Tick appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- "Yank citadels I’m sawing", I say, "a sign I was misled a tick?… nay."
- "To lay as I live, decide if I tick radar off for a dark citified ice devil," I say a lot.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tick:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tick
- Definition of the verb tick
- Phrases with Tick
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Tick
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tick
- Usage statistics about tick
- Photos about Tick
- Video language resources about Tick
- Quotes about Tick
- Scrabble value of T1I1C3K5
- Anagrams of TICK
- Share this page
The word tick is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tick
What does tick mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ticks
- a metallic tapping sound
- any of two families of small parasitic arachnids with barbed proboscis; feed on blood of warm-blooded animals
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic word: acarine = mite or tick
- more specific terms:
- member of: Acarina / order Acarina = mites and ticks
- a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.
- a light mattress
Alternative definition of the noun tick
- [context: fauna] A tiny woodland arthropod of the order Acarina.
- A relatively quiet but sharp sound generally made repeatedly by moving machinery.
- A mark on any scale of measurement; a unit of measurement.
- [computing] A jiffy (unit of time defined by basic timer frequency).
- [colloquial] A short period of time, particularly a second.
- [British] a mark ([unicode, ✓]) made to indicate agreement, correctness or acknowledgement; checkmark
- [uncountable] Ticking.
- A sheet that wraps around a mattress.
- [British, colloquial] Credit, trust.
Definition of the verb tick
What does tick mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ticked | ticking | ticks
- make a clicking or ticking sound
- example: The clock ticked away
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] There ticked a grandather clock in the hallway [Agent] [Verb] [Theme] I buzzed the bell [Location] [Verb] with [Theme] The street sang with horns [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] The door hinges squeaked [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] [Oblique] The bell chimed the hour [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Horns beeped in the street [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In the hallway ticked a gradfather clock
Verbs of Emission (with the same syntax): babble, bang, beat, beep, bellow, blare, blast, blat, boom, bubble, burble, burr, buzz, chatter, chime, chink, chitter, chug, clack, clang, clank, clap, clash, clatter, click, cling, clink, clomp, clump, clunk, crack, crackle, crash, creak, crepitate, crunch, cry, ding, dong, drone, explode, fizz, fizzle, groan, growl, gurgle, hiss, hoot, howl, hum, jangle, jingle, knell, knock, lilt, moan, murmur, patter, peal, ping, pink, pipe, plonk, plop, plunk, pop, purr, putter, rap, rasp, rattle, ring, roar, roll, rumble, rustle, scream, screech, shriek, shrill, sing, sizzle, snap, sough, sound, splash, splutter, sputter, squawk, squeak, squeal, squelch, strike, swish, swoosh, thrum, thud, thump, thunder, thunk, ting, tinkle, toll, toot, tootle, trill, trumpet, twang, ululate, vroom, wail, wheeze, whine, whir, whish, whisper, whistle, whoosh, zing.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonym of tick: click
- more generic words: go / sound = make a certain noise or sound
- make a sound like a clock or a timer
- put a check mark on or near or next to
Alternative definition of the verb tick
- To make a clicking noise similar to the movement of the hands in an analog clock.
- To make a tick mark.
Specialised definition of the verb tick
Glossary of sports / curling
to hit an object rock lightly or glancingly, so that it moves only a short distance
- The Tick is a fictional character created by cartoonist Ben Edlund in 1986 as a newsletter mascot for the New England Comics chain of Boston area comic stores. He is an absurdist spoof of comic book superheroes. After its creation, the character spun off into an independent comic book series in 1988, and gained mainstream popularity through an animated TV series on Fox in 1994. A short-lived live-action TV series, video game, and various merchandise have also been based on the character. IGN's list of the Top 100 Comic Book Heroes of All Time ranked The Tick as #57.
- created by Ben Edlund
- fictional universe: The Tick Universe
- Tick is a fictional character from the 2012 film Warp.
- Tick is a fictional character from the 2008 film Beethoven's Big Break.
- Tick is a fictional character from the 1916 film Destiny's Toy.
- "Tick" is a musical album of Minako Kotobuki.
- released on
- "Tick" is a musical album of Marry Me Jane.
- released on (17 years ago)
- Tick is time tracking software operated by The Molehill, headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, that offers online time tracking and reporting services through their website along with mobile and desktop applications. Tick tracks time based on clients, projects and tasks, either through a timer or through manual entry.
- license: Proprietary software
- Tick is a TV spot.
Phrases with Tick
Phrases starting with the word Tick:
Phrases ending with the word Tick:
View more phrases with the word Tick in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Tick
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
International Standard ISO/IEC 8652/1995(E) with Technical Corrigendum 1 and Amendment 1 by S. Tucker Taft
A clock tick is a real time interval during which the clock value (as observed by calling the Clock function) remains constant. Tick is the average length of such intervals.
Products, Strategies, Participants by Andrew M. Chisholm
A tick is the minimum allowed price movement in a financial asset, such as one cent. Traders often give the deltaofan option position a positive ora negative value. The sign tells us about the directional exposure of the position to changes in ...
by Joel G. Siegel
TICK A measure of movement in closing stock prices; a near-term indicator of market strength near the close of the trading day. It is computed during the trading day as the net difference between all New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) stocks ...
Geography Disease Spotted fever group Rickettsia rickettsii Tick Rodents and dogs North and South America Rocky Mountain spotted fever ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
The rabbit tick, H. leporispalustris, occurs in the New World from Alaska south to Argentina. It has a large host list that includes horses, cats, dogs and birds. It rarely attacks man, but is responsible for the transmission of Rocky Mountain spotted ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tick
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about tick
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tick:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tick:
Photos about Tick
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Mobentec
Photo credit: Serendipiddy
Photo credit: MoBarger
Photo credit: sevenhungrybadgers
Photo credit: Somma
Photo credit: IvyMike
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
- Cattle tick
Blood sucking vermin engorged with dog blood.
Photo credit: clickthatmouse
- Tick =[
Photo credit: Punk_Rock321
- Tick Collection
Photo credit: Adirondack Watershed Institute
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tick
Click on an item to play that video:
- Whatsapp Blue tick meaning
WhatsApp Blue tick meaning..Here you go on video about Double blue ticks meaning. Blue ticks on WhatsApp: What they really mean Whats mean for blue tick ...
- Wide Receiver Academy - Receiving Fundamentals - Tick Not Thump Explanation
Previews from Athlete Builder's video library - over 1000 videos available Join us at...
- Tick Meaning
Video shows what tick means. A tiny woodland arachnid of the suborder Ixodida.. tick synonyms: ticking. tick pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Seed tick Meaning
Video shows what seed tick means. A small, immature tick larva.. Seed tick Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say seed tick.
- Tight as a tick Meaning
Video shows what tight as a tick means. Drunk, inebriated.. Fully inflated, swollen near to bursting.. Unwilling to spend money.. Tight as a tick Meaning. How to ...
- Water tick Meaning
Video shows what water tick means. A water mite.. Water tick Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say water tick. Powered by ...
- What Is The Definition Of Typhus, tick
- What Is The Definition Of Tick borne rickettsioses of the eastern hemisphere
- Minecraft: Tick Adder - Detailed Explanation - Redstone
A thurough explanation of how the tick adder actually works. Hopefully this is more clear than the first video of it! :) Download world: ...
- Make It Tick v Persistence ( Definition)
- Battle Dawn/Galaxy Tutorial #1 Brief Explanation of BD and Tick/Unit Movements
The first in multiple BD/BG Tutorial Video's. this will explain what BD is about and give some brief explanation on Ticks and unit movements with ticks. enjoy!
- Tick fever Meaning
Video shows what tick fever means. any of various diseases transmitted by ticks. Tick fever Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- What Is The Definition Of Tick typhus
- What Is The Definition Of Tick bite
- What Is The Definition Of Typhus, African tick
- Tick mark Meaning
Video shows what tick mark means. A mark (often one of a series) made to show that an operation or task has been completed.. Tick mark Meaning. How to ...
- Meanings of Tick - ESL British English Pronunciation
- TICK TACK EFL VACANAS 8 9 mov
- TICK TACK EFL magic water yamiset, Vero and Yafre
- TICK TACK EFL The secret natasha nucelys celena and manuela
- TICK TACK EFL Marianny y Andreina
- TICK TACK EFL MAGIC SNEAKERS honey y Manuela
- TICK TACK EFL Julian y Martis 8 9
- TICK TACK EFL VACANAS 8 9
Quotes about Tick
Scrabble value of T1I1C3K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TICK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tick!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tick to see it in context!