The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tent
- Definition of the verb tent
- Phrases with Tent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tent
- Photos about Tent
- Video language resources about Tent
- Sign language
- Quotes about Tent
- Scrabble value of T1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of TENT
- Share this page
Tent is sometimes a misspelling of tenth.
The word tent is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tent
What does tent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tents
- a portable shelter (usually of canvas stretched over supporting poles and fastened to the ground with ropes and pegs)
- example: he pitched his tent near the creek
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of tent: collapsible shelter
- more generic word: shelter = a structure that provides privacy and protection from danger
- more specific terms:
- backpacking tent / pack tent = a tent that can be carried in a backpack
- bell tent = a bell-shaped tent
- cabana = a small tent used as a dressing room beside the sea or a swimming pool
- canvas tent / canvass / canvas = a tent made of canvas fabric
- cottage tent = a tent providing shelter for a family
- fly tent = a tent with a fly front
- lean-to tent = tent that is attached to the side of a building
- mountain tent = a lightweight tent with a floor
- pavilion / marquee = large and often sumptuous tent
- pop tent = a small tent that is easy to carry and quick to set up
- praetorium / pretorium = the tent of an ancient Roman general
- shelter tent / pup tent = a wedge-shaped tent
- pyramidal tent = a large tent shaped like a pyramid
- teepee / tepee / tipi = a Native American tent
- sealskin tent / tupek / tupik = tent that is an Eskimo summer dwelling
- two-man tent = a tent designed for occupancy by two persons
- umbrella tent = a small tent with a single supporting pole and radiating metal ribs
- part: guy cable / guy rope / guy wire / guy = a cable, wire, or rope that is used to brace something
- a web that resembles a tent or carpet
Alternative definition of the noun tent
- A pavilion or portable lodge consisting of skins, canvas, or some strong cloth, stretched and sustained by poles, used for sheltering persons from the weather.
- [archaic] The representation of a tent used as a bearing.
- [archaic] Attention; regard, care.
- [archaic] Intention; design.
- [medicine] A roll of lint or linen, or a conical or cylindrical piece of sponge or other absorbent, used chiefly to dilate a natural canal, to keep open the orifice of a wound, or to absorb discharges.
- [medicine] A probe for searching a wound.
- [archaic] A kind of wine of a deep red color, chiefly from Galicia or Malaga in Spain; called also tent wine, and tinta.
Specialised definition of the noun tent
Glossary of sports
a canvas shelter held up by poles and attached to the ground with pegs and ropes (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb tent
What does tent mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tented | tenting | tents
- live in or as if in a tent
Alternative definition of the verb tent
- [intransitive] To go camping.
- [cooking] To prop up aluminum foil in an inverted "V" (reminiscent of a pop-up tent) over food to reduce splatter, before putting it in the oven.
- [intransitive] To form into a tent-like shape.
- [archaic] To attend to; to heed; hence, to guard; to hinder.
- [medicine] To probe or to search with a tent; to keep open with a tent; as, to tent a wound. Used also figuratively.
Who is Tent?
Tent a.k.a. Jesbodin Pholdee is the son of Jesdaporn Pholdee.
- read more about Jesbodin Pholdee
Tent is a musical group.
- albums: "Do Something", "The Data Transfer Problem", "Excuso"
- official website: www.tentmusic.de
- "Tent" is an album by The Nits. It was released in 1979 by Columbia Records.
- genre: New Wave
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Tent" is a composition.
- music by Henk Hofstede
- Tent is a protocol for open, decentralized social networking. Tent users share content with apps and each other. Anyone can run a Tent server, or write an app or alternative server implementation that uses the Tent protocol. Users can take their content and relationships with them when they change or move servers. Tent supports extensible data types so developers can create new kinds of interaction. Tent is inspired by Project Xanadu.
- Tent a.k.a. Ger: This where Mongolians live.
Phrases with Tent
Phrases starting with the word Tent:
Phrases ending with the word Tent:
- to tent
- Big tent
- fly tent
- pop tent
- pup tent
- Beer Tent
- bell tent
- Mess Tent
- pack tent
- wall tent
- field tent
- canvas tent
- circus tent
- Oxygen tent
- sibley tent
View more phrases with the word Tent in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by HARMANN VOGEL
The tent is the invention of L. Herzog, in Bremen. The most essential part of the whole tent is the box necessary for the transport of apparatus and chemicals. The box is opened and four strong wooden legs are attached; on the top a folding ...
The American Language (1936)
An Inquiry Into the Development of English in the United States by Henry Louis Mencken
a fortune-teller's tent is a mit-joint, a photograph-gallery is a mug-joint, cheap prizes are slum or crap, a snake-eater or...
is a pad-room, that for clowns is Clown Alley, posters are paper, bouncers are pretty boys, the big tent is the rag, the ...
The Mishnaic System of Uncleanness: Its Context and History by Jacob Neusner
A tent is a handbreadth in height, breadth, and width, a measure taken for granted by the Houses. A primary aspect of the standard measurement concerns the ingress or egress of uncleanness. Corpse-uncleanness is conceived as a kind of ...
by Chris Goode
The 2person tent is a common choice even for single users because it provides the added flexibility to share when needed,
Standard 1Person Single Wall 4Season Tent is the most common choice for mountaineers seeking a 1person tent ...
Sports Medicine (2011)
Study Guide and Review for Boards by Jonathan T. Finnoff, DO, Mark A. Harrast, MD
Finish line: The finish line medical tent is the site where most medical care is rendered. It is also most often the...
Equipment: A 10' × 10' pop up tent is a very practical way to create an aid station on the course ...
Insight Guides: Peru (2015)
by Insight Guides
The beer tent is the favorite haunt of the motley brass band that adds an increasingly outoftune touch to the town's festivities. Sometimes it seems that the beer tent is the favorite stop for most of the other villagers, too. For that reason, the later ...
"How Goodly are Thy Tents" (2004)
Summer Camps as Jewish Socializing Experiences by Leonard Saxe
The tent is an apt image for our study of summer camps. It is an ancient structure, perhaps the oldest human architecture. The first...
The tent is a simple, primitive structure. Comprised of poles and a covering, its construction requires none of ...
Pearls of Wisdom, 1973 (1973)
On the Path of the Ascension by Elizabeth Clare Prophet
The tent is the focus of the Threefold Flame, the three focal points being spiritually interpreted as the threefold habitation of power, wisdom, and love — of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit — that is the gift of Life to every man and every woman.
by Walter Whiter
A tent, booth, Cub, the enclosure, the young animal is called that possesses it ; and the Kebban. (Ar.) A tent. Booby that resembles the animal; though it is applied peculiarly to the Sepenj. (Pers.) An lim. offspring of the Fox. It is extremely ...
by Robin Randall
Standard English TAP TEAR TEAR TENT THIEF THIMBLE THREAT TIE TOO TOWEL TOWER TRAFFIC TRAGEDY TRAP TRAVEL TREATMENT TRUCK TUBE TUNE TUNNEL TWIN TYPIST UGLY UNDERSTANDING UNIVERSE VALLEY ...
by G. Johannes Botterweck, Helmer Ringgren, Heinz-Josef Fabry
the tent of meeting (Ex. 33:11). Neither the ark nor Moses ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tent
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: TimothyDavidGreenfield
Photo credit: fotologic
The top of the tent that graduation was held under
Photo credit: Sarah Camp
Photo credit: PinkMoose
Photo credit: Mingo.nl
Photo credit: shrff
Photo credit: katsommers
A colourful tent in Zeeland, NL
Photo credit: Ambuj Saxena
Photo credit: kewl
Photo credit: kevingessner
- Classic wedding tent
Photo credit: county marquees
- Dusty Tent
A dusty tent.
Photo credit: Jayel Aheram
- Tent Buckle
Bournemouth Uni Ball
Photo credit: leventali
- Trashed Tent
Photo credit: rightee
- Tent Rocks
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
Photo credit: Vaquero Rey
- Tent Airing
Airing out a tent in a New York City apartment is always lulzy.
Photo credit: mlcastle
- Tent Stuff Sack
Photo credit: mikewhitman
- Tent Rocks
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
Photo credit: Vaquero Rey
- Stylish tent
Photo credit: monkeypuzzle
- Spider Tent
Photo credit: austinpaulwhite
View more pictures about Pup Tent.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Abraham's Tent: A Playfully Jewish Explanation of Why This Bible Hero Matters
Why was Abraham chosen to drop everything and lead the Israelites back in Bible times? Here's a playful set of answers based on historical rabbinic ...
- Tent Meaning
Video shows what tent means. A pavilion or portable lodge consisting of skins, canvas, or some strong cloth, stretched and sustained by poles, used for ...
- Folding Tent Explanation 1
- Fold one's tent Meaning
Video shows what fold one's tent means. To withdraw, especially in a discreet manner, to disengage, to quit.. Fold one's tent Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Slang Made gevonden; rust in de tent
Rust, dat is wat Luc van Hintum wil. De eigenaar van de ontsnapte cobra in Made heeft vermoeiende dagen achter de rug. Zaterdagochtend werd de giftige ...
- Tent camping Meaning
Video shows what tent camping means. Camping in tents, as an outdoor activity. Tent camping Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- What Is The Definition Of Tent, oxygen
- Explanation of tent...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tent repair kits
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tent for medical use
- Description of Coleman Prairie Breeze tent for reference
This tent is a good reference for a tent that has nearly vertical walls, is about 7 feet tall, yet does not require cords to stabilize it. The cords could be a tripping ...
- Reaction to Lubbock Tent Revival Language
A lot of controversy and publicity has surrounded the tent revival that's been happening at Leroy Elmore Park. Why is that? Well this video tackles that subject.
- Description and Feature Wenzel Alpine 8 5 X 8 Feet Dome Tent 2 2
- Hospital Tent description and showing patients in it narrated by Joel Schlessinger
Commentary by Dr. Joel Schlessinger on the conditions in the hospital tent 2 at the Hopital Sacre Coeur, Milot after the earthquake.
- Basic Tent Description
- Language Tent
- Avelyn Playing in her Tent and Speaking her Avelynian Language
- Language Tent azul
- Chris McCoy Protestors outside tent clean language
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Tent
It's better to have a thousand enemies outside of the tent than one inside the tent.
more quotes about tent...
Scrabble value of T1E1N1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tent to see it in context!