Survive appears in the following tongue twister:
- If Pickford's packers packed a packet of crisps would the packet of crisps that Pickford's packers packed survive for two and a half years?
(from Naomi Fletcher's real life)
On this page:
- Definition of the verb survive
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Survive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Survive
- Usage statistics about survive
- Photos about Survive
- Video language resources about Survive
- Quotes about Survive
- Scrabble value of S1U1R1V4I1V4E1
- Share this page
The word survive and its family (survival, survived, survives, surviving, survivor, survivors) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb survive
What does survive mean as a doing word?
Survive is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: survived | surviving | survives
- continue to live and avoid dying
- examples: These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America | The business is going to survive
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Theme] [Verb] The beer foamed | The voices echoed | Unicorns don't exist Verbs of Existence: endure [Theme] [Verb] [Location] I endured the routine heavy traffic [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Unicorns don't exist on Earth [Agent - being] [Verb] on [Patient] Cynthia breakfasted on peaches | Cynthia gorged on peaches Verbs of Ingesting: exist, feed, flourish, gorge, live, prosper, subsist, thrive
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of survive: endure / go / hold out / hold up / last / live / live on
- more specific terms:
- entailment: be / live = have life, be alive
- continue in existence after (an adversity, etc.)
- example: He survived the cancer against all odds
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme] [Verb] The beer foamed | The voices echoed | Unicorns don't exist [Theme] [Verb] [Location] I endured the routine heavy traffic [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Unicorns don't exist on Earth
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): endure.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of survive: come through / make it / pull round / pull through
- antonym of survive: succumb
- more generic terms: defeat / get the better of / overcome = win a victory over
- entailment: convalesce / recover / recuperate = get over an illness or shock
- support oneself
- live longer than
Alternative definition of the verb survive
- [intransitive] Of a person, to continue to live; to remain alive.
- [intransitive] Of an object or concept, to continue to exist.
- [transitive] To live longer than, to outlive.
- [transitive] To live past a life-threatening event.
- "Survive" is the ninth studio album by Japanese rock band B'z. The album sold 1,040,160 copies in its first week, lower than their last studio album, the album still managed to sell over 1,723,030 copies.
- "Survive" is the second studio album by American thrash metal band Nuclear Assault, released in 1988 on vinyl, compact disc and cassette. As of 2012, the album has been out of print. Survive was the album that broke Nuclear Assault into the thrash metal mainstream, and was their first album to enter the Billboard 200, reaching number 145 on that chart. "Fight to Be Free" and the Led Zeppelin cover "Good Times Bad Times" were released as singles to promote the album.
- "Survive" is a song and single written by David Bowie and Reeves Gabrels for the album 'hours...' in 1999.
- "Survive" is the second full-length studio album by Much the Same. It was released on August 29, 2006 by Nitro Records and is the last album by the band before their breakup.
- "Survive" is the 2000 single by David Bowie.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Survive" is a musical single of Alice Bag Band.
- released in (36 years ago)
- "Survive" is a musical album of Ian Bromfield & Sly and Robbie.
- "SURVIVE" is a musical single of Miyavi.
- released on (4 years ago)
"Survive" a.k.a. "Supervivientes de los Andes": Survive! is a 1976 Mexican thriller film directed by René Cardona Jr.. The film released on January 15, 1976 in Mexico and is based on the 1973 book Survive! by Clay Blair, which is based on the 1972 Andes flight disaster.
- also known as Survive!
- country: Mexico
- languages: Spanish Language, English Language
- producers: René Cardona Jr. & René Cardona
- written by René Cardona Jr. & Clay Blair
- cinematography by Genaro Hurtado & Luis Medina
- edited by Alfredo Rosas Priego & Marshall M. Borden
- music by Gerald Fried, Raúl Lavista
- genres: World cinema, Drama
- released in (39 years ago)
- award: - Ariel Award for Best Editing nomination for Alfredo Rosas Priego
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Survive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
First, SURVIVE is a strictly local operation, one that involves relations between a head H and a YP within HP. As such, it is consistent with the locality of Merge, which also involves relations between a head H and a YP. By having only local ...
by Douglas A. Powell
"To survive is an astonishing gift," D. A. Powell writes. "The price of that gift is memory.
Political Anthropology (1979)
by Marc J. Swartz, Victor Witter Turner, Arthur Tuden
The second fiesta to survive is that of the patron saint, Our Father Jesus. But although its size, ...
by John Houston Merrill, Thomas Johnson Michie, Charles Frederic Williams, David Shephard Garland
Under this act an the cause and effect is so close as to sup- action for seduction is held to survive, port an action of trespass, or so indirect as Shafer -'. Grimes, 23 Iowa, 550. to require an action on the case at common Under Miss. Code 1S71 ...
An Encyclopedia of Behavioral Economics by Morris Altman
Only the relatively efficient firms survive the test of the market. A key assumption here is that the market forces force individuals to behave in a manner that generates “optimal,” efficient, productivity-maximizing results. Only optimal behavior is ...
A 12-Volume Set
Dozens oflargescale, Babylonian, cuneiform mapsand plans survive from...
In China,three maps survive from thesecond century BC,but fewothers until the twelfth century AD when,again, maps first become common. Evidence also suggestsa ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Survive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about survive
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb survive:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb survive and its most common antonym:
Photos about Survive
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Only the Strong Survive.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Survive
Click on an item to play that video:
- Survive Meaning
Video shows what survive means. Of a person, to continue to live; to remain alive.. Of an object or concept, to continue to exist.. To live longer than; to outlive..
- The survive craft explanation
- Survive the Blues Tenor with explanation: Adam Connelly Saxophone Teacher Brisbane
Adam Connelly demonstrates and explains how to play ten licks on tenor sax to get yourself out of trouble playing a blues in the key of Concert C.
- +Australian slang will survive, says Kathy Lette
A new generation of Australians is coining fewer slang expressions and borrowing more from abroad. Australian author and social commentator Kathy Lette ...
- TUTORIAL AND DESCRIPTION OF SURVIVE
- Ignite FC 2: How to Learn a Foreign Language and Survive - Steve Martin
How to Learn a Foreign Language and Survive by Steve Martin.
- Business Presentations in a Second Language. Survive & Enjoy
View more videos about To Survive.
See also the pronunciation examples of Survive!
Quotes about Survive
Scrabble value of S1U1R1V4I1V4E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine