Tall appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Send toast to ten tense stout saints' ten tall tents.
(by Raymond Weisling)
- Thomas Tattamus took two T's to tie two tots to two tall trees.
- Tell a tall tale of a tall tailed dog, that told Tim it tap a tall ale and thump the top of Tim's tomb.
Tall appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Tall eyewear reviver Rae we yell at.
- Did I draw Della too tall, Edward? I did?
- To lap up a tall eye, we now ask Cindarella "tip so hastily, man, or is Sir on amyl?": it’s a hospitaller ad Nick saw; one we yell at a pup a lot.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective tall and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective tall
- Definition of the noun tall
- Phrases with Tall
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tall
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tall
- Photos about Tall
- Video language resources about Tall
- Sign language
- Quotes about Tall
- Scrabble value of T1A1L1L1
- Share this page
The word tall is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective tall
What does tall mean as an attribute of a noun?
Tall is one of the top 100 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: taller | tallest
- great in vertical dimension; high in stature
- examples: tall people | tall buildings | tall trees | tall ships
- antonym: short
- similar: gangling / gangly / lanky / rangy; in height; leggy / long-legged / long-shanked; leggy / tall-growing; long; long-stalked / tall-stalked; stately / statuesque; tallish
- attribute: stature / height = the distance from head to foot
- see also: high; big / large
- lofty in style
- impressively difficult
- too improbable to admit of belief
Alternative definition of the adjective tall
- [obsolete] obsequious; obedient
- antonym: short
- [obsolete] seemly; suitable; fitting, becoming, comely; attractive, handsome
- [obsolete] bold; brave; courageous; valiant
- [archaic] fine; proper; admirable; great; excellent; being of more than average height
- [context: of a person] Having a vertical extent greater than the average. For example, somebody with a height of over 6 feet would generally be considered to be tall
- [context: of a building, etc.] Having its top a long way up; having a great vertical (and often greater than horizontal) extent; high
- [context: of a story] Hard to believe, such as a tall story or a tall tale
- [chiefly US, of a cup of coffee] A cup of coffee smaller than grande, usually 8 ounces
Definition of the noun tall
What does tall mean as a name of something?
- a garment size for a tall person
Tall is a defunct organization, record label.
Tall is a fictional character from the 2013 film It's Us.
"Tall" a.k.a. "Tall: Infinity" is a video game.
- also known as トールアンリミテッド, TALL∞
- developer: Techno Soleil Corporation
- genre: Strategy video game
"Tall" is an unreleased album by The Black Crowes. It was initially supposed to be the follow-up to The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. It was recorded in late 1993 and early 1994 at Conway Studios in Los Angeles. According to frayed.org there was at least one session prior to that of Conway Studios with an undisclosed location or time period. The recording sessions that took place at Conway Studios were discarded and the band regrouped at Sound City to record Amorica.
Phrases with Tall
- Tall Man
- tall oil
- Tall Reed
- Tall ship
- tall tale
- Tall Brake
- Tall Brome
- Tall Draba
- Tall Grama
- tall order
- Tall Poppy
- Tall Story
- Tall Blacks
- Tall Dodder
- Tall Fescue
- tall mallow
- Tall Nettle
- Tall Albizia
- Stand Tall
View more phrases with the word Tall in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tall
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Pemberton (F.R.S.L.)
Tall is an adjective. Taller is an adjective. Slower is an adjective. Slowest is an adjective. .Fas< is an adjective. Faster is an adjective. Fastest is an adjective. Quick is an adjective. Quicker is an adjective. Quickest is an ...
by Jeff Breitenstein
tall gears (also tall gearing), see STEEP GEARS tall T n. STREET ROD type based on any STOCK or near-STOCK-bodied ...
by Jan W. Gooch
Tall Oil, Distilled n Class of products ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tall
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tall
Click on an item to view that photo:
From the Roanoke Virginia Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
Photo credit: dbnunley
Photo credit: Unlisted Sightings
Photo credit: shioshvili
Photo credit: McAli333
- Tall guy
Photo credit: Dano
- Two seas tall
Photo credit: Belinda Novika
- One Tall Flower
Photo credit: Monkey Mash Button
- Tall Breezeway
Photo credit: PinkMoose
- Tall Fairy!
Photo credit: codepo8
- Tall bicycle
Photo credit: brianteutsch
- Tall chimneys
House on Strand Street near Paradise Row, Sandwich, Kent.
The texture is from plaster on an interior wall in Thomas Paine's house which is also in Sandwich.
Photo credit: Martin Cooper Ipswich
- Tall Thin House In Brittany
Is this the tallest thinnest house in France?
Photo credit: www.FranceHouseHunt.com
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tall
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tall Meaning
Video shows what tall means. Having a vertical extent greater than the average. For example, somebody with a height of over 6 feet would generally be ...
- Get Tall explanation for Breaststroke streamline
- Binding explanation for really tall journal from Journal Flip 3
- CTBUH 2008 Dubai Congress - Rashid, "Elegance, Stature & Meaning in Tall Building Design"
- Tall - English Vocabulary (Level 1)
- How tall are you Lesson 3 Vocabulary 720p
- ESL Song - "She's Tall" Describing People
Song to help ESL/EFL students learn adjectives for describing people.
- [ESL Song] She's tall
for ESL class This song is from English language Text book 2011 in Korean public shools Video size goes up to 1080p max.
- ESL SHE IS TALL describing people
ESL she is tall teacher Selma.
- TALL CASTLES | TIC TIC II Melbourne (CHECK DESCRIPTION BAR)
- Tall - Collocations - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Tall!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Tall
He was mostly leaping tall buildings in the beginning. There were cases where he would leap off a tall building or swoop down, and at that point he would look like he was flying, I suppose. It was just natural to draw him like that. (Joe Shuster)
more quotes about tall...
Scrabble value of T1A1L1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tall to see it in context!