Ray
- "Summer" a.k.a. "Verano": Summer is a 2011 Chilean drama film written and directed by José Luis Torres Leiva.
- read more about Verano
- "Summer" a.k.a. "27 Missing Kisses" is a 2000 Georgian film directed by Nana Djordjadze. It was Georgia's submission to the 73rd Academy Awards for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but was not accepted as a nominee.
- read more about 27 Missing Kisses
- "Summer" is a 2006 dramatic short film written and directed by Hong Khaou.
- "Summer" a.k.a. "Zomer" is a film, directed by Colette Bothof.
- read more about Zomer
- "Summer" is a film, directed by Phil Price.
- "Summer" is a 1968 film directed by Marcel Hanoun.
- also known as L'été
- country: France
- language: French
- released in (48 years ago)
- "Summer" is a 1988 drama film written by Philip Gröning, Nicolas Humbert and Ralf Zöller and directed by Philip Gröning.
- also known as Sommer
- country: West Germany
- language: German Language
- producer: Philip Gröning
- written by Philip Gröning, Nicolas Humbert, Ralf Zöller
- genre: Drama
- released in (28 years ago)
- read more about Summer (film)
- "Summer" is a 1997 film written and directed by Aidan Hill.
- costume design by Mas Kondo
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Summer" is a film, directed by Nathaniel Dorsky.
- country: United States of America
- released in
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2009 film Days of Summer.
- Summer is a fictional character in the 1985 film Flesh and Blood.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 1981 film The Enchanted Grove.
- Summer is a fictional character from The Chronicles of Holly-Weird.
- Summer is a fictional character from Milf Money.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2009 film Sorority Wars.
- Summer is a fictional character on the 2005 film "Haunted Boat".
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2007 film Lions for Lambs.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2006 film H 2 O.
- Summer is a fictional character in the film Candy Rain.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2011 film 8:46.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2010 film Mob Rules.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2012 film So Undercover.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2011 film Phillip the Fossil.
- Summer is a fictional character in the 2013 film A Cake for Mabel.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2002 film Leela.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2014 film Dakota's Summer.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 1995 film Clueless.
- Summer is a fictional character from 2007 drama film Never Down.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2013 film Abducted.
- Summer is a fictional character in the 2013 film The Face of Love.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2013 film Stakes.
- Summer is a fictional character in the 1994 action western tv film Blind Justice.
- Summer is a fictional character from the 2013 film Gregory Go Boom.
- Summer a.k.a. Summer Symonds: Summer is a fictional character in the 2010 drama comedy film The Joneses.
- read more about Summer Symonds
There are other characters with in their name, like Paul Summer, Summer Hyde, Summer Shaw, Summer Quinn, Summer Swann, Summer Newman, Summer Gleeson, Summer Hoyland, Summer Roberts, Summer Hathaway, Summer solstice, I Know What You Did Last Summer.
- Summer a.k.a. Summer Phoenix is an American actress and model. She is the youngest sibling of River Phoenix, Rain Phoenix, Joaquin Phoenix, and Liberty Phoenix, and is married to actor Casey Affleck.
- read more about Summer Phoenix (actress)
- Summer a.k.a. Summer Altice: Summer Danielle Altice is an American fashion model and actress. She was named after Miss USA 1975, Summer Bartholomew.
- read more about Summer Altice
- Summer a.k.a. Laura Ann Tull is an actress.
- read more about Laura Ann Tull (actress)
- Summer a.k.a. Katherine Shanklin is an actress.
- read more about Katherine Shanklin (actress)
Phrases with Summer
- summer haw
- summer camp
- summer duck
- Summer Melt
- summer rape
- Summer Soup
- Summer time
- summer grape
- Summer grass
- Summer Holly
- summer house
- Summer Sedge
- Summer Skate
- summer stock
- summer sweet
View more phrases with the word Summer in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Summer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
E-Book by Margaret Harris
Summer Memories summer breeze brightly picnics blankets gardens folks strawberries lightning Summer is a warm time. The wind blows the trees gently in the breeze. The skies are blue and the clouds are white. The sun shines brightly.
Macrobiotics for All Seasons (2013)
Vegan Recipes for Year-Round Health and Happiness by Marlene Watson-Tara
Summer is a good time to forget our worries and let our hair down. As children...
Summer is the season of high energy, joy and passion. It is when...
Generol Considerotions Summer is a time of openness and peace...
A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon
Summer is a four-to-twelve shift of nightsticks and Western District wagon runs, with three hundred hard cases on the...
Summer is the season of motiveless murder, of broken-blade steak knives and bent tire irons; it's the time for truly ...
by Sabine Louise
Summer is the season that corresponds to the three hottest months of the year, approximately June, July,
The Living Church (1957)
Summer is a happy hunting ground for poets and "artists. Wise people use summer as a time in which to catch up...
Sex and Race in Peyton Place by Sally Hirsh-Dickinson
” Indian summer is a season that isn't a season, one that promises something it will not, ...
The Half-Life of Hate (2002)
by Kacy Curtis
Summer is a down-trodden soldier, obediently marching to- wards it's own death. It follows...
Over 150 Curious Questions and Intriguing Answers by Andrew Thompson
An Indian summer is a short period of warm and sunny weather just prior to winter.
by Benjamin Keach
The Summer is the chief time of the year, that season which generally all men prize, long for, and rejoice in : so the time of Gospel Grace, and Gospel light, is the chiefest and choicest season in the world. The time of the Gospel, ...
The U.S. Democratic Review (1855)
Summer is the time of greatest heat, and the source of heat is fire ; fire, therefore, is afit type of the season. Autumn is the period of fruitfulness ; its dominant idea is food, and the earth is the visible and immediate source of food; earth, ...
The United States Review (1855)
Summer is the time of greatest heat, and the source of heat is fire ; fire, therefore, is a fit type of the season. Autumn is the period of fruit/'ulness ; its dominant idea is food, and the earth is the visible and immediate source of food; earth, ...
Summer is the time of greatest heat, and the source of heat is fire ; fire, therefore, is afit type of the season. Autumn is the period of fruitfulnesa ; its dominant idea is food, and the earth is the visible and immediate source of food; earth, ...
by Walter Page Wright
early summer (Botanical Magazine, t.
violet, forms a silvery carpet in early summer; longifolia subsessilis, blue, summer, 3 ft.; repens, creeper, blue; spicata, blue, ...
A Reference System of Commercial Horticulture, Covering the Practical and Scientific Phases of Horticulture, with Special Reference to Fruits and Vegetables by Granville Lowther, William Worthington
Peach trees set upon good soil and thoroughly cultivated will make a very rapid growth the second summer. Some of the leading shoots will commonly make a growth of from five to six feet if allowed to develop unchecked, especially upn the ...
by Thomas Wright
Summer. *. (1) A sumpter-horse. (2) The chief beam of a floor. (3) The part of a waggon which supports the body. Sussex. Summer-barm, v. To ferment. Summer-cock, s. A voung salmon. North.
That when there has been no storm before or after the vernal equinox, the ensuing summer is generally. dry, at least five times in fix. 2. That when a storm happens from an easterly point, either on the 19th, 20th, or 21st of May, the succeeding ...
The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener by Fern Marshall Bradley, Barbara W. Ellis, Ellen Phillips
spring to summer; yellow, white, red, terra-cotta, pink, cream, purple Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed): summer; orange, yellow, red Baptisia spp. ( baptisias): spring to summer; blue, white, yellow, purple Boltonia asteroides ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Summer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Summer
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: SLPTWRK
From a park. It is so green..
Photo credit: righto....
Photo credit: notic
Photo credit: alubavin
Photo credit: downing.amanda
Photo credit: myeralan
Photo credit: mihail_krastev
Photo credit: Cristiana Bardeanu
Photo credit: Aleksander Markin. Александр Маркин
Photo credit: Rody09
The summer is back to Bavaria
Photo credit: DaOpfer
Photo credit: Malika Ladak
Photo credit: Dace Kiršpile
Photo credit: khalid Albaih
- Summer morning
Photo credit: h.wahlsten
- Summer Ambiance
Photo credit: frederic.gombert
- Summer Flowers
Photo credit: Dave McLear
Photo credit: andrechinn
- Summer Sky
Over the Baltic Sea
Photo credit: S.M.Holm
Summertime, and the livin' is easy...
Photo credit: Gary Lerude
View more pictures about Summer Blues.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Summer
Click on an item to play that video:
- LEARN ENGLISH - SUMMER WORDS - VOCABULARY for Children
LEARN ENGLISH - SUMMER WORDS - VOCABULARY is an educational video for children, teenagers, and adults. People (English Language Learners - ESL) ...
- LEARN ENGLISH VOCABULARY - summer
- Summer meaning and pronunciation
Quirky, unlike any other woman that you will ever meet. She doesn't play games and she is more straight forward and honest than most women in your life.
- Staz Lindes - DEVIL SLANG SUMMER 2013
Staz Lindes - DEVIL SLANG SUMMER 2013.
- Crystal Frontier - Calexico - Summer Slang
SUMMER SLANG, Columbiahalle, Berlin, 08.22.2006.
- Camps with Meaning Summer Video 2014
Remember summer 2014! Camps with Meaning is the Camp Ministry of Mennonite Church Manitoba. Summer camp is operated at three sites: Camp Assiniboia, ...
- Re Definition summer 2015
Dance performance on the pool edge.
- Donna Summer - Disco's Deeper Meaning
Donna Summer joined Tom Ashbrook and Alice Echols to discuss the disco era. April 9, 2010. You can...
- 2014 Summer Vocabulary Week 3
- 2014 Summer Vocabulary Week 4
- 2014 Summer Vocabulary Week 1
- 'Winnipeg summer' meaning and pronunciation
A two-day or three-day weekend. 'Winnipeg summer' definition by Urban Dictionary.
- Summer Season! Vocabulary and Discussion
- Flowers in Spring and Summer, Blossoms, House plants - Glenn Doman Cards - Vocabulary Flash Card
NurseryDayTV PRESENTS: Glenn Doman Card. Flowers in Spring and Summer, Blossoms, House plants. This methodology combines nearly half a century of ...
- Video Product Preview for Summer Vocabulary Mini Unit
- HHMS Summer Session Explanation
- Summer Was Fun - Sine Language
- The Love Language - Summer Dust
- Summer Was Fun - Sine Language
- BCS Summer Language Camp 2015 - Slideshow
Here's a compilation of selected camp photos!
- Tezukayama Summer ESL Camp at Queen Margaret's School
During the summer of 2011, Queen Margaret's School welcomed female students from Tezukayama in Japan. These girls learned the English language, ...
- Summer ESL Camp
- Junior Summer Language Camps
Xplore offers action packed English language summer camps in the UK, Germany, China and USA for children, teenagers and students aged 6-17 years. To find ...
- Summer Language Abroad - University of Notre Dame
The Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures' Summer Language Abroad (SLA) Grant Program provides funding for individual summer foreign language ...
- BCS Summer Language Camp 2014 Slideshow
- France Summer Language Program for High School Students - Putney Student Travel
- UNG Summer Language Institute
The Summer Language Institute (SLI) is academically challenging, fun, and thoroughly rewarding. You will earn 8 academic credit hours and complete the ...
- Summer Language and Culture Camp
Labrador Inuit Youth camp out on the land for 7-10 days. Youth participate in activities such as hunting, fishing, hiking, traditional tool making, throat singing, ...
- CeLCAR at Indiana University Summer Language Institute
Every summer, students from around the country come to Indiana University to settle in to learn languages many of us have never heard of. Now why would they ...
- Dean John McGreevy: Summer Language Abroad
See also the pronunciation examples of Summer!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign Language-Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer
American Sign Language to Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer. This is for entertainment purposes only, not for profit. All rights are to the respected owners.
- Jun 24, 2014 ASL, sign language, roar, lip sinc, road trip, summer conference
via YouTube Capture ASL, sign language, roar, lip sinc, road trip, summer conference.
- Sign Language-She Looks So Perfect by 5 Seconds of Summer
American Sign Language to She Looks So Perfect by 5 Seconds of Summer. This is for entertainment purposes only, not for profit. All rights are to the respected ...
- Summer Signs: Sun, Swim, Fun, Vacation, Ocean, ASL, Baby Sign Language
SignShine is giving you another fun tutorial. Learn 4th of July signs, step by step--- and then test yourself! Summer Vacation Fun Sun Ocean Water Have a great ...
- Sign Language-Beside You by 5 Seconds of Summer
American Sign Language to Beside You by 5 Seconds of Summer. This is for entertainment purpose only, not for profit. All rights are to the respected owners.
Quotes about Summer
The end of summer is not the end of farewell
The end of summer is something beautiful shall keep to remember
When next summer come The end of summer will never end
Then summer always lies on your mind (Henry Marthinus Ohello)
more quotes about summer...
Scrabble value of S1U1M3M3E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SUMMER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Summer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Summer to see it in context!