The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun suspension:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun suspension
- Phrases with Suspension
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Suspension
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Suspension
- Photos about Suspension
- Video language resources about Suspension
- Quotes about Suspension
- Scrabble value of S1U1S1P3E1N1S1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Suspension is a member of the word family suspend, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun suspension
What does suspension mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: suspensions
- a mixture in which fine particles are suspended in a fluid where they are supported by buoyancy
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic word: mixture = a substance consisting of two or more substances mixed together
- more specific words:
- slurry = a suspension of insoluble particles (as plaster of Paris or lime or clay etc.) usually in water
- resuspension = a renewed suspension of insoluble particles after they have been precipitated
- mash = a mixture of mashed malt grains and hot water
- vapour / vapor = a visible suspension in the air of particles of some substance
- a time interval during which there is a temporary cessation of something
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonyms of suspension: break / intermission / interruption / pause
- more generic terms: interval / time interval = a definite length of time marked off by two instants
- more specific terms:
- lapse = a break or intermission in the occurrence of something
- blackout = a suspension of radio or tv broadcasting
- caesura = a pause or interruption
- dead air = an inadvertent interruption in a broadcast during which there is no sound
- postponement / time lag / delay / hold / wait = time during which some action is awaited
- halftime = an intermission between the first and second half of a game
- rest period / respite / relief / rest = a pause for relaxation
- time-out = a brief suspension of play
- letup / lull = a pause during which things are calm or activities are diminished
- temporary cessation or suspension
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of suspension: abeyance
- more generic words: inaction / inactiveness / inactivity = the state of being inactive
- more specific terms:
- an interruption in the intensity or amount of something
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of suspension: abatement / hiatus / reprieve / respite
- more generic words: break / interruption = some abrupt occurrence that interrupts an ongoing activity
- more specific words:
- a mechanical system of springs or shock absorbers connecting the wheels and axles to the chassis of a wheeled vehicle
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of suspension: suspension system
- more generic term: mechanical system = a system of elements that interact on mechanical principles
- part of: car / railcar / railroad car / railway car = a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; automotive vehicle / motor vehicle = a self-propelled wheeled vehicle that does not run on rails
- part: shock absorber / cushion / shock = a mechanical damper
- the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
- a temporary debarment (from a privilege or position etc)
Alternative definition of the noun suspension
- The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended
- A temporary delay, interruption, or cessation; Of labor, study, pain, etc.; Of decision, determination, judgment, etc.; Of judgment or opinion in view of evidence to be produced.; Of the payment of what is due; as, the suspension of a mercantile firm or of a bank.; Of punishment, or sentence of punishment.; Of a person in respect of the exercise of his office, powers, prerogative, etc.; as, the suspension of a student or of a clergyman.; Of the action or execution of law, etc.; as, the suspension of the habeas corpus act.
- A conditional withholding, interruption, or delay; as, the suspension of a payment on the performance of a condition.
- The state of a solid when its particles are mixed with, but not dissolved in, a fluid, and are capable of separation by straining; also, any substance in this state.
- A keeping of the hearer in doubt and in attentive expectation of what is to follow, or of what is to be the inference or conclusion from the arguments or observations employed.
- (Scots Law) A stay or postponement of execution of a sentence condemnatory by means of letters of suspension granted on application to the lord ordinary.
- [music] The prolongation of one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows, thus producing a momentary discord, suspending the concord which the ear expects; the discord so produced. Compare retardation.
- [topology] A topological space derived from another by taking the product of the original space with an interval and collapsing each end of the product to a point.
- [topology] A function derived, in a standard way, from another, such that the instant function's domain and codomain are suspensions of the original function's.
Specialised definition of the noun suspension
Glossary of sports
penalty imposed by a sport federation or sport club (disciplinary measure) against an individual athlete, a team, or a club in the form of exclusion from competition for a certain time period. A suspension can be imposed as a consequence of unsportsmanlike behaviour, doping, or change of clubs, or changing the country of residence without complying with the requirements of the responsible sport federation. In the case of doping a suspension can be permanently imposed. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / cycling
a system that absorbs shock on mountain bikes and some road bikes
Glossary of sports / soccer
the temporary barring of a player from competitive football (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
"Suspension" a.k.a. "Suspended": Suspended: A Cryogenic Nightmare is an interactive fiction video game written by Michael Berlyn and published by Infocom in 1983. Like most Infocom titles, it was available on most popular personal computers of the day, such as the Apple II, PC, Atari ST, and Commodore 64. It was Infocom's sixth game.
- read more about Suspended
- "Suspension" is a 2008 American science-fiction film directed by Alec Joler and Ethan Shaftel. It won the 2007 Spirit of the Independent Award for Best Science Fiction Film.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: Ethan Shaftel & Alec Joler
- genres: Action Film, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller, Psychological thriller, Supernatural, Drama
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Suspension" is a 2008 short film written and directed by Nicolas Provost.
- "Suspension" is a 2008 short film directed by Vanessa O'Neill.
- "Suspension" is a 1999 short film directed by David Phillips and Paul Rowley.
"Suspension" is a book written by Robert Westfield.
- genre: Fiction
- released in (9 years ago)
- Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Debut Fiction nomination for Robert Westfield
- Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Fiction nomination for Robert Westfield
- Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Fiction, received by Robert Westfield
- Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Debut Fiction, received by Robert Westfield
- "Suspension" is a musical album of Oren Ambarchi.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Suspension" a.k.a. "Suspensión" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Luis Alberto Spinetta
- "Suspension" is a musical EP of Silvum.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Suspension" is a musical album of Travis Larson Band.
- released in (14 years ago)
- Suspension is a form of punishment that people receive for violating rules and regulations.
- Suspension: A motorcycle's suspension serves a dual purpose: contributing to the vehicle's handling and braking, and providing safety and comfort by keeping the vehicle's passengers comfortably isolated from road noise, bumps and vibrations.
- Suspension: A suspension is the act of suspending a human body from hooks that have been put through body piercings. These piercings are temporary and are performed just prior to the actual suspension.
- Suspension: In topology, the suspension SX of a topological space X is the quotient space: of the product of X with the unit interval I = [0, 1]. Intuitively, we make X into a cylinder and collapse both ends to two points. One views X as "suspended" between the end points. One can also view the suspension as two cones on X glued together at their base.
- Suspension, in canon law, according to Roman Catholic doctrine and practice, is usually defined as a censure or punishment, by which a priest or cleric is deprived, entirely or partially, of the use of the power of orders, office, or benefice.
- Suspension is a construction passing from a map to a flow. Namely, let be a metric space, be a continuous map and be a function bounded away from 0.
- Suspension: A mixture in which fine particles are suspended in a fluid where they are supported by buoyancy.
Phrases with Suspension
Phrases starting with the word Suspension:
Phrases ending with the word Suspension:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Suspension
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An ap ratus for moulding tiles, comprising a sectional mould suspend d or rotation and provided with an automatically releasable front wallvadapted to an port the moulded tile, and a rotatable suspension means connecte with the mould and ...
An ap aratus for moulding tiles, comprising a sectional mould suspend d or rotation and provided with an automatically releasable front wall adapted to su port the moulded tile, and a rotatable suspension means connected) with the mould and ...
by Stephen C. Bounds, John R. Woolums, Judith S. Bresler, Rochelle S. Eisenberg, Edmund J. O'Meally
A suspension is the removal of a student from the school setting on either a shortterm (1 to 3 day), longterm (410 day),
defines various suspensions including: 13A.08.01.11B(3), Extended suspension means the temporary exclusion of a ...
by Fenwick W. English
Suspension is a mandated leave given to a student that prohibits the student from attending school. In-school suspension is...
Skin Care: Beyond the Basics (2011)
by Mark Lees
A suspension is a liquid solution in which the internal and external phases do not stay mixed for any period of time. We have talked here about lotions only. Many types of cosmetic emulsions are not lotions and contain other components ...
Therapy in Sleep Medicine (2011)
by Teri J. Barkoukis, Jean K. Matheson, Richard Ferber, Karl Doghramji
Tongue base suspension is a minimally invasive technique that seeks to prevent this from occurring by means of a submucosal suture looped through the base of the tongue and anchored to a screw placed along the lingual surface of the ...
ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA; Or, A DICTIONARY of Arts and Sciences, Compiled Upon a New Plan. In Wich the Different Science and Arts are Digested Into Distinct Treatises Or Systems; and The Various Technical Terms, ... are Explained as They Occur in the Order of the Alphabet. Illustrated with One Hundred and Sixty Copperplates, by a Society of Gentlemen in Scotland. IN THREE VOLUMES. Edinburgh: Printed for A. Bell and C. Macfarquhar; and Fold by Colin Macfarquhar, at this Printing-office, Nicolson Street. M.D.CC.LXXI. (1771)
Suspension is that form of law by which the effect of a sentence condemnatory, that has not yet received execucution, is stayed or postponed, till the cause be again considered. The first step towards suspension is a bill preferred to the Lord ...
Electrorheological Fluids (2011)
The Non-aqueous Suspensions by Tian Hao
suspensions. and. electrorheological. fluids. 1. COLLOIDAL SUSPENSIONS A suspension is a liquid-like soft material in which solid particles are dispersed in a liquid . If the dispersed particles are in the size range below ...
A Practical Approach by J.L. Sellink
Barium suspension is the contrast medium of choice here but Dionosil aquosum is possible. 5. Marshak's technique In very exceptional cases administration of contrast medium by drinking is unavoidable. The patient is here given 1 litre ...
by William Nicholson
The centre of gravity of the boat being more or less below the centre of suspension is an additional cause of its stability. , Fflect of a pa. Let us now examine the effect of a parachute represented rachute, as commonly isiade, by AB, Fig. 1, Pl. III.
by John Chisholm
Suspension can also be brought of decrees in absence pronounced in other inferior Courts. If, however, the action be for a sum not exceeding £12, the Lord Ordinary refuses the suspension, and, provided the suspender consign the expenses, ...
by Gary McCulloch, David Crook
school, sometimes called in-school suspension or 'time-out' usually requires the child to spend a set period of time in an isolated setting within the school. The child is required to complete work set by the school and is supervised by one of the ...
by Henry Philippsborn
d gärungsempfindlich f fermentescible p fermentescível; fermentescente 6105 suspension as a retard form by parenteral route (Prod.) (Pharmaceutic technology.) d Suspension fals verzögerte Freigabeform auf parenteralem Wege f ...
by Charles Taylor
Suspension of solid in liquid Filtrate Filtration catches insoluble solids in a filter paper. A clear solution passes into the flask below the funnel. Vapor △ Blood contains red and white blood cells in a. Many solutions consist of a soluble solid ...
by Anthony Kelly
A simple example of this principle is demonstrated by the prototype composite integrated rear suspension for a Ford Escort (Morris 1986). The basic steel rear suspension and the replacement FRP integrated suspension are shown in Fig. 3.
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
Suspension is that form of law by which the effect of a sentence condemnatory, that has not yet received execution, is stayed or postponed till the cause be again considered. The first step towards suspension is a bill preferred to tie lord ...
Electric railway dictionary (1911)
definitions and illustrations of the parts and equipment of electric railway cars and trucks by Rodney Hitt, American Transit Association
See Motor Suspension. Motor Nose Strap. A strap bolted to the truck transom and surrounding the motor nose to prevent it from lifting off of its seat. Motor Suspension. The method of supporting a railway motor on the truck. The motor frame is ...
The Pesticide Encyclopedia (2014)
by Kalyani Paranjape, Vasant Gowariker, V N Krishnamurthy, Sugha Gowariker
Code Details AD Aerosol dispenser CS Capsule suspension DC Dispersible concentrate DL Driftless formulations DP Dustable powder DS Powder for dry seed treatment DT Tablet for direct application EC Emulsifiable concentrate EG ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Suspension
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Suspension
Click on an item to view that photo:
The most simple, low-key flowerpot.
Photo credit: Whatsername?
Nick adjusting the leafs with Tesh's help. Note the nice new shocks.
Photo credit: nzhamstar
Photo credit: tico_24
Photo credit: Ben Chun
Photo credit: Aidan.Morgan
Photo credit: August Brill
Bridge in Maizuru, Japan
Photo credit: Andy Atzert
Photo credit: Kris Krug
Photo credit: Kris Krug
- Piked ankle suspension
She's three feet off the ground here.
Photo credit: sparr0
- Suspension, extended
Photo credit: sk8geek
- En suspension
Photo credit: apprenti3
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Suspension
Click on an item to play that video:
- Suspension Meaning
Video shows what suspension means. The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.. A temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation.
- Tough Dog - Suspension Terminology
Understanding the terms used to describe suspension and specific components is a great way to make sure you are getting the right gear for your unique ...
- F1 Red Bull RB10 Suspension Failure Explanation
TRE's Technical Consultant, Craig Scarborough, talks us through the unusual front suspension failure on Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull RB10-Renault during the ...
- T Minister Harish Rao explanation on Revanth Reddy suspension - Assembly session
Telangana Irrigation Minister T. Harish Rao detail explanation on Telangana Telugu Desam Party MLA Revanth Reddy suspension. He says Revanth Reddy ...
- NHL Explanation of Raffi Torres Suspension
The NHL's Senior VP of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan released this breakdown of why the Sharks' Raffi Torres was suspended for his hit in game 1 on the ...
- CM KCR explanation over suspension of TDP leaders from hall
Telangana CM KCR addressed that government is ready to discuss on each matter. He alleged that AP government denied 1086MW of power to state and the ...
- Mike Maier Inc MOD1 Front Suspension Technical Explanation
See Mike Maier of Mike Maier Inc discuss the MOD1 front coilover kit for 1964-1967 Ford Mustangs and other similar chassis. In this video he discusses ...
- Suspension Explanation 4
- Suspension Explanation 5
- City Attorney Katie Forster's Legal Explanation Regarding the Suspension of the #UCity6
Six University City firefighters were suspended for three months without pay because, as City Attorney Katie Forster stated, they violated Missouri Revised ...
- No suspension ruling - Brendan Shanahan's explanation on Stoll hit on Fowler Ducks VS Kings
NHL channel, 2/5/13 LA Kings VS Anaheim Ducks Shanaban's explains why Jarret Stoll's hit that injured Cam Fowler was a non-suspension, legal hit.
- Suspension of disbelief Meaning
Video shows what suspension of disbelief means. People's acceptance, for the sake of appreciation of art (including literature and the like), of what they know to ...
- Explanation for Account Suspension + Fourth Sector Broke Again
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Mudline suspension equipment
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Traction or suspension devices for medical beds
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = suspension of payments
- TRX! Speedy Description for two forms you should try using TRX suspension training
- Upgrade Description: Suspension
Pfadt Race Engineering Parts installed (GMPP licensed): Front and Rear Sway Bars (forgot to mention in the video) Rear Trailing Arms Solid Aluminum ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Suspension!
Quotes about Suspension
Scrabble value of S1U1S1P3E1N1S1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine