There appears in many tongue twisters:
- There was a minimum of cinnamon in the aluminum pan.
- There's a sandwich on the sand which was sent by a sane witch.
- There's horseradish sauce on this shot silk short-sleeved shirt.
(by Jenny Forbes)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the adverb there:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun there
- Definition of the adverb there
- Other definitions of there
- Phrases with There
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for There
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for There
- Photos about There
- Video language resources about There
- Sign language
- Quotes about There
- Scrabble value of T1H4E1R1E1
- Anagrams of THERE
- Share this page
Fun fact! If you replace the "W" in "When", "What" and "Where" with a "T", you answer the question.
Fun fact! "Therein" is a seven-letter word that contains thirteen words spelled using consecutive letters: the, he, her, er, here, I, there, ere, rein, re, in, therein, and herein.
The word there is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun there
What does there mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: theres
- a location other than here; that place
Alternative definition of the noun there
- That place.
- That status; that position.
Definition of the adverb there
What does there mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
There is the most common adverb. It is used mostly in speech, being the most common adverb in spoken English.
- in or at that place or location
- examples: they have lived there for years | it's not there | that man there
- antonym: here
- in that matter; in that respect; on that point
- example: I agree with you there
- to or toward that place; away from the speaker
Alternative definition of the adverb there
- [context: location] In a place or location (stated, implied or otherwise indicated) at some distance from the speaker (compare here).
- synonym: thither
- [figuratively] In that matter, relation, etc.; at that point, stage, etc., regarded as a distinct place.
- [context: location] To or into that place; thither.
- [obsolete] Where, there where, in which place.
- In existence or in this world; see pronoun section below.
Other definitions of there
What does there also mean?
- Used to offer encouragement or sympathy.
- Used to express victory or completion.
- [Used as an expletive subject of [term, be#Verb, be] in its sense of “exist”, with the semantic, usually indefinite subject being postponed or (occasionally) implied.]
- Used with other intransitive verbs of existence, in the same sense, or with other intransitive verbs, adding a sense of existence.
- Used with other verbs, when raised.
"There" is a 3D online virtual world created by Will Harvey and Jeffrey Ventrella. There Inc. was founded in the spring of 1998. Closed beta began in July 2001, with various stages of beta following, and ending with an October 2003 launch date. On March 9, 2010 - one week after the announcement of its closure on March 2, 2010 - There.com shut its doors to the public.
- mode: Multiplayer video game
- developer: Makena Technologies
- genre: Virtual world
- released on (12 years ago)
"There" is a 2009 Turkish drama film written, produced and directed by Hakkı Kurtuluş and Melik Saraçoğlu, which follows 24 hours in the life of a troubled family. The film, which went on nationwide general release across Turkey on December 25, 2009, has been screened at numerous international film festivals.
- also known as Orada
- country: Turkey
- language: Turkish Language
- directors: Hakkı Kurtuluş & Melik Saraçoğlu
- producers: Hakkı Kurtuluş & Melik Saraçoğlu
- art direction by Şakir Demirpehlivan
- written by Hakkı Kurtuluş & Melik Saraçoğlu
- cinematography by Eyüp Boz
- edited by Çiçek Kahraman
- music by Alper Maral
- genre: Drama
- released on (6 years ago)
- "There" is a musical album of High Wheel.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "There" is a musical album of I Was a Teenage Satan Worshipper.
- released on
- "There" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Dolly Parton
- "There" a.k.a. "There," is a musical EP of Kroffork.
- "There" is a musical album of Hieronymus Firebrain.
- "There" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Janne Joutsenniemi
- "There" is a composition.
There a.k.a. There.com: There.
- read more about There.com
Phrases with There
Phrases starting with the word There:
Phrases ending with the word There:
Other phrase containing the word There:
View more phrases with the word There in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for There
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William Nicholson
There are three species, viz. the hydrostatica, which is of an oval shape ; the rosacea, which ...
Lingua Tersancta: or, a ... compleat allegorick dictionary to the Holy Language of the Spirit, ... expounding and illustrating all the ... words or divine symbols in dream, vision, and apparition, etc. By W. F., Esq., Author of the New Jerusalem [i.e. William Freke]. (1703)
Student being there again, to a Doctor shew'd of blundering - to require it. Being of the Sciences,tofome shews of Chearfulness. Contemplation delighting in, fhew'd A. of the Mischief of neglecting Business. 1 Studying Gowns Men ...
There are piazzas and galleries running all round the court on the inside, so that you may go under cover from one apartment to another. The pillars are of brick, covered with glazed tiles, or of marble, with arches between. The timber work is ...
Encyclopedia of Evaluation (2004)
by Sandra Mathison
There must be stable career opportunities available for those in the profession and an association devoted to furthering the professional development of practitioners. The field of evaluation satisfies many of these criteria but not all. Although ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
There is a small proportion of arable land in the northern division of the county ; and not much in any other part, except the Chiltern districts, which are usually cultivated with wheat, barley, oats, beans, and sainfoin. In the neighbourhood of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for There
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about There
Click on an item to view that photo:
The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you
Photo credit: webmove
Photo credit: dibau_naum_h
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Photo credit: smbuckley23
Photo credit: Florence Ivy
Photo credit: Noam A.
Photo credit: dfuster74
Photo credit: iamchad
- Nearly There
Photo credit: It'sGreg
- Darkness there
Photo credit: Andreas Øverland
- There's always a Light
Photo credit: Marco Nürnberger
- There's something in the air
Photo credit: Rob Oo
- There's Always a Heron
Photo credit: George Grinsted
Photo credit: jens kuu
Photo credit: rbg777
- There must be a shot of the Eiffel Tower!
Photo credit: soomness
- Nearly there
Photo credit: Mountain/\Ash
Photo credit: luisar
Photo credit: Tostito Verde
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about There
Click on an item to play that video:
- Much Ado About Nothing - There's a double meaning in that
This is the scene from the "Much Ado About Nothing" movie by director Kenneth Branagh based on the Shakespearian play of the same name.
- Power Rangers RPM / Super Megaforce - There's a Simple Explanation for That
No love for the Green Rangers when there is an attack. In Power Rangers RPM, Dr. K (Olivia Tennet) gives positive reinforcements to the Rangers...until it is ...
- Gosei - "There's A Simple Explanation For That"
Power Rangers Super Megaforce - Super Megaforce Twitter...
- There's no place like home Meaning
Video shows what there's no place like home means. one feels the most comfortable at home. There's no place like home Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Celebrities Take Time Out To Give There Definition Of Hustle & Network
Hustle & Network Part 4 Celebrites Give There Personal Definition of Hustle & Network Shouts Out To Dj Ralow Smith For The Mix Down Text the word Tallboy ...
- Neely Fuller- There's No Legal Definition for the Word Justice
Neely Fuller explaining that there is no legal definition for the word justice. Mr Fuller's Talktainment Show: ...
- Verb there to be / parts of the house: English Language
- Verb there to be: Present Simple
- When Marnie Was There - Official Trailer (English language version)
WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE, out now on DVD and Blu-Ray!
- ESL: House/ Verb There To Be
- Sailing There, Cruising Across Europe and the Mediterranean-- Book description
Looking for a new adventure, Patricia Vellinga and her husband buy a boat-a big boat that turns out to be more a yacht kit than a yacht. Their simple plan is to ...
Click on an item to play that video:
- Let There Be Peace On Earth in Sign Language
This video was created to assist members of Singing Hands, a non profit, volunteer group of signers who perform for businesses, nursing homes, religious ...
- There is a Redeemer sign language
LTC competition 2011.
- Sign Language for Let There Be Peace
- "Were You There" Acapella Sign Language
Black history is surrounded by spirituals that tell of the constant trust in the Lord God's deliverance this is such a song, please enjoy! To reflect on the sacrifice ...
- "Let There Be Peace" in ASL (sign language) - a cappella
The River Oaks Chorus sings "Let There Be Peace on Earth" a cappella as it's performed in sign language.
Quotes about There
Where there are women there is talk, where there are geese there is keck, where there are tailors there are crabs, where there are carpenters, there are chips.
more quotes about there...
Scrabble value of T1H4E1R1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of THERE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of There!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of There to see it in context!