Tax appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- As quirky joke, chefs won’t pay devil magic zebra tax. (42 letters)
- The laze judge was very quick to pay tax money for the barn. (47 letters)
- Uphill jogging will tax pounding heart muscle very quickly; better to be lazy! (64 letters)
Tax appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- No, I tax even one vexation.
- Wonk centres nix a tax: insert neck now.
- "Delia, will I fix a taxi? Not to nix a tax I fill!" I wailed.
Usage statistics for the noun tax:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tax
- Definition of the verb tax
- Phrases with Tax
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tax
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tax
- Usage statistics about tax
- Photos about Tax
- Video language resources about Tax
- Sign language
- Quotes about Tax
- Scrabble value of T1A1X8
- Anagrams of TAX
- Share this page
Fun fact! In the 16th and 17th century, "buttock-mail" was the name of a tax once levied in Scotland on people who had sex out of wedlock.
The word tax is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tax
What does tax mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: taxes
- charge against a citizen's person or property or activity for the support of government
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of tax: revenue enhancement / taxation
- more generic word: levy = a charge imposed and collected
- more specific terms:
- single tax = a system of taxation in which a tax is levied on a single commodity
- income tax = a personal tax levied on annual income
- capital gains tax = a tax on capital gains
- capital levy = a tax on capital or property
- departure tax = a tax that is levied when you are departing a country by land or sea or air
- franchise tax = a tax that is imposed by states on corporations
- gift tax = a tax imposed on transfers of property by gift during the lifetime of the giver
- direct tax = a tax paid directly by the person or organization on whom it is levied
- indirect tax = a tax levied on goods or services rather than on persons or organizations
- capitation = a tax levied on the basis of a fixed amount per person
- progressive tax / graduated tax = any tax in which the rate increases as the amount subject to taxation increases
- proportional tax = any tax in which the rate is constant as the amount subject to taxation increases
- degressive tax = any tax in which the rate decreases as the amount subject to taxation increases
- rates = a local tax on property
- stamp duty / stamp tax = a tax collected by requiring a stamp to be purchased and attached
- pavage = a tax toward paving streets
- transfer tax = any tax levied on the passing of title to property
- special assessment = an additional tax levied on private property for public improvements that enhance the value of the property
Alternative definition of the noun tax
- Money paid to the government other than for transaction-specific goods and services.
- A burdensome demand.
Definition of the verb tax
What does tax mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: taxed | taxing | taxes
- levy a tax on
- examples: The State taxes alcohol heavily | Clothing is not taxed in our state
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] The phone company billed me [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] [Asset] The phone company billed me $10 [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] [Asset] for [Cause] The phone company billed me $10 for that phone call
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- more generic words: impose / levy = impose and collect
- more specific words:
- set or determine the amount of (a payment such as a fine)
- use to the limit
- make a charge against or accuse
Alternative definition of the verb tax
- [transitive] To impose and collect a tax from (a person).
- [transitive] To impose and collect a tax on (something).
- [transitive] To make excessive demands on.
Who is Tax?
Tax a.k.a. Nivaldo Alves Freitas Santos: Nivaldo "Tax" Alves Freitas Santos is a Cape Verdean footballer who plays for Associação Académica de Coimbra – O.A.F.
- read more about Nivaldo Alves Freitas Santos
Tax is a record label.
- Tax a.k.a. Tamki Language: Tamki is an Afro-Asiatic language spoken in central Chad.
- also known as Temki
- TAX a.k.a. The Virginia Department of Taxation is the state agency responsible for collecting taxes for the state of Virginia.
- read more about Virginia Department of Taxation
- Tax a.k.a. contactin 2 (axonal) is a gene.
- also known as transient axonal glycoprotein 1, transiently-expressed axonal glycoprotein, axonin-1 cell adhesion molecule, contactin 2 (transiently expressed), contactin 2
- Tax: A charge against a citizen's person or property or activity for the support of government.
Phrases with Tax
Phrases starting with the word Tax:
Phrases ending with the word Tax:
View more phrases with the word Tax in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tax
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Thomas T. Scambos, Thomas Freed
Summary and Conclusion The Truth about the Income Tax is that everything you have EVER been taught about it by your government is a lie! The Truth is that it does not exist to fund the operation of the government or to pay for its programs.
The Forum (1895)
Wells argues that if the income tax is an indirect tax it contravenes that clause in the Constitution which requires all duties, imposts and excises to be uniform. Is there any foundation for this ...
Federal Income Tax (2008)
Examples & Explanations by Joseph Bankman, Thomas D. Griffith, Katherine Pratt
The income tax is the largest source of revenue for the federal government.
The social security tax is a payroll tax levied on both employees and employers and is calculated as a percentage of salary income. Other sources of ...
A consumption tax is a more efficient instrument than a labour income tax, as it taxes not only workers, but also retirees and individuals of working age who live on social security. In both instances, however, current generations lose because of ...
by Attorney Richard C. DiMare
For the term tax is the genus, and includes: 1. Direct taxes; 2. Duties...
by James A Beverly, David Andrew Schultz
sales tax Sales taxes represent the largest single source of revenue for state and local governments, providing approximately 20 percent to total annual general revenue. Sales taxes in the United States are confined to the state and local level , ...
Being a Concise But Complete Alphabetical Presentation of the Present Common and Statute Law, Civil and Criminal of the Commonwealth Based on the Monumental Works of Dr. B. Minor, Etc.; with Forms by Samuel Need Hurst
DELINQUENT TAX SALES Definitions Taxes a lien enforceable by sale Listing, valuation, ana levy Relief...
by Cynthia Clark Northrup, Elaine C. Prange Turney
Traditionally, Congress based tariff rates on an ad valorem basis, meaning that the import tax equaled a percentage of the value of the asset. During the election of 1828, the tariff issue became politicized when woolen manufacturers ...
Encyclopedia of Louisiana (1999)
by Nancy Capace
First Use Tax Trust Fund Section 9. (A)(1) Creation. The First Use Tax Trust Fund is hereby created and established in the state treasury as a special and irrevocable trust fund for the deposit of the proceeds, and interest derived therefrom, ...
by J. Rostron, Robert Hardy-Pickering, Laura Tatham, Linda Wright
income tax A levy on income or profits administered under the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988, as amended. The tax is ...
Drugs in American Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law [3 volumes] (2014)
by Nancy E. Marion, Willard M. Oliver
During the whiskey rebellion of 1794 a government inspector is covered with tar as a protest against a new tax. (Bettmann/corbis). Mendelson, Jack. H., and Nancy K. Mello. 1985. Alcohol: Use and Abuse in America. Boston: Little, Brown and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tax
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about tax
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun tax:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tax:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tax:
Photos about Tax
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: minhhn
Tax- it's easily defined
Photo credit: Alan Cleaver
Photo credit: Phillip
Photo credit: hepp
Not in Kansas anymore...the Maritime Museum in Liverpool has a special exhibit on customs seizures, and this is at the entry way. The whole point of the exhibit seemed to be that you need to pay taxes. Now. Pay the taxes.
Photo credit: erikaow
- Tax accountant
She's reading tax reviews..
Photo credit: midom
- Tax Office M
Photo credit: Lennart Tange
- Tax March
Photo credit: Tom Hilton
- Swiss Motorway Tax
A prediction. Soon.
Photo credit: Arveed
- Tax March
Photo credit: Tom Hilton
- The tax robot
Photo credit: codepo8
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tax
Click on an item to play that video:
- Simple Deferred Tax Asset & Liability Explanation
- Tax Meaning
Video shows what tax means. Money paid to the government other than for transaction-specific goods and services.. A burdensome demand.. A task exacted ...
- Green tax Meaning
Video shows what green tax means. A fiscal policy in which a differential level of taxation is intended to promote ecologically sustainable activities via economic ...
- Property tax Meaning
Video shows what property tax means. An (usually) ad valorem tax charged on the basis of the fair market value of property. The scope of taxable property varies ...
- Tax Definition Of Ordinary Income
Save on Amazon using this link...
- Simple explanation of tax in Australia by a tax agent
Ever wondered how to work out your tax refund? Tax agent Romeo Caporaso of...
- Inheritance tax Meaning
Video shows what inheritance tax means. A tax based on the value of the property of a deceased person, and charged on the beneficiaries of the estate..
- Explanation of Tax Planning
In this episode Tehsin Aslam, CEO of Abacus Wills and Trusts UK & Middle East, will be explaining further on how to Tax Plan effectively Stay tuned for new ...
- Tax Tips & Advice : How to Meet the IRS Definition of a Dependent
There are five tests that someone needs to pass in order to be claimed as a dependent on any tax return and being a household member is one of them.
- The Expat Tax Dictionary -- US Expat Taxes Explained
- The New English Language Tax
PRESS RELEASE English Language Tax The Home Office has announced the proposal for the Government to introduce a new English Language Tax during ...
- Tax Language: John J. Bowman, Jr. Accountant
- Dollar tree 10 dollars( plus tax) spending spree (check description)
- The Tax Pro Advisor - MyUtahTax.Net - Description of services
- Tax Accountant Job Description
- ESL democracy native colony tax leadership
- A Description Of A Tax Consultant
View more videos about Tax law, Head tax, Poll tax, Tax form, Tax Hike, Tax lien, Death Tax, Sales tax, Carbon tax, excise tax, Hearth tax, Income tax, Jewish tax, Kosher tax, Tax credit, Stealth tax, nuisance tax, Tax Attorney, Tax collector, Ad valorem tax, Flatulence Tax, Tax Accounting, Corporation tax, Value Added Tax, Withholding tax, Capital gains tax, goods and services tax, and Deposit Interest Retention Tax.
Utah Tax Help American Sign Language
A example of free tax preparation in Utah for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Quotes about Tax
Scrabble value of T1A1X8
The value of this 3-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TAX
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Tax!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tax to see it in context!