On this page:
- Definition of the noun supergrass
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Supergrass
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Supergrass
- Photos about Supergrass
- Video about Supergrass
- Quotes about Supergrass
- Scrabble value of S1U1P3E1R1G2R1A1S1S1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun supergrass
What does supergrass mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: supergrasses
- a police informer who implicates many people
- region: Britain / Great Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of supergrass: grass
- more generic words: betrayer / blabber / informer / rat / squealer = one who reveals confidential information in return for money
Alternative definition of the noun supergrass
- An informer providing substantial quantities of information on criminal or terrorist activities to the police.
Supergrass were an English alternative rock band from Oxford. The band consisted of brothers Gaz and Rob Coombes, Mick Quinn and Danny Goffey.
- also known as Alright - Supergrass
- genres: Alternative rock, Britpop
- albums: "Caught by the Fuzz", "I Should Coco", "Lenny", "Going Out", "In It for the Money", "Late in the Day", "Richard III", "Sun Hits the Sky", "Supergrass", "Mary", "Pumping on Your Stereo", "Grace", "Life on Other Planets", "Rush Hour Soul", "Seen the Light", "Supergrass Is 10. The Best of 94-04", "Kiss of Life", "Road to Rouen", "Mansize Rooster", "Diamond Hoo Ha", "Bad Blood", "Diamond Hoo Ha Man", "Fin", "Low C", "Release the Drones", "St. Petersburg", "Moving", "Rebel in You", "Alright/Time", "Lose It", "Helter Shelter 1995", "Alright", "Essential"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act
- nominated to Brit Award for British Single - "Alright/Time"
- nominated to Brit Award for British Video - "Alright"
- nominated to NME Award for Best New Band
- Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act
- NME Award for Best New Band
- nominated to Brit Award for British Video - "Late in the Day"
- nominated to MTV Video Music Award Best Breakthrough Video - "Pumping On Your Stereo"
- nominated to MTV Video Music Award for Best Visual Effects - "Pumping On Your Stereo" (Special Effects: Jim Henson's Creature Shop)
- nominated to MTV Video Music Award for Best Art Direction - "Pumping On Your Stereo" (Art Director: Garth Jennings)
- nominated to Brit Award for British Single - "Moving"
- nominated to Brit Award for British Video - "Pumping On Your Stereo"
- official website: www.supergrass.com
"Supergrass": Supergrass is the third album by the English alternative rock band Supergrass. It was released in the UK on 20 September 1999 and reached #3. It is often referred to as both "the X-ray" album, due to the picture on the sleeve, and self-titled. In Australia a free CD was included with some live tracks.
- also known as Australian Bonus Disc
- genres: Indie rock, Britpop, Alternative rock
- released on (15 years ago)
"Supergrass" is a book by Everett True.
- Supergrass is a British slang term for an informer, which originated in London. Informers had been referred to as "grasses" since the late-1930s, and the "super" prefix was coined by journalists in the early 1970s to describe those informers from the city's underworld who testified against former associates in a series of high-profile mass trials at the time. One of the first police informers to receive the 'supergrass' nickname was Bertie Smalls.
- supergrass is an English word with only one symantic meaning. It is comprised of the "super-" prefix morpheme and the "grass" free morpheme.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Supergrass
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2013)
15 Professional Athletes Turned Into Murderers by William Webb
Supergrass. Clears. the. Footballer. Grant wascleared of another murder by thetestimony ofaso called supergrass, Darren Mathurin. Supergrass is a British slang term ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
supergrass noun 1 an informer who gives the police substantial amounts of information, or who informs ona major crime or terrorist operation. Bertie Smalls, a notorious or legendary (depending on yourpoint of view) small-time robber ...
by Peter Joyce, Neil Wain
An informant (sometimes known as a 'grass' or – depending on the scale of activity – a 'supergrass') is either a criminal or a person who associates with criminals who passes on to the police information relating to the criminal activities of ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
8, Fall 1997 supergrass noun 1 an informer who gives the police substantial amounts of information, or who informs on a major crime or terrorist operation UK, 1978 Bertie Smalls, a notorious or legendary (depending on your point of view) ...
by Philip D. Morehead
dummy juice, elephant, hog, lovely, love boat, parsley, pig killer, purple rain, rocket fuel, scaffle, soma, supergrass, superweed, water. j. peyote, mescal[ine]. Slang, beans, big chief, button, ...
Collins Rhyming Dictionary (2014)
by Rosalind Fergusson
Stallybrass, galloglass, sparrowgrass, masterclass, secondclass, Plexiglas®, workingclass, middleclass, Khyber Pass,fibreglass, isinglass,overpass, underpass, upperclass, underclass, superclass, supergrass, coup de grâce, * snake in the ...
identikit, meat wagon, on the beat, police dog, radar trap, shakedown, speed trap, truncheon 10 body armour, police cell, police trap, supergrass, tenderloin, tracker dog, watch house 11 fingerprint, flying squad, jam sandwich, Judges' Rules, ...
Shorter Slang Dictionary (2003)
by Paul Beale, Eric Partridge
supergrass an informer who is instrumental in breaking up large and powerful criminal rings. Late 1970s. See also grass, n. 1. superintendent of the sidewalk a pedestrian who stands (esp. habitually) on the sidewalk (or pavement ) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Supergrass
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Supergrass
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Supergrass
Video shows what supergrass means. An informer providing substantial quantities of information on criminal or terrorist activities to the police.. Supergrass ...
Quotes about Supergrass
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'supergrass"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of S1U1P3E1R1G2R1A1S1S1
The value of this 10-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Supergrass to see it in context!