On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun taxon
What does taxon mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: taxons
- animal or plant group having natural relations
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of taxon: taxonomic category / taxonomic group
- more generic term: biological group = a group of plants or animals
- more specific terms:
- Adapid group / Adapid = extinct small mostly diurnal lower primates that fed on leaves and fruit; abundant in North America and Europe 30 to 50 million years ago; their descendents probably include the lemurs
- Omomyid group / Omomyid = extinct tiny nocturnal lower primates that fed on fruit and insects; abundant in North America and Europe 30 to 50 million years ago; probably gave rise to the tarsiers
- kingdom = the highest taxonomic group into which organisms are grouped
- subkingdom = a taxonomic group comprising a major division of a kingdom
- variety = a taxonomic category consisting of members of a species that differ from others of the same species in minor but heritable characteristics
- phylum = the major taxonomic group of animals and plants
- subphylum = a taxonomic group ranking between a phylum and a class
- superphylum = a taxonomic group ranking between a phylum and below a class or subclass
- class = a taxonomic group containing one or more orders
- subclass = a taxonomic category below a class and above an order
- superclass = a taxonomic class below a phylum and above a class
- order = taxonomic group containing one or more families
- suborder = taxonomic group that is a subdivision of an order
- superorder = a taxonomic group ranking above an order and below a class or subclass
- family = a taxonomic group containing one or more genera
- superfamily = a taxonomic group ranking below an order but above a family
- subfamily = a taxonomic category below a family
- tribe = a taxonomic category between a genus and a subfamily
- genus = taxonomic group containing one or more species
- subgenus = taxonomic group between a genus and a species
- monotype = a taxonomic group with a single member
- species = taxonomic group whose members can interbreed
- subspecies / race = a taxonomic group that is a division of a species
- variant / strain / form / var. = a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
- type = the taxonomic group whose characteristics are used to define the next higher taxon
- group Pteridospermaphyta / group Pteridospermae / Pteridospermaphyta / Pteridospermae = used in some classification systems: a group of extinct fossil gymnosperms coextensive with the order Cycadofilicales
- group Centrospermae / Centrospermae = used in former classification systems
- group Amentiferae / Amentiferae = used in some classification systems for plants that bear catkins
- Phycomycetes group / Phycomycetes = a large and probably unnatural group of fungi and funguslike organisms comprising the Mastigomycota (including the Oomycetes) and Zygomycota subdivisions of the division Eumycota
Alternative definition of the noun taxon
- [taxonomy] Any of the taxonomic categories such as phylum or subspecies
- [taxonomy] A specific taxonomic category above superfamily and below infraorder; a parvorder
TAXON is an Aviation waypoint.
- Taxon is the bi-monthly journal of the International Association for Plant Taxonomy and is devoted to systematic and evolutionary biology with emphasis on plants and fungi.
- Taxon: Taxon/taxa documented to be year-round residents.
- Taxon: The full name of the lowest level taxon to which the organism has been identified in the most recent accepted determination, specified as precisely as possible, Common name or scientific names can be used but it must be explicitly linked to a published taxonomic nomenclature.
- Taxon that went extinct during this time period.
- Taxon: One or more organisms that belong to the same taxonomic unit.
Phrases with Taxon
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Taxon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Debate by Quentin Wheeler, Rudolf Meier
A family as a monophyletic taxon is a discovered unit of evolutionary history and no less important than the hypothesis of descent with modification that it corroborates. Monophyletic groups can give rise to nothing; they are units of history ...
General Zoology (2016)
Investigating the Animal World by Dennis Holley
A monophyletic taxon is a group of species whose members are related to one another through a unique history of common descent (with modification) from a common ancestor—a single evolutionary line resulting in a “single tribe” of animals.
A Practical Guide to Detecting and Identifying Filth in Foods by Alan Olsen
A zoological taxon is a group of animals that is sufficiently distinct to be worthy of being named and being ranked in a...
by Stephen Jackson, Colin Groves
Taxon is a synonym of Balaenoptera physalus (Linnaeus, 1758). See individual entry. Balaenoptera musculus Van Bénéden & Gervais, 1880, Fin Whales of the Class Mammalia (Order Artiodactyla, Family Balaenopteridae). Taxon is a ...
History of Insects (2002)
by Natalya V. Belayeva, A.P. Rasnitsyn
Metaphorically, a taxon is a cloud of characters ...
Clavicipitalean Fungi (2003)
Evolutionary Biology, Chemistry, Biocontrol And Cultural Impacts by James F. White Jr., Charles W. Bacon, Nigel L. Hywel-Jones, Joseph W. Spatafora
Therefore, the pattern of host specificity currently observed in a particular endoparasitic taxon is an evolutionary product of two components: maintenance of already established endoparasite-host connections (association by descent) and ...
The Freshwater Fish of Tropical Africa by C. Lévêque
A natural taxon is a group of organisms that is given a name resulting from analysis of evolutionary processes. It is the task of systematics to discover taxonomic patterns of diversity and to relate these patterns to underlying evolutionary ...
The Making of the Modern Conception of Art by Preben Mortensen
Species taxon refers to the actually living groups of animals or plants, existing at a particular place at a particular time. Species categories are theoretical products , made by biologists, and are a matter of definition. This does not mean that the ...
Genetic Linguistics (2005)
Essays on Theory and Method by Joseph Greenberg, William Croft
A taxon is a group defined by common historical descent. Here Greenberg develops the comments on genetic grouping and subgrouping described at the end of the preceding section of this introduction into a general approach to genetic ...
A taxon is 'Extinct' when there is no reasonable doubt that the last individual has died.
Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs (1997)
by Philip J. Currie, Kevin Padian
Hence it is a stem-based taxon, and Gauthier listed a series of synapomorphies that diagnosed it. However, some confusion has been generated in that it has also been regarded as a node-based taxon including ''Avialae and ...
by Bernard Wood
If it is someone's opinion that two or more named taxa actually denote the same taxon, they are subjective synonyms. Occasionally, however, two or more taxa are established on the same type specimen: and then the names given to them are ...
by Robert Lawrence Trask
taxon (plural taxa) (rarely also clade) A group of languages all of which are genetically more closely related to one ...
by Paul A. Rees
Seealso PHONOTAXIS taxon (taxa pl.) A group of organisms related bytheir evolutionary history, e.g. a SPECIES, GENUS, FAMILY (1), ORDER, CLASS, PHYLUM etc. Taxon Advisory Group (TAG) A group ofindividuals whoworktogether to ...
by Vivien Gornitz
Hence, the qualitative indicator assemblage technique is more restricted in its applicability than the qualitative indicator taxon approach. In general, it works quite well in the Quaternary but becomes increasingly less reliable in the Neogene.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Taxon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Taxon
Click on an item to view that photo:
EOL Taxon Pages
Photo credit: EOL Learning and Education Group
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Taxon
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wastebasket taxon Meaning
Video shows what wastebasket taxon means. A taxon that exists only to classify organisms that do not fit anywhere else, being either paraphyletic or polyphyletic ...
- Taxon Meaning
Video shows what taxon means. Any of the taxonomic categories such as phylum or subspecies. For a full list of taxa, see under taxonomy. Taxon Meaning.
View more videos about Form taxon.
See also the pronunciation examples of Taxon!
Quotes about Taxon
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'taxon"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of T1A1X8O1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TAXON
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Taxon!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Taxon to see it in context!