On this page:
Definition of the noun to stuff
What does to stuff mean as a name of something?
Specialised definition of the noun to stuff
Glossary of sports / baseball
the ability to throw the ball with speed and movement (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- example: he has excellent stuff, but his control lets him down.
- usage: slang
Definition of the verb to stuff
What does to stuff mean as a doing phrase?
verb - inflections: stuffed | stuffing | stuffs
- cram into a cavity
- examples: The child stuffed candy into his pockets | They stuff the cart with boxes
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Jessica sprayed the wall | Leslie staffed the store [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Jessica loaded the wagon with boxes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Jessica squirted water [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Destination] Jessica loaded boxes into the wagon
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic word: cram = put something somewhere so that the space is completely filled
- more specific terms:
- press or force
- overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself
- example: She stuffed herself at the dinner
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of stuff: binge / englut / engorge / glut / gorge / gormandise / gormandize / gourmandize / ingurgitate / overeat / overgorge / overindulge / pig out / satiate / scarf out
- more generic word: eat = eat a meal
- treat with grease, fill, and prepare for mounting
- fill tightly with a material
- fill with a stuffing while cooking
- example: Have you stuffed the turkey yet?
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- domain: cookery / cooking / preparation
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of stuff: farce
- more generic terms: fill / fill up / make full = make full, also in a metaphorical sense
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for to Stuff
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Addiction to stuff is a real addiction! And changing that requires a gentle touch. (30–38 points) About Average While your life isn't ruled by your possessions, you could use an organizing tune-up. Realize that it takes 21 consecutive days of repeating an action to make it a habit. Make a list of positive habits ...
Organizing for the Maximum Life by Dianne Barker
• Emotional attachment to stuff is a curable personality trait.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* To Stuff, v.a. (from the noun.) 1. To meat,. S. T. U. S T U( 505 . )...
An Etymological Dictionary (1821)
by William Grimshaw
constiño; con, together, and stifio, to stuff. CONSTITUENT. s. A necessary part; one who appoints. L. constituens.—See CONSTITUTE. CONSTITUTE. v. To form; to appoint. L. constituo; con, together, and statuo, to establish. CONSTITUTION. s. The act of constituting; frame. L. constitutio.—See CONSTITUTE. CONSTRAIN. v. To compel. F. constraindre; L. con, together, and stringo, to bind. . . CONSTRUE. v. To explain; to interpret. L. construo; from con, together, and struo, to arrange.
by Dale Erwin, Tessa Fedele
mmuccatura; with the ~ buccale; to stuff one's ~ full appilarse 'a vocca; to talk with your mouth full tené 'a purpetta ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for to Stuff
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about to stuff
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb to stuff:
Photos about to Stuff
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Keys to Stuff
Photo credit: frankieleon
- Coopers Hawk ready to stuff
This female coopers hawk will be stuffed and used in the education programs at Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve in Hillsboro, Oregon.
Photo credit: born1945
- How to Stuff a bird
Photo credit: nevolution
- Learning how to stuff dumplings
Photo credit: serapio
- She's allergic to stuff
Photo credit: tompagenet
- Sometimes you just have to stuff your face
Photo credit: airforcefe
- How to stuff a drybag
Photo credit: theilr
Quotes about to Stuff
And Warner Bros. seems to be pretty much into re-releasing all of their catalog. So there's the Warner Bros. stuff and the stuff that we have control over, we're gradually re-releasing it. Some stuff we don't have control over. (Jerry Garcia)