On this page:
Definition of the noun swayer
What does swayer mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: swayers
- a person who rules or commands
- example: swayer of the universe
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of swayer: ruler
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- Inca = a ruler of the Incas
- basileus = a ruler of the eastern Roman Empire
- Bourbon = a member of the European royal family that ruled France
- khalifah / caliph / kaliph / khalif / calif / kalif = the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth
- potentate / dictator = a ruler who is unconstrained by law
- ameer / emeer / amir / emir = an independent ruler or chieftain
- ethnarch = the ruler of a province (as in the Roman Empire and Byzantine Empire) or certain religious rulers with secular authority
- hakim = a Muslim ruler or governor or judge
- Hanoverian = any of the British rulers who were members of the House of Hanover
- khan = a title given to rulers or other important people in Asian countries
- Moghul / Mogul = a member of the Muslim dynasty that ruled India until 1857
- oligarch = one of the rulers in an oligarchy
- overlord / master / lord = a person who has general authority over others
- Pharaoh of Egypt / Pharaoh = the title of the ancient Egyptian kings
- puppet leader / puppet ruler = a leader or ruler who is chosen by a despot to head a government
- regent = someone who rules during the absence or incapacity or minority of the country's monarch
- dynast = a hereditary ruler
- tribal sheikh / tribal sheik / Arab chief / sheikh / sheik = the leader of an Arab village or family
- crowned head / sovereign / monarch = a nation's ruler or head of state usually by hereditary right
- Stuart = a member of the royal family that ruled Scotland and England
- grand Turk / sultan = the ruler of a Muslim country
- Tudor = a member of the dynasty that ruled England
- tyrant = in ancient Greece, a ruler who had seized power without legal right to it
- instance: Tamburlaine / Timur Lenk / Tamerlane / Timur = Mongolian ruler of Samarkand who led his nomadic hordes to conquer an area from Turkey to Mongolia
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Swayer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The rhymers' lexicon (1971)
by Andrew Loring, George Saintsbury
prayer prepayer purveyor slayer soothsayer sprayer stayer surveyer swayer underpayer underplayer waylayer weigher allayest arrayest assayest betrayest bewrayest conveyest detrayest delayest dismayest disobeyest displayest essayest ...
by Alexander Melville Bell
WORDS TO BE DISTINGUISHED IN PRONUNCIATION gayer gare layer* lair mayor mare payer pair prayer* prayer stayer stair swayer swear weigher wear WORDS OF THE SAME PRONUNCIATION BUT DIFFERENT ORTHOGRAPHY.
by John Jamieson
To SWAYER, v. n. To walk feebly, as one who Is fatigued, S. B. Jfoift — Teut. tweyv-en, vacillare, nuiare, sweyrer, vagus. SWAUGER, (g hard.) A laige diaught. Ban lis; synon. Scoup, Swack, Waucht, 8. and E. Swig. Taylor's S. Poems .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Swayer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Swayer
Mount Swayer from the trail to Fisher Lake
Photo credit: Martin Bravenboer
Scrabble value of S1W4A1Y4E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SWAYER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Swayer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Swayer to see it in context!