On this page:
- Definition of the noun thank
- Definition of the verb thank
- Phrases with thank
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for thank
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for thank
- Usage statistics about thank
- Photos about thank
- Video language resources about thank
- Sign language
- Quotes about thank
- Scrabble value of T1H4A1N1K5
- Anagrams of THANK
- Share this page
The word thank is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun thank
What does thank mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] An expression of appreciation; a thought.
Definition of the verb thank
What does thank mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: thanked | thanking | thanks
- express gratitude or show appreciation to
- examples: "Thank you for helping me." "Don't mention it." | Thank you very much! | I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you. | "Thank you." "You're welcome." | You ought to thank him. | You have Jim to thank for your failure. | I can't thank you enough. | I can't thank you enough for what you did for me. | Thank you for not smoking. | Thank you for your interest.
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - human] [Verb] [Theme] They praised the volunteers [Agent - human] [Verb] [Theme] [Predicate, small clause] I judged him to be a good man [Agent - human] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate] I judged him as a good man [Agent - human] [Verb] [Theme] for [Predicate] They praised the volunteers for their dedication [Agent - human] [Verb] [Theme, genitive] [Predicate] They praised the volunteer's dedication
Judgment Verbs (with the same syntax): abuse, acclaim, accurse, applaud, approve, assail, assault, attack, backbite, belittle, blame, blaspheme, bless, calumniate, castigate, celebrate, censure, chasten, chastise, chide, commend, compensate, compliment, condemn, condone, congratulate, criticize, curse, damn, decry, defame, denigrate, denounce, deprecate, deride, disparage, doubt, eulogize, excoriate, excuse, extol, fault, felicitate, forgive, gibe, glorify, greet, hail, herald, honor, impeach, imprecate, incriminate, indict, insult, lambaste, lampoon, laud, malign, mock, pardon, penalize, persecute, praise, prosecute, punish, rebuke, recommend, recompense, remunerate, repay, reprimand, reproach, reprove, repudiate, revile, reward, ridicule, salute, sanction, scold, scorn, shame, slander, snub, stigmatize, stultify, toast, upbraid, victimize, vilify, welcome.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of thank: give thanks
- more generic word: convey = make known
- more specific words: acknowledge / recognise / recognize = express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
"Thank" a.k.a. "Tank!" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- also known as THANK!
- music by Yoko Kanno
Thank a.k.a. tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 13b is a gene.
- also known as tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 20; TNF homolog that activates apoptosis; dendritic cell-derived TNF-like molecule; B-lymphocyte stimulator; tumor necrosis factor-like protein ZTNF4; DTL precursor; ApoL related ligand TALL-1; TNF and ApoL-related leukocyte expressed ligand 1; B-cell activating factor
Phrases with thank
Phrases starting with the word thank:
- Thank God
- thank you
- Thank Fuck
- Thank Heavens
- Thank Goodness
- thank offering
- Thank You Very Much
- Thank One's Lucky Stars
Other phrases containing the word thank:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for thank
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A compleat system of husbandry and gardening; or the gentleman's companion, in the business and pleasure of a country life. [The dedication is signed J. W., i.e. J. Worlidge. Fifth edition.] (1716)
by J. W.
'Thank is a common, Covering in most parts, 'yet is some to be preferred before others 2, the best that Ihave seen is that which is called Helm, that is, long and stiff Wheat-straw (with the Ears cut off) bound up in Bundles unbruised, which well ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for thank
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about thank
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb thank:
Photos about thank
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: walknboston
View more pictures about Thank You.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about thank
Click on an item to play that video:
View more videos about Thank You.
Click on an item to play that video:
- Basic Sign Language Phrases : Sign Language Phrases: Thank You
Sign the phrase '...
- Thank You, Thank You (Sign Language)
Learn songs and rhymes from Champaign Public Library storytimes to share with your child. For words to this song, click "Show more." THANK YOU, THANK ...
- Sign Language - Yes, No, Hello, Goodbye, Please, Thank You
Iksha teaches how to say the following in Sign Language: Yes No...
- THANK YOU in sign language (ASL)
- Baby Sign Language: Thank You
How to sign "thank you" in ASL.
Quotes about thank
Scrabble value of T1H4A1N1K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of THANK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of thank!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of thank to see it in context!