The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun technology:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun technology
- Phrases with Technology
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Technology
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Technology
- Photos about Technology
- Video language resources about Technology
- Sign language
- Quotes about Technology
- Scrabble value of T1E1C3H4N1O1L1O1G2Y4
- Share this page
The word technology and its family (technological, technologically) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun technology
What does technology mean as a name of something?
Technology is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: technologies
- the application of the knowledge and usage of tools (such as machines or utensils) and techniques to control one's environment
- example: the mastery of fire was a huge advance in human technology
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic terms: application / practical application = the act of bringing something to bear
- more specific terms:
- engineering = the practical application of technical and scientific knowledge to commerce or industry
- aeronautical engineering = the activity of designing and constructing aircraft
- automotive engineering / automotive technology = the activity of designing and constructing automobiles
- chemical engineering = the activity of applying chemistry to the solution of practical problems
- communications technology = the activity of designing and constructing and maintaining communication systems
- computer technology = the activity of designing and constructing and programming computers
- high technology / high tech = highly advanced technological development
- rail technology / railroading = the activity of designing and constructing and operating railroads
- the discipline dealing with the art or science of applying scientific knowledge to practical problems
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of technology: applied science / engineering / engineering science
- more generic terms: bailiwick / discipline / field / field of study / study / subject / subject area / subject field = a branch of knowledge
- more specific terms:
- aeronautical engineering = the branch of engineering science concerned with the design and construction of aircraft
- bionics = application of biological principles to the study and design of engineering systems
- bioengineering / biotechnology / ergonomics = the branch of engineering science in which biological science is used to study the relation between workers and their environments
- chemical engineering = the branch of engineering that is concerned with the design and construction and operation of the plants and machinery used in industrial chemical processes
- civil engineering = the branch of engineering concerned with the design and construction of such public works as dams or bridges
- electrical engineering / EE = the branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication
- computer science / computing = the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures
- architectural engineering = the branch of engineering that deals with the construction of buildings
- industrial engineering / industrial management = the branch of engineering that deals with the creation and management of systems that integrate people and materials and energy in productive ways
- information technology / IT = the branch of engineering that deals with the use of computers and telecommunications to retrieve and store and transmit information
- mechanical engineering = the branch of engineering that deals with the design and construction and operation of machinery
- nanotechnology = the branch of engineering that deals with things smaller than 100 nanometers
- nuclear engineering = the branch of engineering concerned with the design and construction and operation of nuclear reactors
- naval engineering = the branch of engineering that deals with the design and construction and operation of ships
- rocketry = the branch of engineering science that studies rocket design and operation
- machinery and equipment developed from engineering or other applied sciences
Alternative definition of the noun technology
- [uncountable] the study of or a collection of techniques.
- [countable] a particular technological concept
- the body of tools and other implements produced by a given society.
Technology is a Soviet-Russian synthpop band created by Leonid Velichkovsky, Andrey Kokhaev, Roman Ryabtsev, participants of group "Bioconstructor", in 1990.
- also known as Texnologia, Tehnologia
- Roman Ryabtsev (Vocals) since
- Vladimir Nechitaylo (Vocals) since
- Matvey Yudov (Backing Vocals) since
- Stas Veselov (Drums) since
- Leonid Velichkovski (Keyboard) between and (16 years)
- Andrey Kokhaev (Drums) between and (21 years)
- Alexey Savostin (Keyboard) between and (8 years)
- Valeriy Vasko (Keyboard) between and
- Maksim Velichkovsky (Keyboard)
- Viktor Burko (Vocals)
- Kirill Mikhaylov (Drums)
- genres: Alternative dance, Synthpop, New Wave
- albums: "Лучшие песни", "Мне не нужна информация", "Vsyo, chto ty khochesh", "Рано или поздно", "Это война", "Носитель идей", "Дайте огня", "Камни", "Нажми на кнопку", "Латекс", "Начальник Вселенной", "Дивный новый мир", "Brave New World"
- official website: www.tehnologia.info
Who is Technology?
Technology a.k.a. Christopher Tsagakis born July 27, 1979 is one of the founding members and current drummer for the band Rx Bandits. He is also a member of The Sound of Animals Fighting, with former bandmate Rich Balling. Chris has an electronic side project entitled "Technology." He is also a prolific painter. He sells his art on Etsy. His nickname is "C-Gak.
- read more about Christopher Tsagakis
- "Technology" is the first album of the Melodic death metal band Crimson Death. It was recorded in 2001, but due to financial problems of the record label it was released in 2004 by Mythic Metal Productions.
- genre: Melodic death metal
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Technology" a.k.a. "Technology / Neutron" is a musical single of Ed Rush & Nico.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Technology" is a composition.
- "Technology" is a composition.
- music by Sebastian Brandt
- "Technology" is a musical single of S 50.
- released in (27 years ago)
- "Technology" is a musical single of AUX 88.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Technology" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Technology" is a musical single of Sebastian Brandt.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Technology" is a musical album of Christopher Tsagakis.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Technology" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Technology" is a musical album of Embargo!.
- released in (14 years ago)
"Technology" a.k.a. "Imponderables" is a book by David Feldman.
- read more about Imponderables
"Technology" is an artwork by Nam June Paik.
Technology is a record label.
Technology is a job title.
Phrases with Technology
Phrases starting with the word Technology:
Phrases ending with the word Technology:
- Bulk Technology
- high technology
- rail technology
- Space Technology
- computer technology
- Proof of Technology
- automotive technology
- Educational technology
- information technology
- communications technology
- human language technology
- recombinant dna technology
- digital communications technology
- massachusetts institute of technology
- Information and communications technology
- national institute of standards and technology
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Technology
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Teaching with Educational Technology in the 21st Century: The Case of the Asia-Pacific Region (2005)
The Case of the Asia-Pacific Region by Inoue, Yukiko
It is important to rememberthat technology is a teaching tool, not a teacher, but it can aid learning and fair grading...
Leith - "Educational Technology is the application of scientific knowledge and learning and the conditions of learning to improve the...
Hadden - " Educational Technology is that branch of educational theory and practice concerned primarily with the design and use of...
A Sustainable Investment in the Future by Jan A. M. Graafmans, Vappu Taipale, Neil Charness
Technology is a result of social constructions all along. The radical...
The Gods and Technology (2006)
A Reading of Heidegger by Richard Rojcewicz
Modern technology is the current site of the mysterious interplay between beings and Being, between concealment and disconcealment. Today beings as such are nothing but technological beings, beings which present themselves as there to ...
by Donald P. Ely, Tj Plomp
Educational technology is a complex, integrated process involving people, procedures, ideas, devices, and organization, for analyzing problems and devising, implementing, evaluating, and managing solutions to those problems, involved in ...
STEM Project-Based Learning (2013)
An Integrated Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Approach by Robert M. Capraro, Mary Margaret Capraro, James R. Morgan
A functional definition is that, “technology is the making, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems or methods of...
by Nalini Junko Negi, Rich Furman
Technology is a tool, not a magic genie. It takes people to run it, define it, and use it. Social Work Practice Social work practice has yet to undergo the type of information technology–led change that other fields have found expedient. Law ...
Heidegger, Nietzsche and Marx by Arthur Kroker
The will to technology is the animating energy of twenty-first century politics and culture. Here breaking beyond the fetters of the nation- state, there dissolving the machinery of industrial production into virtual capitalism, now networking the ...
, Revised Edition by Nancy M.P. King
Decisive, or effective, technology is a phenomenon both recent and rare.
by Douglas E. Hansen
THE EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY TELECOMMUNICATIONS DICTIONARY with ACRONYMS These materials were developed under a grant awarded by the.
by Sin-Wai Chan
Introduction In recent decades, as a result of the rapid advances in computer science and other related disciplines, such as computational linguistics and terminology studies, translation technology has become a norm in translation practice, ...
Volume 32 - Supplement 17: Compiler Construction to Visualization and Quantification of Vortex-Dominated Flows by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY BACKGROUND Historically, instructional technology has involved three separate concepts: • The use of audiovisual equipment in instruction • The use of a systematic approach toward developing instruction ...
by David W. South
Source; Intel Technology Briefing. PentiumTM processor. ©I993 Intel Corp. Commonly Used Extensions 1 An extension is a file category created under DOS and OS/2. All programs and most data files use extensions. However, many word ...
Encyclopedia of Information Technology.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Technology
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Technology
Click on an item to view that photo:
Digital ID: 1153341. Juley, Peter A. -- Photographer. Date depicted: 1911
Source: New York Public Library Visual Materials / Lantern Slides / Research Library / Technology Division (more info)
Repository: The New York Public Library. New York Public Library Archives.
See more information about this image and others at NYPL Digital Gallery.
Photo credit: Caroline Davis2010
Photo credit: Hampton Roads Partnership
Taken at One Steel in Newcastle
Photo credit: Matthew Gain
Photo credit: akmusicalproductions
Richard took a picture of the beauty that surrounded us.
Photo credit: Mike Burns
Technology old and new.
Photo credit: brendahallowes
MIB no reserve [email protected]@K
Photo credit: videocrab
Photo credit: bjmcdonald
- Wind Technology
Photo credit: Legosz
- Blanket Technology
Computer Schematic liberally slapped around in Photoshop.
Photo credit: Barb Henry
- Technology choices
How best to scare off pests?
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Vintage Technology
Photo credit: cfaobam
- Speaking of obsolete technology
cassette: a compact case containing a length of magnetic tape that runs between two small reels: used for recording or playback in a tape recorder or cassette deck and by some small computer systems to store programs and data.
Photo credit: theilr
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Technology
Click on an item to play that video:
- English Vocabulary - Technology
ESL video - Technology...
- Technology vocabulary
- Meaning of Technology
- Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive Unboxing & Technology Explanation
SSHD is the future, and Seagate's implementation might not be what ends up being the most popular, but it's definitely cheaper than pure SSD, and it definitely ...
- 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 engine technology explanation
Yamaha introduces a new engine with the introduction of the 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1.This is the first production bike using inline 4 - crossplane crankshaft engine ...
- Micro Piezo technology explanation and animation - piezoelectric
Describes the energy saving piezoelectic printing technology.
- Groasis Technology explanation of capillary water transport system in the soil
Groasis BV is a Dutch company that sells the Waterboxx. Groasis wants to cause the reforestation of the 2 billion hectares wasteland, before 2050, with the ...
- Technology Explanation
- A.R.E. Technology Explanation Video
A.R.E. technology is a Yamaha original wood reforming technology. See the guitars with A.R.E. technology at ...
- Definition of Informaton Technology
Definition of Informaton Technology.
- LIFTER TECHNOLOGY: Demonstration & Explanation
Showing Lifter Technology in action. Provding basic information on how to construct, power and operate a Lifter, along with a brief explanation of Electrogravitic ...
- Technology Jargon Demystified P.1 | AARP TEK Talk
What technology terms bug you or has you mystified? PART 1. Presented by Jeff Cole with The Center For Digital Future in San Diego, CA. September 4th 2014.
- Matthew Roszak: Silkroad technology's "Meaning"
"Meaning" at work. Posted by Matthew Roszak. SilkRoad technology wants to help your company give more meaning to your employees. Learn more here: ...
- Visualization and Explanation of pCell Technology
pCells utilize a network of pWave radios transmitting signals that deliberately interfere with each other, combining to synthesize tiny pCells, each just one cm in ...
- Teaching Vocabulary through Technology
BPW 1.9, full edition available at...
- 2014 new Yamaha Blue Core Engine Technology (Thailand) explanation video
2014 new Yamaha Blue Core Engine Technology (Thailand) explanation video.
- Definition of Science and Technology
It is all about meaning of science and technology.
- Vocabulary Development Technology - TechnoTutor
TechnoTutor featured on 21st Century Television to discuss Vocabulary Development Technology.
- Madden 25 Next Gen Exclusive PS4 Gameplay - IGNITE Technology & Next Definition Visuals
Link to Madden 25 Next Definition Graphics -...
- MyKey: Technology Explanation & Blogger Review
Ford partnered with BlogHer to host the What Women Want Quality and Tech Event at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant. In this video, you'll hear a Ford safety ...
- PDK: Integrating Technology in ESL Classrooms
Professional Development Kit (PDK) was funded by the U.S Department of Education in collaboration with SRI, International, to create professional development ...
- Technology in the ESL/EFL Classroom
- Technology in ESL:EFL classrooms
This presentation outlines the pros and cons of using technology in the ESL/EFL classroom and also exposes teachers to new internet based technologies to ...
- Neveln ESL: Using Technology in the Classroom
An interview with Neveln Elementary School's ESL teachers about how they're using technology in the classroom.
- Engaging Literacy: Technology Tools in the ESL Classroom
Speaker : Jim Cummins Location: TESL, Toronto, ON Date: November, 2009 Video Editing by Bapujee Biswabandan.
- EcoBoost Technology -- Description
Ford Motor Company is introducing a new technology called EcoBoost that will deliver up to 20 percent better fuel economy on half a million Ford, Lincoln and ...
- Language Learning, Technology and Motivation - Ken Wilson, ELT Author and Trainer
What is essential when learning a new language? Perhaps, it's motivation, having curiosity and wanting to learn. Or is it being immersed in a culture where that ...
- Technology and Language
Gardner Campbell talks about connecting technology and language with his students.
- Critically Evaluating Technology for Language Teaching Purposes - Sneak Peek
This video presents an effective process with which to critically assess a technology for language teaching purposes. The process includes assessing the ...
- The use of Technology in Language Teaching
Language as a System-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
See also the pronunciation examples of Technology!
Click on an item to play that video:
- New technology helps the deaf shop with sign language
One of the most difficult tasks for deaf people is going out and shopping, but a new project starting in Carbon County makes things much easier for the deaf to ...
- The Drama Sign Language Mccid College of Technology
- DTV South African Sign Language Lessons - Technology
Watch and learn with this week's SASL lesson, and then tell us a bit about the technology you can't live without.
- Technology and Sign Language interpreting
Rita McDade presents her thoughts on Technology and Sign Language Interpreting. Rita uses BSL.
- Sign language technology app
Quotes about Technology
Scrabble value of T1E1C3H4N1O1L1O1G2Y4
The value of this 10-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Technology to see it in context!