The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun terminus:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun terminus
- Phrases with Terminus
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Terminus
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Terminus
- Photos about Terminus
- Video language resources about Terminus
- Quotes about Terminus
- Scrabble value of T1E1R1M3I1N1U1S1
- Anagrams of TERMINUS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun terminus
What does terminus mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: termini / terminuses (less preferred form)
- a place where something ends or is complete
- the ultimate goal for which something is done
- (architecture) a statue or a human bust or an animal carved out of the top of a square pillar; originally used as a boundary marker in ancient Rome
- either end of a railroad or bus route
- station where transport vehicles load or unload passengers or goods
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of terminus: depot / terminal
- more generic word: station = a facility equipped with special equipment and personnel for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- airport terminal / air terminal = a terminal that serves air travelers or air freight
- coach station / bus terminal / bus station / bus depot = a terminal that serves bus passengers
- cathode = the positively charged terminal of a voltaic cell or storage battery that supplies current
- railroad terminal / railroad station / railway station / train station / train depot = terminal where trains load or unload passengers or goods
- subway station = a terminal where subways load and unload passengers
- part of: transit / transportation / transportation system = a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
- "Terminus" is a 1987 French-German science fiction film directed by Pierre-William Glenn.
- also known as Terminus - matka tulevaisuuteen, Terminus: Pera apo kathe orio
- countries: West Germany, France, Germany
- language: French
- producer: Anne François
- production design by Alain Challier
- written by Alain Gillot & Wallace Potts
- based on a story by Patrice Duvic
- Johnny Hallyday as Stump
- Karen Allen as Gus
- Jürgen Prochnow as Sir
- Jürgen Prochnow as Doctor
- Jürgen Prochnow as Yellow Truck's Driver
- Gabriel Damon as Mati
- Julie Glenn as Princess
- Dieter Schidor as Doctor's Assistant
- János Kulka as Man with Dark Glasses
- Dominique Valera as Major
- Jean-Luc Montama as Mercenary #1
- Ray Montama as Mercenary #2
- Bruno Ciarrochi as Mercenary #3
- David Jalil as Mercenary #4
- André Nocquet as Limo Driver
- Louise Vincent as Monster's Voice
- Mathieu Carrière as Doctor
- Howard Vernon as Monsieur
- cinematography by Jean-Claude Vicquery
- edited by Thierry Derocles
- music by David Cunningham
- costume design by Jacqueline Moreau
- genre: Science Fiction
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Terminus" is a 1961 British Transport Film documentary directed by John Schlesinger which presents a "fly-on-the-wall" look at an ordinary day at Waterloo Station in London. Along with most British Transport Films, it was produced by Edgar Anstey. It was nominated for a BAFTA Film Award for Best Documentary. Original music was by Ron Grainer.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Edgar Anstey
- written by John Schlesinger
- cinematography by Kenneth Higgins
- edited by Hugh Raggett
- music by Ron Grainer
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (54 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature (THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL NOMINATION. After the nominations were announced, it was discovered that this film was first released prior to the eligibility period, and the nomination was withdrawn.) nomination for Edgar Anstey
- "Terminus" is a 2007 short film written by Jason Cawood and Trevor Cawood and directed by Trevor Cawood.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Robin Hays
- executive producers: Trevor Cawood & Carlo Trulli
- written by Jason Cawood & Trevor Cawood
- cinematography by Trent Opaloch
- edited by Trevor Cawood
- music by Clinton Shorter
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Terminus" is a short film, directed by ANGEL RUIZ.
- country: United States of America
- released in
- "Terminus" is a 2010 short film directed by Maxime Roch-Goulet.
- country: Canada
- genre: Animation
- released in (5 years ago)
Phrases with Terminus
Phrases starting with the word Terminus:
Phrases ending with the word Terminus:
- Conus Terminus
- Baetis Terminus
- Anthrax Terminus
- Iotonchus Terminus
- Mycalesis Terminus
- Nigrobaetis Terminus
- Species Conus Terminus
- Trachelomonas Terminus
- Species Baetis Terminus
- Species Iotonchus Terminus
- Species Mycalesis Terminus
- Species Nigrobaetis Terminus
- Cacospongia Exemplum Terminus
- Species Trachelomonas Terminus
- Hesperotettix nevadensis terminus
- Cynopterus Titthaecheilus Terminus
View more phrases with the word Terminus in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Terminus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Meaning Scepticism (1991)
by Klaus Puhl
The key notion in the demythologized account of the interpretation terminus is that of practice.
Word and Idea in Aquinas by Bernard Lonergan
Thirdly, the first terminus of this drive is insight into phantasm; the second terminus is the critical understanding that necessitates judgment; the third terminus is the contemplative understanding that regards reality through intelligible truth.
Cross Harbor Freight Movement Project in Kings, Queens, Richmond Counties, New York, and Hudson, Union, Middlesex, Essex Counties, New Jersey (2004)
Environmental Impact Statement
The BQE's southern terminus is the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel ( BBT) ...
The Beowulf Reader (1994)
by Peter Stuart Baker
Our one secure terminus is the palaeogtaphic dating of the manuscript to around the year 1000. Attempts over the last century to show Norse influence on the language of Beowulf have produced interesting similarities, but "no proofs of ...
by Stephen Alter
But a great railway terminus is the point of origin and the point of return for travellers. Fromhere, trainsmove out inall directions and return here again. People set out from this place to everywhere; people come to this place from everywhere ...
The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet by Jamyang Norbu
The Frontier Mail Surely the Victoria Terminus is the most magnificent railway station in the world. It was opened five years ago on the happy occasion of our August Sovereign the Queen Empress's Golden Jubilee, and its splendour and ...
circular dichroism spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and molecular dynamics simulations suggested that a helical turn at the carboxy- terminus is the preferred conformational state of the alpha-13-mer peptide.
Seekers of Scenery (2004)
Travel Writing from Southern Appalachia, 1840-1900 by Kevin E. O'Donnell
The terminus is the Lookout Point Hotel, which appears to stand upon a bowlder suspended over the remainder of creation, as if a mountain rising out of a plain had thrust out a finger and men had put up a building on the finger-nail.
by J. Mensch
Its terminus is an understanding of the subject as non-worldly. Here, as We said in Our Introduction, the subject is conceived of as determinative, in the sense of an ...
by John W. De Gruchy
and its major terminus is the shell of the nucleus accumbens, in the ventral striatum, but it also projects to several other brain regions. Chemically, its command neurotransmitter is dopamine.
Encyclopedia of Nebraska (1999)
by Nancy Capace
Omaha became the eastern terminus and outfitting center for pioneers headed to the west to explore the California gold fields or settle available inexpensive land. As early as 1852, speculators and settlers began to gather in Council Bluffs, ...
A Dictionary of Law (1891)
Containing Definitions of the Terms and Phrases of American and English Jurisprudence, Ancient and Modern; Including the Principal Terms of International, Constitutional, and Commercial Law; with a Collection of Legal Maxims and Numerous Select Titles from the Civil Law and Other Foreign Systems by Henry Campbell Black
TERMINUS. of space or time.
Recall that in bacteria, there is a single replication origin, and that replication of the circular chromosome proceeds bidirectionally to a terminus that is situated transversely, at approximately 1801, from the origin. This replication process is ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Terminus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Terminus
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ojbyrne
The sun setting over the Monikie reservoir.
Photo credit: Neillwphoto
Photo credit: Kris Krug
Photo credit: wonderstory
Photo credit: notdavidbrooks
The Ferny Grove terminus at the Brisbane Tramway Museum.
Photo credit: Leonard J Matthews
An Arriva Trains Wales Class 142 Pacer DMU stands at Ninian Park, having just arrived with the 2Z16 1530 Barry Island, which had been diverted to, and terminated here, due to engineering works. The line ahead is the 'City Line' to Radyr, whilst diverging line on the right is a short spur to the South Wales Main Line.
Photo credit: Dai Lygad
Aka Island @ Kerama
Photo credit: keiyac
Photo credit: CoreForce
Photo credit: abdallahh
Photo credit: Esprit de sel
Photo credit: TimothyJ
Photo credit: Olivier Pasco
Photo credit: coffee shop soulja
- Victoria Terminus
Photo credit: rightee
- Gilfach Ddu terminus.
Photo credit: ohefin
- Victoria Terminus
Now, like everything else in Maharashtra, renamed after Chhatrapati Shivaji.
Photo credit: DarienGS
- Top Terminus
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Terminus Hotel
Photo credit: Gabriel White
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Terminus
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of 5' and 3', C terminus, and N terminus | MIT 7.01SC Fundamentals of Biology
Explanation of 5' and 3', C terminus, and N terminus Instructor: Sera Thornton View the complete course...
- Terminus Meaning
Video shows what Terminus means. was the god of boundaries and landmarks, focus of the important Roman festival of Terminalia. Terminus Meaning. How to ...
- Terminus Meaning
Video shows what terminus means. The end or final point of something.. The end point of a transportation system, or the town or city in which it is located.
- LiquidTLO[T] vs aAaNerchio[Z] G1 - Terminus - ESL - Ita
Primo match del best of three tra LiquidTLO e aAaNerchio, mappa: Terminus, torneo ESL. Chi passera` alla fase successiva? Link al Secondo match: ...
- #174 - EGDeMusliM(T) vs EGAxslav(P) - ESL Terminus SE - ESL Bo3 - Game 1.
Check more out for Kaelaris at...
- Adverb - Terminus (Advebial EP) [OR 008]
See also the pronunciation examples of Terminus!
Quotes about Terminus
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'terminus"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of T1E1R1M3I1N1U1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine