On this page:
Swara is a musical group.
- album: "In the House of Mirrors"
Who is Swara?
Swara is the child of Suchindra Bali.
- child of Suchindra Bali
- Swara: In the context of Indian classical music, Swara is a Sanskrit word that means a note in the octave. The seven basic swaras of the scale are named shadja, rishabh, gandhar, madhyam, pancham, dhaivat and nishad, and are shortened to Sa, Ri or Re, Ga, Ma, Pa, Dha, and Ni and written S, R, G, M, P, D, N. Collectively these notes are known as the sargam. Sargam is the Indian equivalent to solfege, a technique for the teaching of sight-singing. The tone Sa is not associated with any particular pitch. As in Western moveable-Do solfège, Sa refers to the tonic of a piece or scale rather than to any particular pitch.
- Swara is a child marriage custom in tribal areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is tied to blood feuds among the different tribes and clans where young girls are forcibly married to members of different clans in order to resolve the feuds. It is most common among Pashtuns.
- Swara a.k.a. Sora Language: Sora, or Savara, is a Munda language of India, spoken by some 288,000 native speakers in South Orissa in eastern India. Sora is written in the Latin and Telugu scripts, as well as the Sorang Sompeng script devised for the language in 1936. Many Sora people have the family name or surname Savara.
- read more about Sora Language
- Swara Channel is an independently operated 24-hour channel for the Indonesian Parliament. This channel has been established to promote transparency in the process of democracy and is the local equivalent of the US based CSPAN channel. SWARA regularly develops several live and recorded programs for creating political awareness among the people of Indonesia. This channel was established in 1999 with the financial assistance of IFES & USAID.
- official website: www.swara.tv
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Swara
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Music Aesthetics (2007)
by Manorma Sharma
Similarly, Pandit Sharangdev defines Swara in the following way-lmmediately consequent upon Shruti, creamy and resonating, the sound that delights the listener's mind by itself is called Swara. -TMkT VcW/4W 1:3:26 The phrase, Antar- Bhavi ...
The Dobe Ju/’Hoansi (2012)
by Richard Lee
Swara is a term associated with behaviors of extreme, almost exaggerated cordiality. Greetings are accompanied by jovial handshaking and backslapping, and sometimes include bawdy joking. The term is also used by a Herero with any Ju ...
4th International Conference, ObCom 2011, Vellore, TN, India, December 9-11, 2011, Part II. Proceedings by P. Venkata Krishna, M. Rajasekhara Babu, Ezendu Ariwa
A swara is a basic unit of Indian music. Hindustani and Carnatic Music are two forms of Indian music, where the basic concepts of these two are same but differ by the set of Ragas defined in those. In Carnatic Music, there are seven swaras, ...
A Music Lover's Guide to Hindustani Music by Haresh Bakshi
KANA (swara) [Sanskrit, meaning 'a particle, a grain, implying smallness'] kaNa swara means a note of a very short duration. It is an embellishment. It is the note that is touched, hardly for an instant, before going on to the next note. To put it ...
by Cosmic Kapoor S.K. & Cosmic Kapoor R.P.
Shat means six, swara means vowel and aarudhen means riding upon; riding upon six vowels (these are: akara, ekara, ukara, rikara, inkara and aikara). bejane shadd garattaka-ambhuj-sashithita bejane (seaded) shadd (six) garattaka ...
The Gift of Consciousness (2014)
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (Book One by Gitte Bechsgaard
#H#HRHRISTURTHE RHfaZIGääR: Il 2,221 KLESA-KARMA-VIPAKA-ASAYA| RAPARAMRSTAH PURUSA-VISESAISVARAH |Swara is a special being untouched and unaffected by afflictions, deeds, the results of action, and the latent ...
The Music Room (2011)
by Namita Devidayal
Swara means note literally, but it holds a deeper significance than its western definition. It is not just a particular musical frequency that can be found by hitting the right key on a piano or plucking a string a particular way. It is not a mechanical ...
by Anil Dutta Mishra, S. Narayanasamy
But today Swara means elimination of poverty and hunger, equality between classes and sexes, freedom from fear, and hope for a better future. The Swaraj of Gandhi's dream remains a dream unfulfilled. Today we can pledge to return to ...
by Mel Robin
For over a thousand years, the Swara yogis (Swara means breath) have been aware of a natural left-to-right rhythm of the breath and the subtle psychological and physiological changes that this lateral oscillation promotes. The effect, called ...
Amponga : A simple cylindrical two-headed drum from Madagascar Amsa : Swara (note) that describes the melodic entity of the Raga.
Hatah-yoga : (ha = the sun [swara]; tha ...
by William Marsden
Swara mi bukan-nia swara rakshdsa ado-pun szeura mambang dan dewa this voice is not the voice of a demon, but the voice of some celestial spirit. mumbang overplus, over-measure, excess. Running over. Sukdt-an mumbang a measure ...
by Norbert Shadeg
(=swara). suwara 2 intrans command; sing (birds). suwarga K n heaven (=swarga). su-wasa 1 n an alloy of gold and copper. suwasa 2 H n breath (hangkihan L). suwat 1 n a species of bamboo. suwat 2 intrans have lines on ...
A Dictionary in Sanscrit and English Translated Amended and Enlarged from an Original Compilation Prepared by Learned for the College Fort William (1832)
by Horace Hayman Wilson
and TCW aff, swara mfn. (-H:-wi-j) Greatest. E. s. and www. swara m.
With an Appendix on Modern Names of Ancient Indian Geography by Nundo Lal Dey
swara Mahadeo there.
Viz. English, Bángálí, and Hindústání. In the Roman Character by P. S. D'Rozario
or to certain notes—sur bândhan, swaramil k. swarer tdin karan–áwáz banáná, alápná, sádhná Modulation, s, act of modulating, inflection as of the voice in singing—swara bindhan, tún, swaramil, suswar, jantrádir sur karan–áwáz bándhná, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Swara
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Swara
Gamelan Dharma Swara
Photo credit: Leonard Nevarez
Video about Swara
Indian Flag Colour meaning : Swara Godase
Scrabble value of S1W4A1R1A1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Swara to see it in context!