The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun topic:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun topic
- Phrases with Topic
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Topic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Topic
- Photos about Topic
- Video language resources about Topic
- Sign language
- Quotes about Topic
- Scrabble value of T1O1P3I1C3
- Anagrams of TOPIC
- Share this page
The word topic and its family (topical, topics) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun topic
What does topic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: topics
- the subject matter of a conversation or discussion
- example: it was a very sensitive topic
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of topic: subject / theme
- more generic terms: content / message / subject matter / substance = what a communication that is about something is about
- more specific terms:
- some situation or event that is thought about
- example: he kept drifting off the topic
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of topic: issue / matter / subject
- more generic terms: cognitive content / content / mental object = the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- more specific terms:
- area = a subject of study
- blind spot = a subject about which you are ignorant or prejudiced and fail to exercise good judgment
- remit = the topic that a person, committee, or piece of research is expected to deal with or has authority to deal with
- res adjudicata / res judicata = a matter already settled in court
Alternative definition of the noun topic
- Subject; theme; a category or general area of interest.
- synonym: subject
- [context: internet] discussion thread
Topic is a chocolate bar made by Mars, Incorporated in France and sold throughout Europe. It contains hazelnuts, nougat and caramel.
Phrases with Topic
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Topic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Indiana Commissioner of Fisheries
The third topic is the best method of securing the influence of the agricultural societies. 'The committee will consist of Elisha Howland, Marion County, Ind.; James Kingsbury, Indianapolis, Ind.; W" T. Dennis, Richmond, Ind. The fourth topic is the best method of...
The third topic is the best method of securing the influence of the agricultural societies. The committee will consist of Elisha Howland,
by Steven E. Barkan, George J. Bryjak
A second, and related, topic is the role played by race and ethnicity, class, and gender in the operation of the criminal justice system. This role is complex and often significant, and most other texts do not treat it adequately. For a more complete ...
by Roberta Alexander
The topic is a key word or short phrase that describes the focus of a it says what the paragraph is about paragraph M A l...
by Branca Telles Ribeiro
“Topic is an important concept that can help us relate different aspects of communication to one another and help us...
by Luis A. Caffarelli, Weinan E
The first topic is the invariance of certain (normalized) Gibbs measures under the flow of the equation. This program was initiated in a paper of Lebowitz, Rose and Speer (Comm. in Stat. Phys., 88). In ID, as shown in this paper, the measure ...
Exploiting Graphics Cards For Security by Debra Cook, Angelos D. Keromytis
The first topic is the design of asymmetric key cipher for use in a GPU. An overview of how a stream cipher may be created using graphics operations is presented. The second topic is the protection of audio from malware on an untrusted client ...
by Ghaoui, Claude
For learning, users need content organized in some fashion, focused on a particular topic or domain. Rather than a generic search engine to, hopefully, find relevant content and its resulting flat view of information, a concept map provides a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Topic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Topic
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Off topic.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Topic
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn English Vocabulary Through Pictures - Topic 1 Vegetables
Learn English Vocabulary Through Pictures - Topic vegetables.
- P.1 Science Vocabulary List (Topic 10-14)
P.1 Science Vocabulary List Topic 10-14.
- TWGC Topic #13 Part B - Anand Karaj - Ceremony and Spiritual Meaning
Part 2 of 3 of Topic #13 of The Why Guru Course (TWGC). Topic #13 looks at the Sikh Marriage Ceremony, the Anand Kaaraj (Blissful ceremony). Part B looks at ...
- CSE 103 class 1 ''Topic explanation about the lies in the textbooks''
Creation Science Evangelism Classes from Kent Hovind.wide spread of topics from Science,Evolution,Bible,History and many-more topics.for everybody that ...
- Core Java Topic - 3: Meaning of Class and Working with Eclipse - 1
This video explains how to write program using notepad, execute it. It also explains how to download Eclipse, launch it, create work space, create a project and a ...
- Topic 1-Definition of a Limit
Students will learn the definition of a limit.
- Topic Explanation
- Vocabulary to increase knowledge of topic.
Exposition about Vocabulary to increase knowledge of topic.
- [Learn English Vocabulary Through Pictures] - Topic 1 : Alphabet
Would you like to learn basic English easily with pictures? There are a lot of lessons and topics for you to select. In each lesson, you can see words, pictures.
- Topic 7-Definition of Continuity
Students will determine when a function is continuous at a number and within an interval.
- GCSE: B601 Deity topic, explanation of miracles
Explanation of different types of miracles from a Christian perspective and alternative explanations.
- Topic Vocabulary for IELTS
This video will help to pronounce correctly. Mrs. Divya Poduval is MA in English with B.Ed. Qualification and working as Senior Faculty at English Learning ...
- Topic 1 Distance Education; History and Definition
EELU Learn4All Initiative Course Name: Introduction to E-Learning Clip Title: Topic 1 Distance Education; History and Definition Mohamed EL Zayat, PhD. Edu.
- MS Office 2010. Excel Basic: Unit 1 Topic A: Terminology and Environment
This video introduces some of the common Excel terminology and the becoming more used to the Excel 2010 environment. Definitely things everyone should be ...
- Topic 2 B Electronic learning Definition and Evolution
EELU Learn4All Initiative Course Name: E-Learning Principles and Fundamentals Clip Title: Topic 2 (B) Electronic learning Definition and Evolution Mohamed ...
- Requested topic: Meaning what you say, and saying what you mean
via YouTube Capture.
- Vocabulary for English - Topic 2 Numbers!
Vocabulary for English - Topic 2 Numbers! Learn English Vocabulary very Easy.
- Topic 2 D Electronic learning Definition and Evolution
- THESIS TOPIC RMUTT 2015 l 0002 : MEANING OF CHAINATOWN
- P.3 Science Vocabulary List(Topic 7-11)
P.3 Science Vocabulary List Topic 7-11.
- Sermon Topic Description for Dec 1 2013
- AIF Punjab Flip on Topic Noun
Flip Class in GHS Uppalheri School.
- Random language learning tip #3 | Describe one topic only
- Become a Skillshare Teacher: Topic + Description
- English Topic: Adjective
The Video Seems Small , But Educational. The Video Helps You Improving Knowing The WORLD OF ADJECTIVES.
- How to activate a topic dictionary in Co:Writer 6
- Sunday Topic Dictionary Flipping
- How to find a Topic Dictionary you just created in Co:Writer 6
- Learning topic:Language
- Learning topic:Verb
See also the pronunciation examples of Topic!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Topic
Scrabble value of T1O1P3I1C3
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TOPIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Topic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Topic to see it in context!