The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sweep:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb sweep:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sweep
- Definition of the verb sweep
- Phrases with Sweep
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sweep
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sweep
- Photos about Sweep
- Video language resources about Sweep
- Sign language
- Quotes about Sweep
- Scrabble value of S1W4E1E1P3
- Anagrams of SWEEP
- Share this page
The word sweep is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sweep
What does sweep mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sweeps
- a wide scope
- someone who cleans soot from chimneys
- winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonym of sweep: slam
- more generic words: triumph / victory = a successful ending of a struggle or contest
- more specific terms:
- part of: bridge = any of various card games based on whist for four players
- a long oar used in an open boat
- (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running around the end of the line
- a movement in an arc
Alternative definition of the noun sweep
- The person who steers a dragon boat.
- A person who stands at the stern of a surf boat, steering with a steering oar and commanding the crew.
- A chimney sweep.
- A search (typically for bugs [electronic listening devices]).
- [cricket] A batsman's shot, played from a kneeling position with a swinging horizontal bat.
- A lottery, usually on the results of a sporting event, where players win if their randomly chosen team wins.
- A flow of water parallel to shore caused by wave action at an ocean beach or at a point or headland.
- A single action of sweeping.
Specialised definition of the noun sweep
Glossary of sports / canoeing
a stroke on which the blade moves through the water in a wide curve, thus helping to steer as well as propelling the vessel
Glossary of sports / cricket
a stroke in which the batsman goes down on one knee to play the ball to the leg side with a horizontal bat (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / martial arts
a method of bringing an opponent down by knocking one of his legs out of its stance and then throwing him off balance
Glossary of sports / rowing
the oar used in a sweep-oared boat
Definition of the verb sweep
What does sweep mean as a doing word?
Sweep is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
- sweep across or over
- move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dash, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, glide, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slither, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, swerve, swim, tack, tear, tiptoe, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, vault, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of sweep: sail
- more generic word: move = move so as to change position, perform a nontranslational motion
- more specific word: swan = sweep majestically
- sweep with a broom or as if with a broom
- examples: Sweep the crumbs off the table | Sweep under the bed
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I put the book here/there | I spooned the sauce there Verbs of Putting: bang, dump, funnel, hammer, pound, push, ram, shake, squeeze, wedge [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] between / in between [Destination, plural] He wedged the diamond between shifting dunes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] into / onto [Destination] I funneled the mixture into the bottle [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] into [Destination] The company is wedging into new markets [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Source] Brian wiped at the counter Verbs of Removing: bail, dab, dust, erase, lick, pluck, prune, rinse, rub, scour, scrape, scratch, scrub, squeeze, strip, suck, suction, swab, wash, wear, wipe [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Barry Cryer erased the writing [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of sweep: broom
- more generic terms: pass over / wipe = rub with a circular motion
- force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action
- to cover or extend over an area or time period
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] There raged a fire Verbs of Existence: billow, bloom, blossom, blow, breathe, bristle, bulge, burn, cascade, corrode, decay, decompose, effervesce, erode, ferment, fester, fizz, flow, flower, foam, froth, germinate, grow, judder, mold, moult, propagate, rage, respire, ripple, roil, rot, rust, seethe, smoke, smolder, spin, spread, sprout, stagnate, stream, suppurate, swing, tarnish, trickle, twirl, wilt, wither [Location - location, but not region] [Verb] with [Theme] The garden abounds with flowers | The garden flowered with roses [Theme] [Verb] The beer foamed | The voices echoed | Unicorns don't exist [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A fire raged in the mountains | Flowers abound in the garden | The voices echoed through the hall [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] All through the mountains raged a fire there [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] There meanders a river through the valley Verbs of Existence: angle, ascend, bend, cascade, climb, crawl, crest, crisscross, cross, cut, descend, dip, dive, drop, edge, emerge, go, meander, mount, pass, plummet, plunge, range, rise, run, skirt, slant, snake, straggle, stretch, swerve, tumble, turn, twist, undulate, veer, wander, weave, wind, zigzag there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] [Theme] There meanders through the valley a river [Theme - elongated] [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] The river runs through the valley [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Through the valley meanders the river
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of sweep: cross / span / traverse
- more generic words: continue / cover / extend = span an interval of distance, space or time
- clean by sweeping
- example: Please sweep the floor
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Source] Brian wiped at the counter [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Barry Cryer erased the writing [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic terms: clean / make clean = make clean by removing dirt, filth, or unwanted substances from
- win an overwhelming victory in or on
- cover the entire range of
- make a big sweeping gesture or movement
Alternative definition of the verb sweep
- [transitive] To clean (a surface) by means of a stroking motion of a broom or brush.
- [intransitive] To move through an (horizontal) arc or similar long stroke.
- [transitive] To search (a place) methodically.
- [intransitive, figuratively] To travel quickly.
- [cricket] To play a sweep shot.
- [curling] To brush the ice in front of a moving stone, causing it to travel farther and to curl less.
- [transitive, ergative] To move something in a particular motion, as a broom
- [sports, transitive] To win (a series) without drawing or losing any of the games in that series.
- [sports, transitive] To defeat (a team) in a series without drawing or losing any of the games in that series.
Specialised definition of the verb sweep
Glossary of sports / cricket
to hit a ball from a half-kneeling position by bringing the bat, held almost horizontally, across the body with a long smooth stroke (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Sweep is a British puppet and TV character popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and other countries.
- Sweep is a fictional character from the 1997 film Nattbuss 807.
- Sweep: The Sweeps are the names of several fictional characters in the various Transformers universes. They are often depicted as Heralds of Unicron.
- also known as Sweeps
- Sweep is a fictional character from the 2001 film Money Is Not Everything.
- Sweep is a fictional character from the 2008 film Come Hell or High Water.
"Sweep" is a book by Cy K. Jones.
"Sweep" is a musical album of Vapourspace.
- released in (18 years ago)
Sweep is a musical group.
- albums: "Two Players", "Miss You", "Sweepeepee"
Sweep was an American Thoroughbred racehorse.
- born in (108 years ago), child of Ben Brush
- Sweep: A sweep is the name used for two categories of martial arts techniques. From standing, sweeps are throws or takedowns that primarily use the legs to attack an opponent's legs. On the ground, sweeps are techniques for reversing a grappling position.
- Sweep is a digital audio editor and live playback tool for Linux, BSD and compatible systems. It is able to handle many sound formats, including MP3, WAV and Vorbis. Originally developed with the support of Pixar, the most notable feature of Sweep is its stylus-like cursor tool called Scrubby.
- official website: www.metadecks.org/software/sweep
- Sweep: A sweep is a running play in American football where the running back takes a pitch or handoff from the quarterback and starts running parallel to the line of scrimmage, allowing for the offensive linemen and fullback to get in front of him to block defenders before he turns upfield.
- SWEEP: The Soil and Water Environmental Enhancement Program, or SWEEP, was a Canadian agricultural program administered by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, and carried out by the province of Ontario. Designed to examine the effects of tillage on many types of soil, the program ran from 1986 through 1988.
- Sweep: In group motorcycle riding, the sweep is the rider last in line whose job is to ensure everyone else in the group ride arrives at the destination safely. The sweep is often the person with the most experience, not always the fastest, but certainly with a reliable motorcycle who is not going to be the person who breaks down or has a crash themselves. Having at least a basic amount of mechanical experience and tools is a plus, so field repairs may be made if necessary.
- The SWEEP learning programme was an innovative project that aimed to engage individuals in key issues relating to waste management and sustainability.
- Sweep is a cricket batting stroke.
Phrases with Sweep
Phrases starting with the word Sweep:
- sweep up
- sweep oar
- sweep off
- Sweep Out
- sweep away
- sweep hand
- sweep over
- Sweep Aside
- sweep through
- Sweep the Board
- sweep under the rug
Phrases ending with the word Sweep:
Other phrases containing the word Sweep:
View more phrases with the word Sweep in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sweep
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
From Lenin to Gorbachev by Robert V. Daniels
The Russian revolutionary sweep is an antidote to inertness, routine, conservatism, mental stagnation and slavish submission to ancestral traditions. The Russian revolutionary sweep is the lifegiving force which stimulates thought, impels ...
by Professor of Russian and Foreign Policy Richard Sakwa, Richard Sakwa
Russian revolutionary sweep is an antidote to inertia, routine, conservatism, mental stagnation and slavish submission to ancestral traditions. Russian revolutionary sweep is the life-giving force which stimulates thought, impels things forward, ...
by Srinivas Aluru
The first sweep is the original LBFS algorithm in which there is an arbitrary choice made when nodes are tied. The next two sweeps...
showed that the ordering produced by the final sweep is a node ordering (as defined in the ...
Proceedings by A. R. Baldwin
An air sweep is a continuous forced ...
LIX Fall Colloquium, ETVC 2008, Palaiseau, France, November 18-20, 2008, Revised Selected and Invited Papers by Frank Nielsen
A depth discontinuity sweep is a surface in dual space composed of the time- dependent family of depth discontinuity curves span as the camera pose describes a curved path in 3D space. Only part of this surface, which includes silhouettes, ...
by Jeff Tranter
The term sweep refers to the radio frequency output that changes or sweeps over a range of frequencies. The generator can also produce markers, which ...
And Then There Were Gnomes (2010)
by Colleen A. F. Venable
Being a chimney sweep is a very old job. Before Chinchillas vs. Chimney Sweeps houses had radiators and central heating, people had to build fires to stay toasty. Fires make soot, and breathing in soot is bad for you. Chinchilla dust, on the ...
New Horizons in Geometry (2012)
by Tom M. Apostol, Mamikon Mnatsakanian
To find this without calculus, simply note that the tractrix is a particular case of the “bicyclix,” whose tangent sweep is a circular sector of radius k. The full area is that of a quarter of a circular disk, or Whig/4. All these examples with tangents of ...
by Colleen AF Venable
Being a chimney sweep is a very old job. Before houses had radiators and central heating, people had to build fires to stay toasty. Fires make soot, and breathing in soot is bad for you. Chinchilla dust, on the other hand, is great for them!
Dreamer's Dictionary (2001)
Seeing a chimney sweep at work: good luck, and a promise that your private and professional life will change for the better. Running into a chimney sweep and getting soot on your clothes: your love affair won't remain a secret any longer.
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
swayed see suede sweep If you are a sweep, you have the job of seeing that people's chimneys are kept ...
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Sweep, one who ...
Encyclopedia of GIS (2007)
by Shashi Shekhar, Hui Xiong
Plane Sweep Algorithm, Figure 4 Third iteration of the algorithm Every time the sweep line stops, all inactive rectangles are removed, we test for intersection with the new rectangle, and we add the new rectangle to the active list. A data ...
by Christopher H. Sterling, Cary O'Dell
Music Scheduling A sweep describes any lengthy and uninterrupted (meaning commercial- and ...
by William D. Crump
Over the centuries, the sweep became a general symbol of good luck, including that for the New Year, among the British, Europeans, and Americans of European heritage. Despite romantic depictions in motion pictures such as Mary Poppins, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sweep
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sweep
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jetportal
Photo credit: bradhoc
minolta MC 28mm F2.8
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
Free high-resolution pictures you can use on your personal and commercial projects.
Click on an image to download the high-resolution version. New awesome pictures added weekly!
All pictures were captured by Ryan McGuire of Bells Design and free of copyright restrictions.
Photo credit: Free for Commercial Use
Blurry but still!
Photo credit: Jennie Park Photography
Photo credit: Mountain/\Ash
Photo credit: RedButtons
- Platinum Edition Sweep
Photo credit: Pete Slater
- Sweep, Silver
Photo credit: Insequent
- Sweep Bus!
Photo credit: pheezy
Photo credit: moesewco
Photo credit: 小猫王
- Sweep Clean
Street cleaners working hard to keep Silay City, Philippines clean.
Photo credit: Beegee49
- "Cape Lookout" "sweep panorama"
Photo credit: Ted Van Pelt
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sweep
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sweep Meaning
Video shows what sweep means. To clean (a surface) by means of a stroking motion of a broom or brush.. To move through an (horizontal) arc or similar long ...
- Idiom definitions and examples - Lesson 24 - Sweep it under the rug
Learn idiom definitions and example sentences to improve your fluency in English.
- Guitar Warm Ups for Lefties : Explanation of Sweep Picking on Left Handed Guitar
- EPIC DUSKULL SWEEP! + Some Explanation
- AFG - Bars 25/26 - Sweep Picking - Explanation
Rock Guitar Solo. Get the TAB & more at...
- AFG - Bars 21/22 - Sweep Picking - Explanation
Rock Guitar Solo. Get the TAB & more at...
- Journey Bonus: Morgan on meaning of Sweep
Jordan Morgan talks about what it meant to the team to sweep the Spartans last season. (01/21/2012 Michigan, Michigan State, Men's Basketball, The Journey)
- Phil Mackey analyzes meaning of Twins' sweep of White Sox
1500ESPN.com's Phil Mackey analyzes the Twins' sweep of the White Sox in Chicago.
- APEX sweep path definition
- Solo 20s VOCABULARY A Sweep & Circle
- Sweep out Meaning
Video shows what sweep out means. to remove by sweeping or brushing.. to remove someone outside of a place (where they are not wanted). Sweep out ...
- Sweep the board Meaning
Video shows what sweep the board means. To win all the prizes in a competition.. To get enough votes in an election to gain all the seats.. Sweep the board ...
- Sweep something under the rug Meaning
Video shows what sweep something under the rug means. To conceal a problem expediently, rather than remedy it thoroughly.. Sweep something under the rug ...
- Hall Sweep High Scores Screen Description
- Hall Sweep Title Screen Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Sweep!
Sweep in Baby Sign Language, ASL
Quotes about Sweep
Sweep before your own door first before you sweep before the doorsteps of your neighbors.
more quotes about sweep...
Scrabble value of S1W4E1E1P3
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SWEEP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sweep!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sweep to see it in context!