On this page:
- Definition of the noun tiptoe
- Definition of the adjective tiptoe
- Definition of the adverb tiptoe
- Definition of the verb tiptoe
- Phrases with Tiptoe
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tiptoe
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tiptoe
- Usage statistics about tiptoe
- Photos about Tiptoe
- Video language resources about Tiptoe
- Quotes about Tiptoe
- Scrabble value of T1I1P3T1O1E1
- Anagrams of TIPTOE
- Share this page
The word tiptoe is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tiptoe
What does tiptoe mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tiptoes
- the tip of a toe
Definition of the adjective tiptoe
What does tiptoe mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- walking on the tips of ones's toes so as to make no noise
- example: moving with tiptoe steps
- similar: quiet
Definition of the adverb tiptoe
What does tiptoe mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- on tiptoe or as if on tiptoe
- example: standing tiptoe
Definition of the verb tiptoe
What does tiptoe mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tiptoed | tiptoeing | tiptoes
- walk on one's toes
- example: The children tiptoe to the playground
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dash, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, glide, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slither, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, sweep, swerve, swim, tack, tear, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, vault, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of tiptoe: tip / tippytoe
- more generic word: walk = use one's feet to advance
Alternative definition of the verb tiptoe
- To walk quietly when only the tips of the toes touch the ground. [definition from late 14th c.]
- Alternative spelling of tip-toe.
Tiptoe is a record label.
- "Tiptoe" is a song written and recorded by American indie rock band Imagine Dragons, for their debut studio album Night Visions. The song appears as the second track on the album. Bubbling under the Billboard Hot 100 at #13, it has also peaked at #34 on the Billboard Rock songs chart. The song was performed by the group at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards. The theme of the song deals with the speaker's victory over something momentous, despite his not being noticed or recognized by others.
- also known as Tip Toe
- music and lyrics by Imagine Dragons
- "Tiptoe" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Thad Jones
- "Tiptoe" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Tiptoe" is a composition.
- music by Piotr Musia³
Tiptoe describes the human body posture and locomotion of removing the heel of one or both feet from the ground. It is quite often used as a slang when the weight is placed on the balls of the feet, rather than literally the tips of the toes, although it could still be used in that case.
Phrases with Tiptoe
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tiptoe
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jean Mooney
positive if patient shows loss of balance/increased tendency to sway when standing with eyes closed screening test any test that categorizes by predetermined characteristic/ property single-leg raise test; tiptoe test test of tendo Achilles (TA), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tiptoe
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about tiptoe
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tiptoe:
Photos about Tiptoe
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: goatling
white n' black...
Photo credit: Zen Me
Photo credit: K Tao
Photo credit: Yakinik
Photo credit: bickiepickie
Photo credit: jfingas
Photo credit: timatymusic
Photo credit: Ryan Tir
Photo credit: Travelling Planner
Photo credit: ms.Tea
Photo credit: juanktru
Photo credit: Leonardo Veras1
Photo credit: katrienberckmoes
Photo credit: jenny downing
Photo credit: The hills are alive*
100 Possibilities Project #24
Photo credit: cvanstane
- Tiptoe Thru the Tulips
Photo credit: clabudak
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tiptoe
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tiptoe Meaning
Video shows what tiptoe means. The tips of one's toes collectively.. Tiptoe Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say tiptoe. Powered ...
- Learning English Vocabulary Word - Strew, Clutter, Tiptoe - Lesson 292
SCRIPT The desk is strewn with pieces of paper and documents. The room is cluttered with boxes. The person is standing on her tiptoes. A) The desk is well ...
- ESL for Beginners - Common English Verbs - thumb, tilt, tiptoe etc. - Lesson 111
Script The man is thumbing a ride. The sky is full of lightning. The girl is tilting her head to her left. The woman is timing a swimmer. The girl is tiptoeing. The bill ...
View more videos about On Tiptoe.
Quotes about Tiptoe
Scrabble value of T1I1P3T1O1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TIPTOE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tiptoe!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tiptoe to see it in context!