The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun threshold:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun threshold
What does threshold mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: thresholds
- the starting point for a new state or experience
- the smallest detectable sensation
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of threshold: limen
- more generic terms: aesthesis / esthesis / sensation / sense datum / sense experience / sense impression = an unelaborated elementary awareness of stimulation
- more specific terms:
- the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of threshold: door / doorway / room access
- more generic words: entrance / entranceway / entree / entry / entryway = something that provides access
- more specific terms: exterior door / outside door = a doorway that allows entrance to or exit from a building
- part of: wall = an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness
- the sill of a door; a horizontal piece of wood or stone that forms the bottom of a doorway and offers support when passing through a doorway
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of threshold: doorsill / doorstep
- more generic word: sill = structural member consisting of a continuous horizontal timber forming the lowest member of a framework or supporting structure
- part of: door / doorway / room access = the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building
- a region marking a boundary
Alternative definition of the noun threshold
- The bottom-most part of a doorway that one crosses to enter; a sill.
- [context: by extension] An entrance
- The start of the landing area of a runway
- [engineering] The quantitative point at which an action is triggered, especially a lower limit
- The wage or salary at which income tax becomes due
- The outset of an action or project
- The point where one mentally or physically is vulnerable in response to provocation or to particular things in general. As in emotions, stress, or pain.
Specialised definition of the noun threshold
Glossary of management / IT service management / problem management
a pre-determined limit to the number of incidents attributable to a single problem or known error, or to the time for which an incident, problem or known error is outstanding, at which escalation procedures are invoked
Glossary of pesticide
concentration of a pesticide in an organism or environmental compartment below which an adverse effect is not expected
Glossary of sports
the point at which something starts, e.g. where something can be perceived by the body or where a drug starts to have an effect (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
the point at which a sensation is strong enough to be sensed by the sensory nerves (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Phrases with Threshold
Phrases starting with the word Threshold:
Phrases ending with the word Threshold:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Threshold
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY (2012)
by HARDEEP KAUR SHERGILL
The absolute threshold is the least intense stimulus in a given modality that is detectable.
Stereoscopic Vision by Ian P. Howard, Brian J. Rogers
Ideally, the diplopia threshold is the mean of the fusion and refusion limits. However, the diplopia...
The diplopia threshold is a radius ofthe fusional area, and the fusion range is a diameter of the fusional area. The fusional range is larger for ...
Chemical Warfare Agents (2007)
Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics, Second Edition by James A. Romano, Brian J. Lukey, Harry Salem
For descriptive and definitional purposes the following terms are used: odor detection threshold is the concentration of gas or vapor that can be discriminated from fresh air; recognition threshold is that concentration at which the identity of the ...
Genes and Obesity (2010)
Detection threshold is the lowest concentration at which a compound can be detected, and subjects often perceive this as...
Asthma For Dummies (2011)
by William E. Berger
A low allergic threshold means that your sensitivity to an allergen is high — even a small exposure to the substance can trigger your symptoms. A high allergic threshold means that your body requires a higher concentration of allergens to ...
by Fred M. Kusumoto, Nora F. Goldschlager
stimulation has a significantly lower stimulation threshold than anodal (positive) stimulation. Another critical factor determining stimulation threshold is the distance of the closest normal myocyte. The stimulation ...
by Alexander Bachmutsky
- Programmable Denial-of-Service attack prevention thresholds: — The first threshold is the maximum number of states that will be saved ...
Objective Measurement (2000)
Theory Into Practice by Mark Wilson, George Engelhard
The second threshold is the point where a response of strongly disagree (0) or disagree (1) is equally likely as agree (2) or strongly agree (3). The third threshold is the point where a response of agree (2) or less is as likely as a response of ...
by Rory A Cooper
The threshold is the minimum stimulus required to elicit a visible muscle contraction. The threshold is a function of pulse duration, amplitude, and stimulus period. The muscle recruited at the lowest stimulus level is considered the primary ...
Poetry as Survival (2010)
by Gregory Orr
As such, a threshold is a place of transition, a place where a person might pause. Imagine yourself there for a moment: you are departing and stop briefly on the threshold with the door open. Before you, the wild and varied scene of the outer ...
8th International Conference, ICIAP '95, San Remo, Italy, September 13 - 15, 1995. Proceedings by Carlo Braccini, Leila DeFloriani, Gianni Vernazza
The threshold is the minimum acceptable gradient modulus. Due to the fluctuation of the...
As we will show, the threshold is a function of edge characteristics and of the properties of the edge detector. Consequently, it is not easy to find a ...
Again the subject judges which of each pair is the stronger, and the difference threshold is the point where 75 percent of the judgments are correct, that is, agree with the direction of the physical difference. b. Method of Limits This method is ...
Jubilee Time (2009)
Celebrating Women, Spirit, And The Advent Of Age by Maria Harris
CRossiNG THRESHOLDS Crossing a threshold is a sacred, ritual act, not only in the Bible, but throughout human history. Thresholds have always been granted special powers. In most cultures, pride of place goes to the door and the doorway ...
by M.B. Holness
The percolation threshold is that value of ...
by M.A. Pastor, J. Artieda
Conversely, the fusion threshold is the opposite and is determined by reducing the time interval between two stimuli until they become fused, being perceived by the subject being examined as one. Both thresholds establish a discriminative ...
by Waldemar Karwowski
FIGURE 3 Exemplary representation of the IRTTS (Integrated Restitution Temporary Threshold Shift). Physiological Costs of Noise Exposure: Temporary Threshold Shifts min Exposure. 1 0 dB at 250 Hz or 30 dB at 64 Hz, ...
by David L. Hayes, MD, Samuel J. Asirvatham, MD
activity threshold. Programmable variable representing the level of activity that must be exceeded before a rate-adaptive pacing system will increase pacing rate . acute electrical remodeling. Any change in re- fractoriness, conduction, ...
by Jack Cazes
Absorbance Threshold Setting an absorbance threshold improves the accuracy of spectral comparison by screening out spectra near the signal baseline. These spectra tend to have a relatively high degree of noise, which adversely affects the ...
A Dictionary of Ethology (1989)
by Klaus Immelmann, Colin Beer
Threat yawn See Threat face Threshold The minimum strength of a stimulus necessary to elicit a response, such as a behavior pattern or a nerve impulse. Also the lowest perceivable level of a stimulus; for example, the auditory threshold of a ...
by C. C. Lee
Threshold limit value (TLV): The concentration of an airborne substance that a healthy person can be exposed to for a 40-hour work week without adverse effect ; a workplace exposure standard (FFDCA/pesticide-04). Threshold limit value ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Threshold
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Threshold
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: flattop341
- Threshold Building in Gig Harbor, WA
The Threshold Building in Gig Harbor, Washington.
To see more Pacific Northwest Regional Architecture like this, go to...
Photo credit: pnwra
- Threshold Cast
the intro to the Threshold panel
Photo credit: forzaq8
- Threshold executive producers
Threshold executive producers
Brannon Braga & David S. Goyer
Photo credit: forzaq8
- Dark Threshold
Photo credit: Grindalf
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Threshold
Click on an item to play that video:
- VOCABULARY level threshold for near perfect GRE verbal scores (ie. sentence completitions)
This is a video that will provide you with information on the level of vocabulary used on the GRE for people scoring near perfect or perfect scores on the GRE verbal section. These types of...
- MOSFET threshold voltage: Definition, extraction, and some applications
Full article available on ScienceDirect...
- Topic: The polygyny threshold model is an explanation (voice)
Listen today about new interesting topic - The polygyny threshold model is an explanation. *---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*--*---*---*---*...
- Field Threshold - Phase 01 Grasshopper Definition
- Soybean Insects - Description, Damage, Threshold and Scouting Techniques
Presented by Tim Reed, Extension Entomologist. This video covers all major and some minor insect pests of soybeans. Treatment threshold levels are discussed and scouting tips are presented....
See also the pronunciation examples of Threshold!
Quotes about Threshold
Scrabble value of T1H4R1E1S1H4O1L1D2
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Threshold to see it in context!