On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tare
What does tare mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tares
- an adjustment made for the weight of the packaging in order to determine the net weight of the goods
- any of several weedy vetches grown for forage
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic word: vetch = any of various climbing plants of the genus Vicia having pinnately compound leaves that terminate in tendrils and small variously colored flowers
- more specific terms: Vicia villosa / hairy vetch / hairy tare = European vetch much cultivated as forage and cover crops
- member of: genus Vicia / Vicia = widely distributed genus of annual or perennial and often climbing herbs
- weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Bromus temulentus / species Bromus temulentus / Craepalia temulenta / species Craepalia temulenta / Festuca temulenta / species Festuca temulenta / Loliola pratensis / species Loliola pratensis / Lolium aegyptiacum / species Lolium aegyptiacum / Lolium album / species Lolium album / Lolium annuum / species Lolium annuum / Lolium arvense / species Lolium arvense / Lolium arvense geniculatum / variety Lolium arvense geniculatum / Lolium arvense hostii / variety Lolium arvense hostii / Lolium arvense liniforme / variety Lolium arvense liniforme / Lolium arvense minus / variety Lolium arvense minus / Lolium arvense speciosum / variety Lolium arvense speciosum / Lolium asperum / species Lolium asperum / Lolium berteronianum / species Lolium berteronianum / Lolium cuneatum / species Lolium cuneatum / Lolium decipiens / species Lolium decipiens / Lolium giganteum / species Lolium giganteum / Lolium gracile / species Lolium gracile / Lolium gussonei / species Lolium gussonei / Lolium infelix / species Lolium infelix / Lolium longiglume / species Lolium longiglume / Lolium lucidum / species Lolium lucidum / Lolium maximum / species Lolium maximum / Lolium pseudolinicola / species Lolium pseudolinicola / Lolium remotum asperum / form Lolium remotum asperum / Lolium robustum / species Lolium robustum / Lolium speciosum / species Lolium speciosum / Lolium temulentum arvense / form Lolium temulentum arvense / Lolium temulentum macrochaeton / form Lolium temulentum macrochaeton / Lolium temulentum muticum / form Lolium temulentum muticum / subspecies Lolium temulentum arvense / Lolium temulentum cuneatum / subspecies Lolium temulentum cuneatum / Lolium temulentum gracile / subspecies Lolium temulentum gracile / Lolium temulentum speciosum / subspecies Lolium temulentum speciosum / variety Lolium temulentum arvense / Lolium temulentum leptochaeton / variety Lolium temulentum leptochaeton / variety Lolium temulentum macrochaeton / variety Lolium temulentum muticum / Lolium temulentum semiglabrum / variety Lolium temulentum semiglabrum / variety Lolium temulentum speciosum / Lolium temulentum temulentum / variety Lolium temulentum temulentum / Lolium triticoides / species Lolium triticoides / Lolium temulentum
- synonyms of tare: bearded darnel / cheat / darnel
- more generic terms: rye grass / ryegrass = any of several annual or perennial Eurasian grasses
- geographic area: North America, Oceania, South America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
- the weight of a motor vehicle, railroad car, or aircraft without its fuel or cargo
- (chemical analysis) a counterweight used in chemical analysis; consists of an empty container that counterbalances the weight of the container holding chemicals
Alternative definition of the noun tare
- [rare] A vetch, or the seed of a vetch.
- [rare] A damaging weed growing in fields of grain (with reference to Matthew 13:25: "But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way." The King James Version (Authorized))
- The empty weight of a container.
Specialised definition of the noun tare
Glossary of sports / martial arts / kendo
the padded apron that covers the hips and stomach (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb tare
What does tare mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tared | taring | tares
- [chiefly business, and, legal] To take into account the weight of the container, wrapping etc. in weighting merchandise.
- synonym: zero
- [sciences] To set a zero value on an instrument (usually a balance) that discounts the starting point.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for tare
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Home Trade by Frederick Hooper, James Graham (inspector to the West Riding County Council)
Tare is the weight of the bags, cases, cans, tyc. , in which goods are packed. Particular tare...
Arithmetic made easy (1897)
an arithmetical reference and solution book by J. B. F. Showalter
Tare is an allowance made for the weight of the bags, boxes, barrels, etc., containing the merchandise.
Legal Tare is the rate fixed by law upon each article so distinguished.
Being a Guide to the Operations Incidental to the Trade of the United Kingdom, with the Customary Documents and Correspondence. The Home Trade by Frederick Hooper, James Graham (inspector to the West Riding County Council.)
Tare is the weight of the case, cask, bag, wrapper, hoops, or other article in which the goods are packed or contained. Tare is calculated in...
Practical arithmetic (1858)
uniting the inductive with the synthetic mode of instruction. For schools and academies by James Bates Thomson
Tare is a deduction made from the weight of goods on account of the boxes, casks, or bags which contain them.
Actual tare is the exact weight of the boxes, casks, &c., and is ascertained by weighing...
Customary tare is an allowance for the supposed weight of boxes, casks, &c., and is established by custom. Average.
by Frederick Hooper
Tare is the weight of the case, cask, bag, wrapper, hoops, or other article in which the goods are packed or contained.
by Joseph A. Galbraith, Samuel Haughton
Tare is an allowance made for the box, bag, cask, &c., which contains the goods.
Logarithmick Arithmetick, containing a new and correct table of logarithms ... To which are added a number of astronomical tables, etc (1819)
TARE is the weight of the barrel, box, bag, or whatever contains the articles. TRETT is an allowance of 4 lb. in every 104 lb,
Logarithmick arithmetick (1818)
containing a new and correct table of logarithms of the natural numbers from 1 to 10,000, extended to seven places besides the index; and so contrived, that the logarithm may be easily found to any number between 1 and 10,000,000. Also an easy method of constructing a table of logarithms, together with their numerous and important uses in the more difficult parts of arithmetick. To which are added a number of astronomical tables ... and an easy method of calculating solar and lunar eclipses
Tare is the weight of the barrel, box, bag, or whatever contains the articles. Trett is an allowance of 4 lb. in every 104 lb. for...
Tare is an allowance made to the buyer for the weight of the box, barrel, or bag, &c. which contains the goods bought,
Elements of Arithmetic, translated ... and adapted to the use of American Schools. By Nathaniel Haynes (1824)
Tare is a certain allowance ...
Compiled from the Best Authors, and Intended to be the Text-book of the Course of Private Lectures on These Sciences in the University at Cambridge
Tare is an allowance, made to the buyer, for the weight of the box, barrel, or bag, &c. which contains the goods bought, and is either at so much per box, &c. at so much per cwt. or at so much in the gross weight. Trett is an allowance of 4lb. in ...
Elements of arithmetic (1824)
by Etienne Bézout
Tare is a certain allowance ...
by John DARBY (Teacher of Mathematics.)
Tare is an allowance made to the buyer for the weight of the box, barrel, bag, &c. which contains the goods,- and is generally...
The Tutor's Assistant, Being a Compendium of Arithmetic. ... To which is Added a Short Introduction to Algebra ... Third Edition (1855)
by G. W. MAHON
Tare is an allowance to the buyer for the weight of the package, and is either at so much per barrel, chest, &c., or at so...
TARE is the weight of the Package, or allowance made for it. TRET is an allowance of 4 lb. on every 104 lb. of Goods, on which there is a waste. CloFF is a farther allowance, generally of 2 lb. on every 3 Cwt, for the turn of the Scale, when the ...
by William Tinwell
Tare is an allowance made by the Crown, to the importer, or by the seller, to the buyer, for the weight of the chest, hogshead, barrel, or bag, in which the goods are packed. Tret is an allowance of 4ft. on 104ft., or an abatement of the 26th part of ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
tare, tear The tare is the allowance made for the weight of packing materials. Hence, if you want to find out how ...
by James Britten
tBindweed, Dill, Dother, Fitch, Lintels, Strangle- tare, Tare, Tur- fitch, Tar Grass, Tar Vetch, Thetch-grass (Wild), Tine-grnss, Tine Tare, Tine-weed, Titters. Vicia Orobus, DC. Bitter Vetch, Knapparts, Knipper-nut. Vicia sativa, L.
by J.J.S. WHARTON
These allowances, as they are termed, are distinguished by the epithets, draft, tare, tret, and cloff. - - Draft is a deduction from the original or gross weight of goods, and is subtracted before the tare is taken off. Tare is an allowance for the ...
Answering at Once the Purposes of Rhyming, Spelling, and Pronouncing. On a Plan Not Hitherto Attempted ... To which is Prefixed a Copious Introduction to the Various Uses of the Work ... and for the Purposes of Poetry is Added an Index of Allowable Rhymes by John Walker
Snare To snare “To in-snare' To pare To pre-pare' To cam-pare' To spare Spare Spare Rare Mood'sare Tare *Tare To...
A-aware/ To a-ware/ Un-a-ware' To be- ware' Hardware Szware Tare Sa'bre Por/te-bre F'bre Ombre A cre JWise/a-cre ...
TARE and TRETT. itt.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for tare
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about tare
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about tare
Video shows what tare means. A vetch, or the seed of a vetch.. A damaging weed growing in fields of grain.. tare pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of tare!
Quotes about tare
scream out your pain
yell out your anger
tare apart your tears
pain fills your body
anger fill your mind
letting it out with tears of blood
trying to leave the pain
but it will always be there
happness comes and goes
but pain stays forever (Sarah May)
more quotes about tare...
Scrabble value of T1A1R1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TARE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of tare!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of tare to find many related words and phrases!