Tease appears in the following tongue twister:
- The Knight said, "He's", with niceties, "some nights a tease or nice at ease on nice settees".
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tease:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tease
- Definition of the verb tease
- Phrases with Tease
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tease
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tease
- Photos about Tease
- Video about Tease
- Quotes about Tease
- Scrabble value of T1E1A1S1E1
- Anagrams of TEASE
- Share this page
The word tease is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tease
What does tease mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: teases
- someone given to teasing (as by mocking or stirring curiosity)
- a seductive woman who uses her sex appeal to exploit men
- the act of harassing someone playfully or maliciously (especially by ridicule); provoking someone with persistent annoyances
Alternative definition of the noun tease
- One who 'teases'.
- A single act of 'teasing'.
- A cock tease; an exotic dancer; a stripper.
Definition of the verb tease
What does tease mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: teased | teasing | teases
- annoy persistently
- examples: The children teased the boy because of his stammer | Sam cannot tease Sue
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- synonyms of tease: badger / beleaguer / bug / pester
- more generic words: bedevil / crucify / dun / frustrate / rag / torment = treat cruelly
- harass with persistent criticism or carping
- example: The children teased the new teacher
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of tease: bait / cod / rag / rally / razz / ride / tantalise / tantalize / taunt / twit
- more generic words: bemock / mock = treat with contempt
- more specific words:
- to arouse hope, desire, or curiosity without satisfying them
- example: The advertisement is intended to tease the customers
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- more generic terms: control / keep in line / manipulate = maintain influence over (others or oneself) skillfully, usually to one's advantage
- entailments: arouse / excite / sex / turn on / wind up = stimulate sexually; disappoint / let down = fail to meet the hopes or expectations of
- tear into pieces
- raise the nap of (fabrics)
- disentangle and raise the fibers of
- separate the fibers of
- mock or make fun of playfully
- ruffle (one's hair) by combing the ends towards the scalp, for a full effect
- example: They tease their hair
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Celia brushed her hair | Celia brushed the baby's hair | Marlene dressed the baby | Sheila groomed the horse | The hygienist flossed my teeth
Verbs of Grooming and Bodily Care (with the same syntax): bob, braid, brush, clip, coldcream, comb, condition, crimp, crop, curl, cut, dye, file, gel, henna, highlight, lather, manicure, paint, part, perm, plait, pluck, powder, rinse, rouge, set, shampoo, soap, style, talc, towel, trim, wave, wax.
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of tease: fluff
- more generic terms: comb / comb out / disentangle = smoothen and neaten with or as with a comb
Alternative definition of the verb tease
- To separate the fibres of a fibrous material
- To comb (originally with teasels) so that the fibres all lie in one direction
- To back-comb
- To poke fun at.
- To provoke or disturb by annoying remarks and other annoyances.
- To entice, to tempt.
- "Tease" is a film, directed by Dennis Berry.
- "Tease" a.k.a. "Tease!" is a film, directed by Scott Galbraith.
- starring: Denise Druce
- genre: Instructional
- released in (9 years ago)
"Tease" is a musical EP of Blonde on Blonde.
- released in (6 years ago)
Tease: Actress Lisa Rinna is the host of Oxygen Network's Tease, airing since 2007. Known to television audiences from her starring roles on Dancing with the Stars, Soap Talk, Melrose Place and Days of our Lives, Emmy-nominated Rinna is also recognizable for her signature layered hairstyle. Each Tease episode features two up-and-coming hair stylists as they face-off in an exciting Olympics-style tournament.
- begun in (8 years ago)
- country: United States of America
Phrases with Tease
Phrases starting with the word Tease:
Phrases ending with the word Tease:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tease
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Valleys of Tyrolia (2013)
Their Traditions and Customs and how to visit them by Rachel Harriette Busk
Le Tease is the last Til-clean village of the valley, and the seat of the' Austrian custom-house against Italy. On the other side of this frontier is the interesting Italian town of Primolano, whence there is an easier way into Primiero~thal than by ...
Synonyms Discriminated (1871)
A Complete Catalogue of Synonymous Words in the English Language, with Descriptions of Their Various Shades of Meaning, and Illustrations of Their Usages and Specialities by Charles John Smith
TEASE is the Saxon tesan, to pluck. We are annoyed by anything painful, provided the pain be not excessive ; and annoyance may be either physical or mental.
Private Bodies, Public Texts (2011)
Race, Gender, and a Cultural Bioethics by Karla FC Holloway
But the story's buried tease is that the mystery does not lie in where the elite boarding school might be, and that discovering its location will not explain the ...
The Promises You Keep (2012)
by Karen Marie Graham
Its tease is the faint moments of relief Hope that is an elusive shadow. Strength that is pretend. An emptiness that never seems filled for long. The weight of the world crushes. The proverbial one step forward and two steps back with no reward ...
A Television News Survival Guide by Robert Thompson, Cindy Malone
The tease is a long one here, with a lot of elements, a live reporter, the sports anchor, and the weather anchor, so it takes two minutes. The commercial break in this case is three minutes. Once you learn to read your station's rundown, you'll ...
Did You Get the Vibe? (2006)
by Kelly James-Enger
" "The tease is the best part about sex," said Connie. "But guys just think the ...
irritability/ir′itbil′itē/ [L, irritare, to tease], a condition of abnormal excitability or sensitivity. irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)[L, irritare, to tease; OFr, boel + Gk, syn, together, dromos, course], abnormally increased motility of the small and large ...
by Roy F. Baumeister, Kathleen D. Vohs
The same tease, it seems on the surface, acquires radically different meaning when delivered by superiors rather than peers or in formal as opposed to informal settings. Several studies have documented how the nature of the social context ...
by Cora Sylestine, Heather K. Hardy, Timothy Montler
tease to laugh ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tease
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tease
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jamesvg
Photo credit: lynch
Photo credit: Aaron Gustafson
Photo credit: bthai
Photo credit: ercwttmn
Sign on Rivington Street.
Photo credit: edenpictures
Who is the mysterious gnome ?
Photo credit: Mon Œil
Photo credit: smerikal
Photo credit: kodomut
on a wintry walk
Photo credit: jenny downing
Photo credit: Stewart Black
MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4
Fujifilm Gyomuyo 100
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
- Tease close
One good thing about you pervs; you know your place!
Photo credit: Rebecca's Reflex
- Spring Tease
Photo credit: katerha
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Tease
Steve Alpert-Explanation of kid tease song from childhood!
Quotes about Tease
When the snake is old, the frog will tease him.
more quotes about tease...
Scrabble value of T1E1A1S1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TEASE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tease!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tease to see it in context!