On this page:
- Definition of the noun tertiary
- Definition of the adjective tertiary
- Phrases with Tertiary
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tertiary
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tertiary
- Photos about Tertiary
- Video language resources about Tertiary
- Quotes about Tertiary
- Scrabble value of T1E1R1T1I1A1R1Y4
- Anagrams of TERTIARY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tertiary
What does tertiary mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- tertiary: tertiaries
- Tertiary: -
- from 63 million to 2 million years ago
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of Tertiary: Tertiary period
- instance of: geological period / period = a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed
- part of: Age of Mammals / Cenozoic / Cenozoic era = approximately the last 63 million years
- Pliocene epoch / Pliocene = from 13 million to 2 million years ago; growth of mountains; cooling of climate
- Miocene epoch / Miocene = from 25 million to 13 million years ago
- Oligocene epoch / Oligocene = from 40 million to 25 million years ago
- Eocene epoch / Eocene = from 58 million to 40 million years ago
- Paleocene epoch / Paleocene = from 63 million to 58 million years ago
Alternative definition of the noun tertiary
- [geology] The first part of the Cenozoic era when modern flora and mammals appeared
Definition of the adjective tertiary
What does tertiary mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position
Alternative definition of the adjective tertiary
- Of third rank or order; subsequent.
- [geology] Of or pertaining to the first part of the Cenozoic era when modern flora and mammals appeared
Tertiary is a term used in organic chemistry to classify various types of compounds or reactive intermediates.
Phrases with Tertiary
- Tertiary Amine
- Tertiary Butyl
- Tertiary Colour
- tertiary period
- Tertiary Sector
- Tertiary source
- Tertiary Alcohol
- Tertiary Industry
- tertiary syphilis
- Tertiary education
- Tertiary Phosphine
- Tertiary-Level Education
- Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tertiary
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Whiplash Encyclopedia (2006)
by Robert Ferrari
Because tertiary gain occurs in the setting of illness behavior, and because illness behavior is equally entwined with secondary and primary gain, to understand tertiary gain one must fully understand primary and secondary gain. Primary and ...
by Alireza Bahadori, Scott T. Smith
tertiary treatment is the treatment of wastewater beyond the secondary or biological stage; term normally implies the removal of nutrients, such as phosphorus and nitrogen, and a high percentage of suspended solids; term now being replaced ...
by Wilhelm Kirch
Tertiary. EVA GRILL1, JAN D. REINHARDT2,3, GEROLD STUCKI1,2,4 1 Institute for Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Ludwig Maximilians Universität, Munich, Germany 2 Swiss Paraplegic Research, Nottwil, Switzerland 3 Faculty of ...
Encyclopedia of Deserts (1999)
by Michael A. Mares, Oklahoma Museum of Natural History (Norman, Okla.)
TERTIARY are many species of flagellated microorganisms in termites, and they vary among termite species. Soldiers typically are larger in size than workers and have enlarged jaws or other defensive weaponry. Soldiers are usually darker in ...
by Gary McCulloch, David Crook
See also: giftedness; intelligence/intelligence tests; psychology of education STEVEN COWAN TERTIARY EDUCATION The term 'tertiary' derives from the division in many national contexts of the state educa- tion system into three principal ...
by Mehmet Odekon
Although tertiary education is moving away from an elite system toward massification, the level of world poverty still remains high, in spite of the notion that education is a tool for social mobility. Economic globalization, and even regionalization, ...
by Robin L. Cautin, Scott O. Lilienfeld
Tertiary prevention addresses the treatment and management of ongoing illness. In psychiatry, efforts to improve prognosis, prevent relapse, decrease disability and functional impairment, limit morbidity and mortality, and generally decrease ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tertiary
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tertiary
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Kent Schimke
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tertiary
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tertiary Meaning
Video shows what tertiary means. Of third rank or order; subsequent.. Possessing some quality in the third degree; having been subjected to the substitution of ...
- Tertiary Meaning
Video shows what Tertiary means. Of or pertaining to the first part of the Cenozoic era when modern flora and mammals appeared. Tertiary Meaning. How to ...
- Tertiary colour Meaning
Video shows what tertiary colour means. Any colour that results from the mixing of two secondary colours, or of a primary colour and an adjacent secondary ...
- Tertiary Insurance Definition : Insurance Questions
- Tertiary amine Meaning
Video shows what tertiary amine means. An amine, containing three radicals, of general formula R1R2R3-N; the radicals may be the same, different, or part of a ...
- Tertiary alcohol Meaning
Video shows what tertiary alcohol means. Any alcohol of general formula R3C-OH. Tertiary alcohol Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Tertiary source Meaning
Video shows what tertiary source means. A selection, distillation, summary or compilation of primary sources, secondary sources, or both.. Tertiary source ...
- Tertiary by definition - KevinFrown
- The Meaning is in the Use: Secondary and Tertiary Impacts of New Technologies
- Tertiary Language Education on the Rise
As the Illawarra continue to grow as a multicultural city, the desire to learn a second language is a skill highly regarded to tertiary students. The University of ...
- The role of the self-access centre in the tertiary language learning process
Morrison, B. (2008). The role of the self-access centre in the tertiary language learning process. System. 36/2. 123-140. Further details: ...
- 2012 Maori Language Commission Tertiary Award Winners
- Investigating Tertiary Students' Autonomy in Out-of-Class EFL Learning
See also the pronunciation examples of Tertiary!
Quotes about Tertiary
Scrabble value of T1E1R1T1I1A1R1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TERTIARY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tertiary!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tertiary to see it in context!