The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun threshold:
Definition of threshold
What does threshold mean?
- the starting point for a new state or experience
- the smallest detectable sensation
- synonym of threshold: limen
- more generic terms: aesthesis / esthesis / sensation / sense datum / sense experience / sense impression = an unelaborated elementary awareness of stimulation
- more specific terms:
- the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close
- synonyms of threshold: door / doorway / room access
- more generic words: entrance / entranceway / entree / entry / entryway = something that provides access
- more specific terms: exterior door / outside door = a doorway that allows entrance to or exit from a building
- part of: wall = an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness
- the sill of a door; a horizontal piece of wood or stone that forms the bottom of a doorway and offers support when passing through a doorway
- synonyms of threshold: doorsill / doorstep
- more generic word: sill = structural member consisting of a continuous horizontal timber forming the lowest member of a framework or supporting structure
- part of: door / doorway / room access = the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building
- a region marking a boundary
- The bottom-most part of a doorway that one crosses to enter; a sill.
- [context: by extension] An entrance
- The start of the landing area of a runway
- [engineering] The quantitative point at which an action is triggered, especially a lower limit
- The wage or salary at which income tax becomes due
- The outset of an action or project
- The point where one mentally or physically is vulnerable in response to provocation or to particular things in general. As in emotions, stress, or pain.
Phrases with threshold
Phrases starting with the word threshold:
- threshold gate
- threshold level
- threshold element
- threshold function
- threshold operation
Phrases ending with the word threshold:
- pain threshold
- absolute threshold
- difference threshold
- differential threshold
Threshold is a progressive metal band, formed in Surrey, UK in the late 1980s.
- also known as Treshold
- Mark Heaney between and
- Andrew McDermott between and (9 years)
- Karl Groom
- Richard West since
- Nick Midson until
- Johanne James since
- Steve Anderson since
- Glynn Morgan between and (2 years)
- Jon Jeary until
- Nick Harradence in
- Tony Grinham until
- Steve Anderson
- Jay Micciche between and (2 years)
- Pete Morten since
- Damian Wilson between and
- Damian Wilson between and
- Karl Groom (Guitar)
- Damian Wilson (Singing)
- Johanne James (Drum)
- genres: Progressive metal, Heavy metal
- albums: "Wounded Land", "Psychedelicatessen", "Livedelica", "Extinct Instinct", "Clone", "Decadent", "Hypothetical", "Critical Mass", "Concert in Paris", "Wireless", "Critical Energy", "Subsurface", "Replica", "Surface to Stage", "Pressure", "Dead Reckoning", "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams", "The Best of Threshold: The Ravages of Time", "Supermassive Black Hole", "Paradox: The Singles Collection", "March of Progress"
- official website: www.thresh.net
Threshold, Matthew Callahan, is a fictional supervillain from the Gen¹³ and DV8 comic books, published by Wildstorm.
"Threshold" is the sixth studio album by the Swedish heavy metal band HammerFall. It was released on October 20, 2006, in Europe and October 31, 2006, in the United States. The album entered the Swedish charts at number one, staying on the chart for eight weeks. This was the band's first No. 1 since Renegade in 2000.
"Threshold" is a 1997 fantasy novel by South Australian author Sara Douglass.
- language: English Language
- genres: Speculative fiction, Fantasy
- copyright: 1997
- released on (16 years ago)
- Threshold was a science fiction drama television series that first aired on CBS in September 2005. Produced by Brannon Braga, David S. Goyer and David Heyman, the series focuses on a secret government project investigating the first contact with an extraterrestrial species.
- begun on and completed on (8 years ago)
- 13 episodes of 60 or 45 minutes each
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- regular cast:
- genres: Science Fiction, Action, Drama
- "Threshold" is a 2003 Sci Fi Pictures original film adaptation of the 1958 black and white science fiction film It! The Terror from Beyond Space. The film stars Nicholas Lea, Jamie Luner, and Steve Bacic. Other notable cast members include Teryl Rothery, television mogul Stephen J. Cannell, and Gloria Slade.
- countries: Canada, United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: Charles Calvin Bowman & Chuck Bowman
- genres: Science Fiction, Thriller, Television film
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Threshold" is a 1981 drama/science fiction film directed by Richard Pearce. It starred Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum. The film was nominated for eight Genie Awards in 1983 and won three of them. Sutherland also won best actor at the 1982 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival for his performance.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producers: Jon Slan & Michael Burns
- production design by Anne Pritchard
- cinematography by Michel Brault
- edited by Susan Martin
- music by Maribeth Solomon, Micky Erbe
- genres: Science Fiction, Drama
- released in (33 years ago)
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role nomination for Donald Sutherland
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Motion Picture nomination for Jon Slan & Michael Burns
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Achievement in Cinematography nomination for Michel Brault
- Genie Award for Best Achievement in Music - Original Score nomination for Maribeth Solomon & Micky Erbe
- Genie Award for Best Achievement in Overall Sound nomination for Jack Heeren, Paul Coombe, Bryan Day & Allen Ormerod
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Achievement in Sound Editing nomination for Sharon Lackie, Bruce Nyznik, Tony Currie
- Genie Award for Best Achievement in Art Direction/Production Design nomination for Anne Pritchard
- Genie Award for Best Performance by a Foreign Actor nomination for Jeff Goldblum
- Genie Award for Best Performance by a Foreign Actress nomination for Mare Winningham
- Genie Award for Best Achievement in Editing nomination for Susan Martin
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, received by Donald Sutherland
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Achievement in Cinematography, received by Michel Brault
"Threshold" is a roleplaying enforced MUD that has been in operation since June 1996. Its focus is on providing a place for roleplaying in addition to traditional MMO/MUD style gameplay. It has as many as 70-100 players online at any given time.
- mode: Multiplayer video game
- genres: MUD, Massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Fantasy
- released in (17 years ago)
- Threshold: A threshold is the sill of a door. In many cultures it has a special symbolism: for instance, in Poland and Russia it is bad luck to shake hands or kiss across the threshold when meeting somebody. In many countries it is considered good luck for a bridegroom to carry the bride over the threshold to their new home.
- Threshold was an ongoing comic book series published by DC Comics, as part of The New 52...
- The Threshold are a fictional organisation who appeared in the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. The canonicity of the comic strips, like other Doctor Who spin-off media, is open to interpretation.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for threshold
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Psychology, Eighth Edition, in Modules Study Guide (2006)
by David G. Myers, PhD, Richard Straub
The absolute threshold is defined as the minimum stimulus that is detected 50 percent of the time. 2. c. is the answer. According to Weber's law, the difference threshold is a constant proportion of the stimulus.
Experimental Psychology (2008)
by Barry Kantowitz, Henry Roediger, III, David Elmes
Since the absolute threshold is a statistical concept, much like the “average taxpayer,” it has other statistical properties...
The upper threshold is the average point at which the observer changes from “heavier” responses to “equal” responses.
Encyclopedia of Environmetrics (2002)
by Abdel H. El-Shaarawi, Walter W. Piegorsch
exceeds certain high thresholds (see Exceedance over threshold). However, since by ...
International Encyclopedia of Ergonomics and Human Factors, Second Edition - 3 Volume Set (2006)
by Waldemar Karwowski
FIGURE 3 Exemplary representation of the IRTTS (Integrated Restitution Temporary Threshold Shift). Physiological Costs of Noise Exposure: Temporary Threshold Shifts min Exposure. 1 0 dB at 250 Hz or 30 dB at 64 Hz, ...
Encyclopedia of Quantitative Risk Analysis and Assessment (2008)
by Edward L. Melnick, Brian S. Everitt
p0 Dose d∗ R e s p o n s e Figure 1 Schematic dose–response relationship with threshold dose d∗ for fixed observational period t be estimated, safe exposure levels could be derived, leading to tolerable small exposures. In this case ...
An Encyclopedia of Shamanism Volume 2 (Hardcover) (2007)
by Christina Pratt
Threshold Guardian snare malevolent spirits and demons. The thread cross, or mdos, is made from two (or more) sticks crossed and bound to form a cross structure. The central vertical stick is called the srog shing, or "life tree," believed to be a ...
Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design (1996)
Volume 58 - Thermoplastics to Trays: Separation: Useful CaPatity by John J. McKetta Jr
TABLE 2 Threshold Quantities JTQt) for Flammable and Combustible Liquids Threshold Class Flammable Properties To Be Considered Quantity (lb) F, Flash point < 73"F and boiling point < 100°F 5.000 Class IA flammable liquid NFPA ...
Encyclopedia of Financial Models, 3 Volume Set (2012)
by Frank J. Fabozzi, CFA
considered a time-dependent default threshold, let us assume first a constant default threshold K > 0. If we are at time t ≥ 0, default has not been triggered yet and Vt > K, then the time of default τ is given by ...
Encyclopedia of Consciousness, Two-Volume Set (2009)
by William P. Banks
Threshold. Methods. Objective. Threshold. Methods. With the advent of SDT and the clear problems with criterion- based methods, the revival of unconscious perception research in the mid-1970s and early 1980s instead arranged stimulus ...
Encyclopedia of Asian American Folklore and Folklife (2010)
by Kathleen Nadeau, Jonathan H.X. Lee
Domestic threshold designs are among South Asia's most transferable aspects of folk culture to the United States, as they are inexpensive, ephemeral works of art with universal appeal. Drawn with powdered rice, sandstone, or limestone upon ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for threshold
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about threshold
Click on an item to view that photo:
You either make the cut-off, or you don't.
Sometimes, the world is as simple as black and white.
Photo credit: butler.corey
Photo credit: flattop341
- The Threshold, Lalibela, Ethiopia
The 13th century rock-hewn Church of Bet Gabriel-Rufael has hosted countless pilgrims and visitors for hundreds of years.
The worn steps and threshold stand in mute testimony to the faithful who have passed through Bet Gabriel-Rufael for over eight centuries.
In a different vein, this photo shows the builders who created the rock-hewn churches at Lalibela favored thick exterior walls. It would be interesting to know whether the designers employed engineering principles in determining the walls' thickness, or whether the specifications were derived through trial-and-error, with a measure of over-engineering thrown in for good measure.
According to the book Ethiopia & Eritrea by Frances Linzee Gordon and Jean-Bernard Carillet (2nd Edition, Lonely Planet, 2003):
"Because of its curious, irregular plan, it is thought that Bet Gabriel-Rufael served another function before its conversion to a church - perhaps a residence of the royal family."
"The complex is made up of three halls and two courtyards. King Lalibela is said to have addressed his people from the top. Its monumental facade is its most interesting feature. Look for the very unusual Aksumite windows with little pointed arches. Inside, the decoration is quite plain - just three Latin crosses.
Photo credit: A.Davey
- Threshold executive producers
Threshold executive producers
Brannon Braga & David S. Goyer
Photo credit: forzaq8
- Threshold Cast
the intro to the Threshold panel
Photo credit: forzaq8
- Threshold Building in Gig Harbor, WA
The Threshold Building in Gig Harbor, Washington.
To see more Pacific Northwest Regional Architecture like this, go to...
Photo credit: pnwra
Video language resources about threshold
Click on an item to play that video:
- VOCABULARY level threshold for near perfect GRE verbal scores (ie. sentence completitions)
This is a video that will provide you with information on the level of vocabulary used on the GRE for people scoring near perfect or perfect scores on the GR...
- MOSFET threshold voltage: Definition, extraction, and some applications
Full article available on ScienceDirect...
- Field Threshold - Phase 01 Grasshopper Definition
- Soybean Insects - Description, Damage, Threshold and Scouting Techniques
Presented by Tim Reed, Extension Entomologist. This video covers all major and some minor insect pests of soybeans. Treatment threshold levels are discussed ...
- Threshold potential - Spoken Description
Spoken description about Threshold potential. This is text to speech video for education the public. Below is the transcript for the recording: The threshold...
See also the pronunciation examples of threshold!
Quotes about threshold
Hope smiles on the threshold of the year to come, whispering that it will be happier. (Alfred Lord Tennyson)
more quotes about threshold...
Scrabble value of T1H4R1E1S1H4O1L1D2
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of threshold to find many related words and phrases!