Sword appears in the following tongue twister:
- Three short sword sheaths.
Sword appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Drowsy, we don’t allot a toll at no dewy sword.
- Stop drowsy fire; vote no-one to verify sword pots.
- KC. A blade, pistol or tiny sword. Non-drowsy nitro? Lots. I pedal back.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sword:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sword
- Phrases with Sword
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sword
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sword
- Photos about Sword
- Video language resources about Sword
- Quotes about Sword
- Scrabble value of S1W4O1R1D2
- Anagrams of SWORD
- Share this page
The word sword is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sword
What does sword mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: swords
- a cutting or thrusting weapon that has a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard
- examples: The police are really good at understanding "Someone stole my credit card and ran up a lot of charges." It's a lot harder to get them to buy into "Someone stole my magic sword." | In the days of the knights, they wore shields to protect themselves from sword-fight wounds. | The pen is mightier than the sword. | This sword has a strange history. | All who take up the sword will perish by the sword. | Armed only with a short sword, he drove off all five of his attackers. | Run one's enemy through with a sword. | He exchanged a plough for a sword. | He was killed with a sword. | He forged the steel into a sword.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of sword: blade / brand / steel
- more generic terms: arm / weapon / weapon system = any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting
- more specific terms:
- backsword = a sword with only one cutting edge
- broadsword = a sword with a broad blade and (usually) two cutting edges
- cavalry sword / saber / sabre = a stout sword with a curved blade and thick back
- cutlass / cutlas = a short heavy curved sword with one edge
- falchion = a short broad slightly convex medieval sword with a sharp point
- fencing sword = a sword used in the sport of fencing
- rapier / tuck = a straight sword with a narrow blade and two edges
- instance: Excalibur = the legendary sword of King Arthur
- blade = the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge
- foible = the weaker part of a sword's blade from the forte to the tip
- forte = the stronger part of a sword blade between the hilt and the foible
- helve / haft = the handle of a weapon or tool
- hilt = the handle of a sword or dagger
- point / peak / tip = a V shape
Alternative definition of the noun sword
- [weaponry] A long-bladed weapon having a handle and sometimes a hilt and designed to stab, cut or slash.
- Someone paid to handle a sword.
- [context: tarot] A suit in the minor arcana in tarot.
- [context: tarot] A card of this suit.
- Sword: A sword is a blade weapon used primarily for cutting or thrusting. The precise definition of the term varies with the historical epoch or the geographical region under consideration. A sword in the most narrow sense consists of a straight blade with two edges and a hilt. However, in nearly every case, the term may also be used to refer to weapons with a single edge.
- also known as Kılıç (Silah), Zwaard (wapen), Sabie, Kardas, 劍
- Sword a.k.a. Feng-Li is a fictional character from the 1992 TV anime Tekkaman Blade.
- also known as Tekkaman Sword, Teknoman Sword, Catherine Ayana, Hun Rii
"Sword" is a 1963 short-story novel written by Yukio Mishima.
- also known as Ken
- language: Japanese Language
"Sword" is a film, directed by Kim Si-Hyeon.
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- genres: Action Film, East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (45 years ago)
- "Sword" is a musical single of Kozilek.
- released on
- "Sword" is a musical album of ValSans.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Sword" is a musical album of Xhin.
- released on
- Sword is a Canadian heavy metal band that was active in the 1980s and just announced a reunion for 2011.
- genre: Heavy metal
- albums: "Metalized", "Sweet Dreams", "The Best of Sword"
- Sword is a musical group.
- album: "Lord by Fire"
- Sword was a music group based in the Netherlands.
- album: "I've Been Trying"
- SWORD is an interoperability standard that allows digital repositories to accept the deposit of content from multiple sources in different formats via a standardized protocol. In the same way that the HTTP protocol allows any web browser to talk to any web server, so SWORD allows clients to talk to repository servers. SWORD is a profile of the Atom Publishing Protocol, but restricts itself solely to the scope of depositing resources into scholarly systems.
- Sword: The creator of The Sword is unknown. The character first appeared in Captain Courageous Comics # 6.
Phrases with Sword
Phrases starting with the word Sword:
- sword arm
- sword bean
- sword cane
- sword fern
- sword hand
- sword knot
- sword lily
- sword dance
- sword grass
- sword stick
Phrases ending with the word Sword:
View more phrases with the word Sword in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sword
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Benjamin KEACH
A Sword is a keen, sharp, piercing weapon; it will enter into the body and pierce the very heart of a man.
A Sword is an honourable weapon, and of great antiquity; it hath been in use from the beginning, a weapon that no enemy hath any just ...
Freedom's Sword (2005)
The NAACP and the Struggle Against Racism in America, 1909-1969 by Gilbert Jonas
Freedom's Sword is the first history to detail the remarkable, lasting achievements of the NAACP's first sixty years.
by Paul Harvey, Philip Goff
The sword is the pride of man; arsenals, military bases, nuclear weapons lend supremacy to nations. War is the climax of ingenuity, the object of supreme dedication. Men slaughtering each other, cities battered into ruins: such insanity has ...
The Pius War (2010)
Responses to the Critics of Pius XII by David G. Dalin, Joseph Bottum
Constantine's Sword is a six-hundred-page indictment of the Church for its attitudes toward and treatment of the Jews, deploying historical information to support its accusations. It is an effort not to understand but to use history to advance a ...
GTropología: a key to open Scripture metaphors [by B. Keach and T. Delaune. 3 vols. Vol.1, 2 want the title-leaves and are otherwise imperf. Vol.3 is entitled GTroposhymalogía [sic] by B.K.]. revised. By B. Keach (1858)
by Benjamin Keach
A Sword is a keen, sharp, III. " The Word of God is sharper than any piercing weapon ; it will enter into Sword," Heb. iv. 12.
A Sword is an honourable IV. The Word of God is an honourable wea- weapon, and of great antiquity ; it pon, our ...
by Nick Evangelista
BULLFIGHTING Because the buckler was employed only in conjunction with a "cutting" sword, it fell into disuse when the newfangled rapier, with its thrusting blade, replaced the sword as the weapon of choice in Europe. (The buckler was ...
by Douglas Q. Adams
Sword a. Flint knife from Sredny Slog culture; b. Flint dagger from Yamna culture; c. Bronze dagger of Usatovo culture; d. Bronze dagger of Yamna culture; e. Copper "sword" from Klady, Maykop culture (63.5 cm); f. Late Bronze Age ...
A Dictionary of Symbols (2013)
by J. E. Cirlot
Thus, the bolas of South American Indians and gauchos, and the sling, have associations with the air; the spear, with earth; the sword, with fire; the trident, with the watery deeps (41). Further connotations follow on from certain groupings of ...
D-Day Encyclopedia (2014)
Everything You Want to Know About the Normandy Invasion by Barrett Tillman
Sword was assaulted by the British Third Division, with attached units of British and French commandos plus the Twenty-seventh Armored Brigade. The First Special Service Force, under Brigadier Lovat, was piped ashore by Lovat's personal ...
The Military Encyclopaedia (1853)
A Technical, Biographical, and Historical Dictionary, Referring Exclusively to the Military Sciences, the Memoirs of Distinguished Soldiers, and the Narratives of Remarkable Battles by Joachim Hayward Stocqueler
The thin-bladed narrow sword of the moderns was utterly unknown, though the swords of the cavalry were pro- portionably long. The distinction between ancient and more recent swords seems to have been the addition of a guard for the ...
The small sword is fo.' pointing only, which is of all attacks the most effective, since in fencing the point is made with the full force of the arm reinforced when lunging by the weight of the entire body; a combination impossible in the "cut," which ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sword
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sword
Click on an item to view that photo:
The lower half of Francisco de Miranda, Fitzroy Square, London.
Photo credit: Dun.can
Photo credit: cocoate.com
Photo credit: AlishaV
Sword sculpture celebrate the Welsh princes by llyn Padarn in Llanberis.
Photo credit: ohefin
Photo credit: fschnell
- Sword Traning
Photo credit: Lastwear
- Sword laying
Photo credit: Tostito Verde
- Sword detail
Photo credit: Tostito Verde
- Old sword
Photo credit: Leo-setä
- Girl with a sword
Girl using a vending machine with sword at hand
Photo credit: henribergius
- Medusa & Sword
Photo credit: Adam Crownoble
- Cosplay with sword
Photo credit: illustir
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sword
Click on an item to play that video:
- Love Everybody - Love everybody but never sell your sword meaning
- Sword of Damocles Meaning
Video shows what sword of Damocles means. A thing or situation which causes a prolonged state of impending doom or misfortune.. Sword of Damocles ...
- Sword Meaning
Video shows what sword means. A long-bladed weapon having a handle and sometimes a hilt and designed to stab, hew, or slice.. Someone paid to handle a ...
- Fitz Fitness - Wooden Sword 100 rep Combo #1 -explanation
The 50 or 100 reps of Combination #1 works your focus and endurance. The goal is to do the 50 or 100 reps nonstop. If you drop the sword, stop and start over.
- Ozelot sword Meaning
Video shows what ozelot sword means. A decorative plant that is a hybrid of the genus .. Ozelot sword Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- The Meaning of Each Tarot Card : All About the Coin & Sword Tarot Cards
Learn about the coin and sword tarot cards in this free tarot card reading and deck history video clip. Expert: Marybeth Murphy Bio: Marybeth has been intuitively ...
- Shadow of the Colossus sword jump to the head explanation
This video shows how to get to the head of the 3rd Colossus in about 30 seconds. The hard time attack mode is pretty much impossible without a good sword ...
- Literal meaning: The sultan's sword is long.
- Sword hand Meaning
Video shows what sword hand means. The hand in which one's sword is normally held.. sword hand synonyms: weapon hand. Sword hand Meaning. How to ...
- Sword and sandal Meaning
Video shows what sword and sandal means. A genre of books or films relating fantasy-adventure tales involving heroic exploits in ancient or biblical times.
- Diamond Sword Vlogs - Ep. 4 - Explanation
- Channel Explanation, Skyward Sword hype
- A sword is sharpened / check description box
See also the pronunciation examples of Sword!
Quotes about Sword
Scrabble value of S1W4O1R1D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SWORD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sword!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sword to see it in context!