On this page:
Definition of the noun time unit
What does time unit mean as a name of something?
- a unit for measuring time periods
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of time unit: unit of time
- more generic words: amount / measure / quantity = how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify
- more specific terms:
- twenty-four hour period / twenty-four hours / 24-hour interval / mean solar day / solar day / day = time for Earth to make a complete rotation on its axis
- night = the dark part of the diurnal cycle considered a time unit
- mean solar time / mean time = time based on the motion of the mean sun
- terrestrial dynamical time / terrestrial time / ephemeris time / TDT / TT = a measure of time defined by Earth's orbital motion
- month = a time unit of approximately 30 days
- sidereal day / day = the time for one complete rotation of the earth relative to a particular star, about 4 minutes shorter than a mean solar day
- ship's bell / bell = each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell
- 60 minutes / hour / hr = a period of time equal to 1/24th of a day
- 30 minutes / half-hour = a half of an hour
- quarter-hour / 15 minutes = a quarter of an hour
- minute / min = a unit of time equal to 60 seconds or 1/60th of an hour
- quarter = a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
- second / sec / s = 1/60 of a minute
- attosecond = one quintillionth (10^-18) of a second
- femtosecond = one quadrillionth (10^-15) of a second
- picosecond = one trillionth (10^-12) of a second
- nanosecond = one billionth (10^-9) of a second
- microsecond = one millionth (10^-6) of a second
- millisecond / msec = one thousandth (10^-3) of a second
Time unit: The unit of time of this holiday length.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Time unit
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David W. South
Transmission Test Set tty teletype; teletypewriter TTY Telephone-Teletypewriter ; Teletypewriter TU Tape Unit; Technology Utilization; Time Unit; Timing Unit; Transfer Unit; Transmission Unit; Transport Unit TUC Technology Utilization Center ...
by Robin L. Cautin, Scott O. Lilienfeld
Data type Coding Representational unit unit Single-code event Event Event Multievent Event Event Interval Interval Interval Timed event Event Time unit State Event Time unit numbers between 1 and 2 s—but becomes discrete as soon as ...
by Edward L. Melnick, Brian S. Everitt
Application of the renewal reward theorem implies that the long-run expected costs per time unit for replacement strategy T > 0 are equal to the expected costs per cycle divided by the expected cycle length, where a cycle is the time between ...
Volume 30 - Supplement 15: Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology to System Level Modelling by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
Because T and 5 are measured by minutes, the time unit of the simulation clock may be counted by seconds, or 1/ 100 min ...
Encyclopedia of Astrobiology (2011)
by Muriel Gargaud
While the geologic time unit (chronologic unit, see Fig. 1) refers to an age derived by various methods as discussed below, a chronostratigraphic unit consists of rocks formed on a global scale during a specific geologic time (Ogg et al. 2008).
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Time unit
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Time unit to find many related words and phrases!