On this page:
- Definition of the noun tailgate
- Definition of the verb tailgate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tailgate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tailgate
- Photos about Tailgate
- Video language resources about Tailgate
- Scrabble value of T1A1I1L1G2A1T1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tailgate
What does tailgate mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tailgates
- a gate at the rear of a vehicle; can be lowered for loading
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of tailgate: tailboard
- more generic word: gate = a movable barrier in a fence or wall
- part of: beach waggon / beach wagon / estate car / station waggon / station wagon / waggon / wagon = a car that has a long body and rear door with space behind rear seat; motortruck / truck = an automotive vehicle suitable for hauling
Alternative definition of the noun tailgate
- A hinged board or hatch at the rear of a vehicle that can be lowered for loading and unloading; a tailboard.
- [British] The hinged rear door of a hatchback.
- Either of the downstream gates in a canal lock. [rfex]
Definition of the verb tailgate
What does tailgate mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tailgated | tailgating | tailgates
- follow at a dangerously close distance
Alternative definition of the verb tailgate
- [automotive] To drive dangerously close behind another vehicle
- To follow another person through access control on their access, rather than on one’s own credentials. Especially when entering a door controlled by a card reader.
- [finance] [qualifier, of a broker] To privately purchase or sell a security immediately after trading in the same security for a client.
tailGate is a musical group.
- also known as Tailgate, TailGate, tail-gate, Tail Gate, tailgate
- album: "2005 demo"
Tailgate is a fictional character in the various Transformers universes.
- "Tailgate" is the first studio album by the American country music group Trailer Choir. It was released on July 6, 2010 via Show Dog-Universal Music. The album includes the single "Shakin' That Tailgate," as well as the songs "Rockin' the Beer Gut" and "Rollin' Through the Sunshine," previously released as singles from the trio's 2009 EP Off the Hillbilly Hook. The tracks "Off the Hillbilly Hook," "In My Next 5 Beers" and "Last Man Standing" were previously included on that EP as well.
- genre: Country
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Tailgate" is a musical single of Deathwish.
- released in (23 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tailgate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Out West (1903)
by Charles Fletcher Lummis
The Captain's Tailgate is the very last of ...
The tailgate is a thoroughly sound piece of hardwood. It is hinged to the rear bottom crosspiece by means of hangers. These are made of Y% by 34- inch iron. Eyebolts on the cross- piece are so placed as to allow a square-headed rod to go ...
The American Blacksmith (1913)
A Practical Journal of Blacksmithing and Wagonmaking
The tailgate is a thorbughly sound piece of hardwood. It is hinged to the rear bottom crosspiece by means of hangers. These are made of % by Minch iron. Eyebolts on the crosspiece are so placed as to allow a square-headed rod -to go ...
by Matt Loede
A proper tailgate is a great way to get your NFL Sunday at Heinz Field started.
Ultimate Visual Dictionary (2017)
door glass Left-hand quarter glass Window Tailgate support washerjet Heating element Rear window contact Tailgate ...
VolumeII: Performance and Production by John Shepherd
TIM WISE Tailgating The phrase ' tailgate trombone' most probably originated around 1910 in New Orleans, although elements of the style associated with the term had earlier origins, going back ...
by John Ayto, John Simpson
Taig tail-end Charlie tailgate tailor-made talent tank tankbuster tanked tanker tank town. Taig /teIg, ti:g/ noun Also Teague. offensive (In Northern Ireland) a Protestant name for a Catholic. 1971–. OBSERVER This week a new slogan appeared ...
by Grant Barrett
Paulagate, Peanutgate, Plame-gate, Pornogate, Prisongate, Pulitzergate, Quakergate, Rashogate, rategate, Reagangate, Rebel- gate, Rowland-Gate, Scrantongate, sewergate, Sexgate, Slaughter- gate, Stalkergate, Stockmangate, tailgate, ...
by the late Leonard Feather, Ira Gitler
more by Jimmy Harrison and Jack Teagarden than by the early tailgate style. CDs: Riv.; w. Lil Hardin Armstrong (Riv.); Richard M. Jones; F. Henderson (Class.). WYNTERS, GAIL (Nancy Gail Shivel), voc; b. Ashland, KY, 2/ 17/42.
The World's Encyclopedia of Wonders and Curiosities of Nature and Art, Science and Literature (1880)
Representing Anatomy, Physiology, Phrenology, Astronomy, Botany, Geology, Natural History, Ichthyology, Mythology, Ornithology, Meteorology, Mineralogy, Chemistry, Zoology, Entomology, Biography, Etc.; [etc., Etc.] by John Platts
Carolina Henrietta Tailgate. O God! whose mercies through the world abound, Whose power supports the King thy hand has crown'd, Waft o'er the main the Bride's transcendent charms, In safety to the Bridegroom's longing arms. Dorothea ...
Including All the Words in Common Use Defined So that They Can be Easily Understood by William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
until toll is paid; a tailgate ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1900)
by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
The two were picking near together, and throwing corn over the tailgate of the w on. E. gglatnm, The Graysons, mill. tail-grape (tal'grap), n. A plant of the anonaceous genus Artabotr s, which comprises sarmentose or climbin s rubs ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tailgate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tailgate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Crab Cakes and Leg of Lamb with Mustard Mint and Garlic
Photo credit: tedkerwin
Photo credit: David Reber's Hammer Photography
Photo by Shawna Pierson
Photo credit: susi.bsu
Photo credit: tedkerwin
Tailgate party prior to the USAFA Falcons vs. Colorado Statue University Rams.
Photo credit: CrashDavisDC
Photo credit: Butterbean Man
Photo credit: Ian Norman (Lonely Speck)
- TSF Tailgate
Photo credit: wjarrettc
- Tailgate Christmas Tree
Photo credit: slgckgc
- Volvo tailgate repair kit
Photo credit: eurosporttuning
- Filming Tailgate for TV
Photo credit: slgckgc
- NC A&T Drummers Enjoying the Tailgate Band
Photo credit: wjarrettc
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tailgate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tailgate Meaning
Video shows what tailgate means. A hinged board or hatch at the rear of a vehicle that can be lowered for loading and unloading; a tailboard.. The hinged rear ...
- Great Lakes Tailgate Co. - Explanation Video
- Vocabulary: Tailgate
- 2014 FORD F-350 TAILGATE ALUMINUM PANEL REMOVAL (PARDON THE LANGUAGE)
How to remove the aluminum panel from a newer Ford pickup tailgate.
View more videos about Tailgate party.
See also the pronunciation examples of Tailgate!
Scrabble value of T1A1I1L1G2A1T1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tailgate to see it in context!