On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tallboy
What does tallboy mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tallboys
- a tall chest of drawers divided into two sections and supported on four legs
Alternative definition of the noun tallboy
- A tall chest of drawers, or combination of chest on chest, or chest with a small wardrobe on top. Usually with low bracket feet but always resulting in a tall piece of furniture.
- [US] A tall can of beer, either 16 ounces or one half litre.
Tallboy is a fictional character from the 1953 film Escape by Night.
- The Tallboy or Bomb, Medium Capacity, 12,000 lb, was an earthquake bomb developed by the British aeronautical engineer Barnes Wallis and deployed by the RAF in 1944. At five long tons and carried by the Avro Lancaster, it was effective against hardened structures against which prior, smaller bombs had proven ineffective.
- also known as 高脚柜炸弹
- Tallboy: A tallboy is a piece of furniture incorporating a double chest of drawers and a wardrobe on top. A highboy is similar but consists of both upper and lower having drawers, many of which may not be doubled, and some of which were tripled. A lowboy is a table-height set of drawers designed to hold a clothes chest, which had been the predominant place one stored clothes for many centuries.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tallboy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Maurice Waite
tallboy n. Brit. a tall chest of drawers in two sections, one standing on the other. tallow /tal-loh/ n. a hard substance made from animal fat, used (especially in the past) in making candles and soap.
The Encyclopedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
contains three long and two short drawers, the tallboy has five , six, or seven long drawers, and two short ones. It is a very late 17th-century ...
by Mary Gilliatt
Called a tallboy in England, this eighteenth-century chest on legs, originally introduced in Holland during the reign of William and Mary, became very popular in America. It usually had cabriole legs, four or five drawers, and was capped by ...
Dictionary of Furniture (2013)
Third Edition by Charles Boyce
The former form foreshadowed the American HIGHBOY, while the latter became known as the TALLBOY.
by Elizabeth Jewell
tallboy. ~. tangible. ence upon; bribe. DO tam'per«er n. tam' per*proof adj. m 1 interfere, tinker, mess or fiddle or fool (about or around), monkey (around). tam* pon 'tampon/ n. plug of soft material used to absorb fluid, esp. blood. tan' /tan/ • n.
The Complete Guide to Paratroop, Commando, Ranger, SS, Marine and Other Elite Units by Michael E Haskew
tallboy bombs to finally sink the behemoth inTromso Fjord on 12 November 1944. Cameron ...
by Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard, Martin Pritchard (BEng (Hons), PhD.)
tall boy (tallboy) 1. A long, narrow ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tallboy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tallboy
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Tallboy
Video shows what tallboy means. A tall chest of drawers, or combination of chest on chest, or chest with a small wardrobe on top. Usually with low bracket feet ...
Scrabble value of T1A1L1L1B3O1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Tallboy to find many related words and phrases!