On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun thane
What does thane mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: thanes
- a feudal lord or baron
- a man ranking above an ordinary freeman and below a noble in Anglo-Saxon England (especially one who gave military service in exchange for land)
Alternative definition of the noun thane
- in Anglo-Saxon England, a man holding lands from the king, or from a superior in rank. There were two orders, the king's thanes, who attended the kings in their courts and held lands immediately of them, and the ordinary thanes, who were lords of manors and who had particular jurisdiction within their limits. After the Norman Conquest, this title was no longer used, and baron took its place.
- Thane is a city in Maharashtra, India, at the head of the Thane Creek. The name comes from corruption of its ancient name Shri Sthanak in Maharashtri Prakrit language, its earlier name based on a temple of Ganesha. Thane known as 'the city of lakes' and is the administrative headquarters of Thane district. On 16 April 1854, the G.I.P. Railway’s first train to run in India rolled out from "Boree Bunder" to "Thane", 34 kilometers away. This marked the dawn of the railway age in Asia. Thane covers an area of 147 km² and has a population of more than 1.8 million in its municipal limits, according to the 2011 census. Thane comes under Mumbai Metropolitan Region. The proximity to Mumbai has made it culturally a part of it.
- Thane is a neighborhood in the City and Borough of Juneau in the U.S. state of Alaska. Located along Gastineau Channel, it begins one mile south of downtown Juneau and consists of approximately two dozen houses spread over five miles. All the houses are located on Thane Road, which comes to a dead end about six miles from downtown; there are no side streets. It was named for Bartlett L. Thane, Manager and Director of the Alaska-Gastineau Mining Company.
- Thane is one of the 288 Vidhan Sabha constituencies of Maharashtra state in Western India.
There are other places with in their name, like Kalambe Turf Thane.
- Thane is a fictional character from the 2011 film In the Name of the King 2.
- Thane is a fictional character from the 1994 Film Doorways.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Thane
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
United States Coast Pilot (1917)
Alaska. Dixon Entrance to Yakutat Bay
Thane is the headquarters and mill of the Alaska-Gastineau Mining Co. located on the northeast side of Gastineau Channel 5 miles from Stephens Passage. There is a large wharf and warehouses, a general store, and a post office. Water can ...
Proceedings of a Program Conducted as Part of the 1959 Fall Conferences of the Building Research Institute Division of Engineering and Industrial Research by National Research Council (U.S.). Building Research Institute
It is normal for a concept to belong to more than one generic tree; dichlorodifluorome- thane is a narrower concept within several broad concepts, such as chlorinated hydrocarbons and fluorinated hydrocarbons. In turn, chlorinated ...
by Piers Dudgeon
Thane is a grand tradition of cultural societies, such as the Atriltaan society with its club night. Black Pepper. Islamic is also big - there are prayer rooms for Islamic students. Maybe that is the place to start. Organisation is what is required.
by Great Britain. Parliament
the privileges of the people into the scale ot the prerogative to govern the nation at pleasure without any control at all — So far, indeed, is the House of Commons from being a control upon the crown, thane is the great engine of its power.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* THANE, n.s. [tbegn, Saxon.] ...
a comprehensive reference book by Charles Morris
Thane Theater Thane (than), a title of honor among xuauc the Anglo-Saxons in England a freeman not noble was...
by John Jamieson
THE THANE, TIIAYNE, s. 1. A title of honour, used among the ancient Scots, which seems to have been at 6rst equivalent to Lat. comcs, as denoting presidency in a county, and sometimes in a province ; as well as the command of the forces, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Thane
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Thane
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Thane Condos
Photo credit: paulhami
- Thane city from Tiger Hill (Yeoor Hills)
Photo credit: Dinesh Valke
- Walking Thane Street
Photo credit: paulhami
- Thane Syverson
Thane Syverson, District Engineer for the BLM-Oregon Roseburg District served nine years in the U.S. Army as an Engineer Officer.
Photo credit: mypubliclands
- Thane Talao Pali
Photo credit: Advait Supnekar
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Thane
Click on an item to play that video:
- Thane Meaning
Video shows what thane means. A rank of nobility in pre-Norman England, roughly equivalent to baron.. thane pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Thane Meaning
Video shows what Thane means. A large city in India, in the state of Maharashtra.. Thane Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Thane: Agri poem on marathi Language day
- ESL learning English in Marathi. Spoken Class in Mumbai. Thane. Pune . Nashik. Latur .
Banking exam preparation in Marathi. Banking exam preparation in English.Railway exam preparation in Marathi.General knowledge questions and answers in ...
Scrabble value of T1H4A1N1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of THANE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Thane!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Thane to see it in context!