The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun taste:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb taste:
Definition of Taste
What does Taste mean?
- the sensation that results when taste buds in the tongue and throat convey information about the chemical composition of a soluble stimulus
- examples: the candy left him with a bad taste | the melon had a delicious taste
- synonyms of taste: gustatory perception / gustatory sensation / taste perception / taste sensation
- more generic terms: aesthesis / esthesis / sensation / sense datum / sense experience / sense impression = an unelaborated elementary awareness of stimulation
- more specific words:
- sapidity / flavour / flavor / relish / savour / savor / smack / tang / nip = the taste experience when a savoury condiment is taken into the mouth
- sugariness / sweetness / sweet = the taste experience when sugar dissolves in the mouth
- sourness / tartness / sour = the taste experience when vinegar or lemon juice is taken into the mouth
- bitterness / bitter = the taste experience when quinine or coffee is taken into the mouth
- saltiness / salinity / salt = the taste experience when common salt is taken into the mouth
- astringence / astringency = a sharp astringent taste
- finish = the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue
- flatness = a deficiency in flavor
- mellowness = a taste (especially of fruit) that is ripe and of full flavor
- a strong liking
- delicate discrimination (especially of aesthetic values)
- examples: arrogance and lack of taste contributed to his rapid success | to ask at that particular time was the ultimate in bad taste
- synonyms of taste: appreciation / discernment / perceptiveness
- more generic words: discrimination / secernment = the cognitive process whereby two or more stimuli are distinguished
- more specific words:
- a brief experience of something
- examples: he got a taste of life on the wild side | she enjoyed her brief taste of independence
- more generic word: experience = an event as apprehended
- a small amount eaten or drunk
- example: take a taste--you'll like it
- synonym of taste: mouthful
- more generic terms: small indefinite amount / small indefinite quantity = an indefinite quantity that is below average size or magnitude
- more specific words:
- part of: helping / portion / serving = an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal
- the faculty of distinguishing sweet, sour, bitter, and salty properties in the mouth
- a kind of sensing; distinguishing substances by means of the taste buds
Taste is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
- have flavor; taste of something
- perceive by the sense of taste
- take a sample of
- have a distinctive or characteristic taste
- distinguish flavors
- more generic word: identify = consider to be equal or the same
- experience briefly
- One of the sensations produced by the tongue in response to certain chemicals.
- [countable, and, uncountable]: A person’s implicit set of preferences, especially esthetic, though also culinary, sartorial, etc.
- [uncountable, figuratively]: A small amount of experience with something that gives a sense of its quality as a whole.
Phrases with Taste
Phrases starting with the word Taste:
- taste bud
- taste cell
- taste tester
- taste property
- taste sensation
- taste perception
- Taste Like Chicken
- Taste of One's Own Medicine
Phrases ending with the word Taste:
- to taste
- change taste
- in good taste
- acquired taste
- sense of taste
- There's No Accounting For Taste
Other phrases containing the word Taste:
- Bad Taste in One's Mouth
- Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget
Taste a.k.a. Rory Gallagher: William Rory Gallagher, /ˈrɔriː ˈɡæləhər/ GAL-ə-hər; 2 March 1948 – 14 June 1995, was an Irish blues-rock multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and bandleader. Born in Ballyshannon, County Donegal, and raised in Cork, Gallagher recorded solo albums throughout the 1970s and 1980s, after forming the band Taste during the late 1960s. A talented guitarist known for his charismatic performances and dedication to his craft, Gallagher's albums have sold in excess of 30 million copies worldwide. Gallagher received a liver transplant in 1995, but died of complications later that year in London, England at the age of 47.
- also known as GALLAGHER Rory; Liam Rory Gallagher; Gallagher, Rory
- born on (66 years ago) in Ballyshannon, child of Daniel Gallagher and Monica Gallagher
- nationality: Republic of Ireland
- education: North Monastery
- profession: Musician, guitarist, singer, songwriter, bandleader, record producer, film score composer
- member of musical group Taste (Lead guitar) between and (5 years)
- died on (18 years ago) in London of cirrhosis
- buried in St Oliver's Cemetery
- genres: Blues-rock, Blues, Classic rock, Rock music, Rhythm and blues, Electric blues, Hard rock, Folk music, Skiffle, Jazz, Rock and roll
- albums: "Deuce", "Rory Gallagher", "LIVE! In Europe", "Blueprint", "Tattoo", "The Story So Far", "Against the Grain", "Calling Card", "Photo-Finish", "Top Priority", "Stage Struck", "Jinx", "Defender", "Fresh Evidence", "Edged in Blue", "A Blue Day for the Blues", "Etched in Blue", "BBC Sessions", "Forever", "Meeting With The G-Man", "Wheels Within Wheels", "Big Guns the Very Best Of", "Irish Tour", "G-Men Bootleg Series, Volume 1", "Take It Easy Baby", "Live beim ZMF 1993", "Rockpalast Wiesbaden 1979", "Live at Montreux", "The Essential", "Notes From San Francisco", "The Beat Club Sessions", "Original Album Classics", "Sinner... And Saint", "Last of the Independents", "Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher", "Let's Go To Work", "Message To Love", "Irish Tour 1974", "The Old Grey Whistle Test: Vol. 1", "At Rockpalast", "The Complete Rockpalast Collection", "Live At Cork Opera House", "Live In Cork", "Live At Rockpalast (5 Concerts 1976 - 1990)", "Shadow Play (5 Concerts 1976 - 1990)", "Live at The Montreux Festival 1975-94 / The Definitive Collection", "The Rory Gallagher Collection"
- filmography: "Rory Gallagher: Live in Cork"
- official website: www.rorygallagher.com
Taste was an Irish rock and blues band formed in 1966 that gained fame in large part because of their unique style, and the talent and charisma of the band's founder, songwriter and musician Rory Gallagher. The band, a power trio, also moved on to make history as one of the first three acts to perform on the televised studio program, Rockpalast, in Germany.
- also known as The Taste
- genres: Blues-rock, Rock music, Rhythm and blues
- albums: "On the Boards", "Live at the Isle of Wight", "Live Taste", "Live", "Taste First", "Taste", "The Best of Taste", "The Irish Werewolf", "Best of Taste", "Taste Live in Stockholm", "London Invasion"
- official website: www.taste.uk.com
There are other groups with Taste in their name, like One Taste, Private Taste, Expensive Taste, A Taste Of Honey.
Taste is a chain supermarket in Hong Kong owned by AS Watson, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hutchison Whampoa Limited. It began the first branch in Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong in 2004, but most of the branches are opened based on the re-decoration of Park'n Shop, Taste's sister company. Its main customers are middle-class families. Its retail products are similar to those in Park'n Shop and Great.
- official website: www.aswatson.com/eng/retail_fegm_221_taste.htm
"Taste" is a short story by Roald Dahl that was first published in the March 1945 issue of Ladies Home Journal. It later appeared in the 1953 collection Someone Like You.
- "Taste" is the first studio album by The Telescopes, released in 1989 on What Goes On. After What Goes On folded, the album was re-released in 1990 by Cheree, and later released in 2006 by Rev-Ola to include live versions of "There Is No Floor", “ Sadness Pale”, “Threadbare” and “Suicide”.
- released in (25 years ago)
- "Taste": Taste was the debut album by the Irish rock band of the same name, released in 1969.
- genre: Blues-rock
- released on (45 years ago)
Taste a.k.a. Taste Restaurant is a Venue, Building in Orlando.
- Taste as an aesthetic, sociological, economic and anthropological concept refers to a cultural patterns of choice and preference. While taste is often understood as a biological concept, it can also be reasonably studied as a social or cultural phenomenon. Taste is about drawing distinctions between things such as styles, manners, consumer goods and works of art. Social inquiry of taste is about the human ability to judge what is beautiful, good and proper.
- Taste is a cookery television program which first aired in the UK on Sky One in 2005. The show had 65 60-minute long episodes since October 2005 and is presented by Beverley Turner.
- begun on and completed on (8 years ago)
- 65 episodes of 60 minutes each
- country: United Kingdom
- genre: Cooking show
- official website: www.skyone.co.uk/programme/pgeoverview.aspx?pid=57
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Taste
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Edge-tools of speech (1899)
by Maturin Murray Ballou
Taste is the power of relishing or rejecting whatever is offered for the entertainment of the imagination. — Goldsmith.
The Eclectic Medical Journal (1858)
An tn- sipid taste is noticed in catarrh, in inflammation of the respiratory and gastric mucous membrane in worms, intermittent fever, and in consumption. A ( titer taste is a symptom of irritation or inflammation of the duodenum, and of most ...
Foods & Nutrition Encyclopedia, Two Volume Set (1993)
by Marion Eugene Ensminger, Audrey H. Ensminger
Name Flavor Characteristics Flavor Use Aconitic acid Winey-sour taste. Fruit flavors, rum, brandy. Ally! anthranilate Distinct Concord grape odor with long- lasting grape taste. Grape, pineapple, citrus. Ally! butyrate Fruity apple, pineapple odor ...
The Ayurveda Encyclopedia (2007)
Natural Secrets to Healing, Prevention, and Longevity by Swami Sadashiva Tirtha
needs to taste good or else it wont digest. If our minds ...
Encyclopedia of Obesity (2008)
by Kathleen Keller
The GusTATorY sYsTem utilizes taste receptors in the oral cavity to differentiate various stimuli through several neurological pathways. The gustatory system is also intricately linked to many of the physiological responses that control gastric ...
Encyclopedia of the Enlightenment (2013)
by Michel Delon
Taste. Tears Technical Instruction Technology Terror. Marmontel, and Voltaire, Berkeley: University of California Press, 1947 Conant, Martha Pike, The Oriental Tale in England in the Eighteenth Century, New York: Columbia University Press, ...
Encyclopaedia of Indian Medicine: Diseases and their cures (1985)
by Saligrama Krishna Ramachandra Rao
Salivation, bad taste in the mouth, vomiting, vertigo, and a sense of constriction in the abdomen, ( AHr) . Symptomatology: General: 1 . The food that is partaken gets converted into ama (or will be indigested or improperly digested) for many ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Taste
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Taste
Click on an item to view that photo:
100 words Taste
Photo credit: Jem Yoshioka
- TASTE OF IOWA CITY
TASTE OF IOWA CITY is an evening where all the restaurants serve small portions of their food outside in exchange for $1 tickets and people can go from place to place "tasting" different cuisine. Last night was a beautiful night for it, and the streets were packed. August 25, 2010
Photo credit: Alan Light
Videos about Taste
Click on an item to play that video:
- Creative Writing Vocabulary Lecture #5: Smell and Taste Words
- Taste the Air by Nitin Sawhney ft. Natty - Last Days Of Meaning
- Prolang - Taste Your Favourite Language
Language Tasting & Learning Like You've Never Experienced Before at...
- Coaching the consultant A Taste of Clean Language Best
- Kid Dances to bcap & ESL Radio at Taste Of DC
You should have seen the crowd that gathered to check this little homie breaking it down!
- On the Spot Language - Just a taste
- Taste the language
EU funded project that offers language courses through the theme of food and wine.
View more videos about bad taste, The Taste, and Taste Buds.
Quotes about Taste
Different taste in jokes is a great strain on the affections. (George Eliot)
more quotes about taste...
Scrabble value of T1A1S1T1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TASTE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Taste!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Taste to find many related words and phrases!