The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb toss out:
On this page:
Definition of the verb toss out
What does toss out mean as a doing phrase?
- throw or cast away
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of toss out: cast aside / cast away / cast out / chuck out / discard / dispose / fling / put away / throw away / throw out / toss / toss away
- more generic terms: get rid of / remove = dispose of
- more specific terms:
- unlearn = discard something previously learnt, like an old habit
- give it the deep six / deep-six = toss out
- jettison = throw away, of something encumbering
- scrap / trash / junk = dispose of
- waste = get rid of
- dump = throw away as refuse
- retire = dispose of
- abandon = forsake, leave behind
- liquidize / sell out / sell up = sell or get rid of all one's merchandise
- de-access = dispose of by selling
- close out = terminate by selling off or disposing of
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Toss Out
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Seth Godin, Lark Productions LLC, Seth Godin Productions
discard, dismiss, dispose, put away, swamped, toss out, tum off, wrecked; 8 capsized, chuck out, fool away, grounded, stranded, throw out, toss away; 9 cast aside, fling away, foundered, pitch away, throw away; 10 muddle away, throw aside; ...
by Stewart James
Toss out cut piece with string tied on it. And now came an odd ceremony. (Pull ropes down, and fan them.) Suddenly, to our amazement, that rope became restored in one, unbreakable piece! (Pull hard to prove this, and to keep rope moving.) ...
by Richard Webster
It is bad luck to toss out old socks without washing them first. This is because unwashed socks are impregnated with your personal energy, and you do not want this to disappear. Even worse, someone who doesn't like you could use your old ...
by Christine Ammer
toss 0 In addition to the idioms beginning with TOSS, also see THROW AWAY (TOSS OUT); THROW (TOSS) ONE'S HAT IN THE RING. toss off 1.
by Sidney L. Landau
eet rid of, throw away, toss out, throw out dispose of, eliminate, evict turn out, expel, oust, remove. chuckle v. laugh, chortle, cackle, giggle, smile. — n. laugh, chortle, cackle, giggle, smile. chucklehead n. FOOL. chum n. pal, buddy, friend, ...
Abridged from the Seven-volume Work, Entitled: Slang and Its Analogues by John Stephen Farmer, William Ernest Henley
Also colloquialisms and phrases: To toss out, (1) to ...
kill, shed05ditch,scrap, trash06reject,remove 07 abandon,cashier, cast off, dismiss, forsake, layaway,toss out 08 chuckout,getrid of, jettison,layaside, throw out 09 castaside, chuck away, discharge, dismissal, dispose of, repudiate, supersede, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Toss Out
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Toss Out
The toss out
Photo credit: Damian GadalCouldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine