Triple appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Triple Dickle
(a strong drink)
- Don't trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you! If you trouble trouble, triple trouble troubles you!
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun triple:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb triple:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun triple
- Definition of the adjective triple
- Definition of the verb triple
- Phrases with Triple
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Triple
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Triple
- Photos about Triple
- Video language resources about Triple
- Quotes about Triple
- Scrabble value of T1R1I1P3L1E1
- Anagrams of TRIPLE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun triple
What does triple mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: triples
- a base hit at which the batter stops safely at third base
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of triple: three-bagger / three-base hit
- more generic terms: base hit / safety = the successful act of striking a baseball in such a way that the batter reaches base safely
- more specific terms: line-drive triple / line triple = a triple resulting from a line drive
- a set of three similar things considered as a unit
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of triple: triad / trio / triplet
- more generic word: set = a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used
- more specific words:
- instance: Trimurti = the triad of divinities of later Hinduism
- a quantity that is three times as great as another
Alternative definition of the noun triple
- [informal] A drink with three portions of alcohol.
- [US] A hamburger with three patties.
- [baseball] A three-base hit
- [curling] A takeout shot in which three stones are removed from play.
- [mathematics, computing] A sequence of three elements or 3-tuple.
Specialised definition of the noun triple
Glossary of sports / baseball
a hit that allows the batter to reach third base (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / bowling
three consecutive strikes
Glossary of sports / tennis
the feat of winning the singles, doubles, and mixed doubles championships at a tournament
Definition of the adjective triple
What does triple mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more triple / most triple
- having three units or components or elements
- three times as great or many
Alternative definition of the adjective triple
- Made up of three related elements, often matching
- Three times the quantity
- Designed for three users
- Folded in three; composed of three layers
- Having three aspects; very ambiguous.
- [music] Of time, three times as fast as very fast.
Definition of the verb triple
What does triple mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tripled | tripling | triples
- increase threefold
- examples: Triple your income! | They triple their earnings this year | Their earnings triple this year
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Bill dried the clothes [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The clothes dried wrinkled [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Tony broke the piggy bank open with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Tony broke the glass to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Tony broke the glass to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Bill dried the clothes with a hairdryer [Instrument] [Verb] [Patient] The hairdryer dried the clothes [Patient] [Verb] The clothes dried | The roses bloomed [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] Piggy banks break open [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Piggy banks break open with a hammer [Patient] [Verb] [Adverb] Copper rods bend easily | Cotton clothes dry easily | Crystal vases break easily | Idaho potatoes bake beautifully [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] Glasses break to pieces [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Glasses break to pieces with a rock
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): abase, abate, abbreviate, abrade, abridge, accelerate, acetify, acidify, activate, advance, age, agglomerate, air, alkalify, alter, ameliorate, americanize, amplify, anesthetize, anglicize, animate, apostatize, atomize, attenuate, augment, awake, awaken, balance, beautify, bedew, bifurcate, bisect, blacken, blast, bleach, bloody, blunt, blur, bolshevize, botch, brighten, broaden, burn, burst, calcify, capacitate, capsize, caramelize, carbonize, castrate, categorize, catholicize, cauterize, change, char, cheapen, chill, chlorinate, christianize, circumcise, civilize, clean, clear, clog, close, clouded, coagulate, coarsen, collapse, collect, commercialize, compress, condense, constrict, constringe, construct, contract, cool, correct, corrode, corrugate, corrupt, cremate, crimson, crisp, crumble, crystallize, curdle, dampen, darken, de-escalate, deafen, decelerate, decentralize, decrease, deepen, deflate, defrost, degenerate, degrade, dehumidify, dehydrate, demagnetize, demobilize, democratize, depressurize, desalinate, desiccate, destabilize, deteriorate, detonate, devalue, diffract, diffuse, dilate, dilute, dim, diminish, dirty, disintegrate, dislocate, disorganize, disperse, dissipate, dissolve, diversify, divide, domesticate, double, drain, dry, dull, ease, effeminate, emaciate, emasculate, embitter, embrocate, empty, emulsify, energize, enhance, enlarge, equalize, equilibrate, eternalize, europeanize, evaporate, even, expand, explode, fade, famish, fatten, federate, feminize, fertilize, fill, firm, flatten, flood, fossilize, fray, freeze, freshen, frost, fructify, fuse, gasify, gelatinize, gladden, granulate, gray, grow, halt, harden, harmonize, hasten, heal, heat, heighten, humidify, hush, hybridize, hydrogenate, ignite, improve, incinerate, increase, incubate, inflate, intensify, invert, iodize, ionize, kindle, laminate, lengthen, lessen, level, levitate, light, lighten, lignify, liquefy, loop, loose, loosen, macerate, magnetize, magnify, mature, mechanize, mellow, melt, mineralize, mobilize, moderate, modernize, modulate, moisten, motorize, muddy, multiply, mute, narrow, nasalize, nationalize, naturalize, neutralize, nitrify, normalize, objectify, obscure, open, operate, ossify, overturn, oxidize, pale, paralyze, pasteurize, perfect, petrify, polarize, polymerize, pop, popularize, proliferate, propagate, publicize, pulverize, purify, purple, putrefy, quadruple, quicken, quiet, quieten, rarefy, reanimate, redden, regularize, rekindle, reopen, reproduce, resuscitate, reverse, revive, ripen, roughen, rupture, saponify, scorch, sear, secularize, sharpen, short, short-circuit, shorten, shrink, shrivel, shush, shut, sicken, silence, silver, singe, sink, slack, slacken, slim, slow, smooth, soak, sober, soften, solidify, sour, sovietize, sprout, stabilize, standardize, steady, steep, steepen, sterilize, stiffen, stratify, strengthen, submerge, subside, sunburn, sweeten, tame, tan, taper, tauten, tense, thaw, thicken, thin, tighten, tilt, tire, topple, toughen, tousle, tranquilize, treble, ulcerate, unionize, urbanize, vaporize, vary, ventilate, vibrate, vitrify, volatilize, vulcanize, wake, waken, warm, weaken, westernize, wet, whiten, widen, worsen, yellow.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of triple: treble
- more generic words: manifold / multiply = combine or increase by multiplication
- hit a three-base hit
Alternative definition of the verb triple
- To multiply by three
- [baseball] To get a three-base hit
- To become three times as large
"Triple" is a composition.
- music by David van der Heijden
Phrases with Triple
Phrases starting with the word Triple:
- Triple O
- Triple bar
- triple sec
- Triple bond
- triple jump
- triple play
- Triple Star
- triple time
- Triple Agent
- Triple Bluff
- Triple Bogey
- Triple Check
- triple cream
- triple creme
- triple crown
- Triple point
Phrases ending with the word Triple:
View more phrases with the word Triple in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Triple
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ray Horak
triple play Figure T-5 trellis-coded modulation (TCM) See TCM. trellis-coded pulse amplitude modulation (TC-PAM) Also known as trellis-coded modulation ( TCM). See TCM. tribit Referring to a modulation technique that impresses three ...
by Henry Watson Fowler
Pronounce tri-, triple )(treble. If toe musical sense of treble is put aside, there are perhaps no senses in which one is possible & the other impossible ; but they do tend to diverge. First, though either can be adjective, verb, or noun, treble is the ...
by Vladimir Geroimenko
Triple A STRUCTURAL CONSTRUCT of the RDF ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Triple
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Triple
Click on an item to view that photo:
Three flames: #TP195 (Helped by CHDK Motion detect script)
Photo credit: Bondesgaarde
Photo credit: diongillard
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: zozolka
Photo credit: Monitotxi
Photo credit: Off Kilter
Photo credit: ThreeIfByBike
Yashica Electro 35GX
COLOR-YASHINON DX F1.7
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
Photo credit: mikecogh
Nikon F3hp + Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4
Film Kodak Ektar 100
Photo credit: Shutter B (R/N)
Photo credit: ph1l74
Photo credit: Daquella manera
Photo credit: zephythor
- MAGIC triple
DB HEIDE ( holstein )
fimgg b 0206 sn
Photo credit: hakzelf
- Triple E
Photo credit: Thomas_H_photo
- Triple Spiral
Fractal made with Mind boggling fractals lite.See in the original size.
Photo credit: Song_sing
- Triumph- Bonnie and Street Triple
It's a double test with twice the fun.
Photo credit: thomasrdotorg
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Triple
Click on an item to play that video:
- Geometrical meaning of Vector triple product
- Random Drop: FFXIV Triple Triad King Elmer III Guide + Plus/Combo Explanation
A quick explanation on Plus/Combos in Triple Triad used agains King Elmer III in The Gold Saucer. Plus/Combos are huge for punishing people who stack ...
- Anglian Home Improvements Triple Glazing Explanation
An explanation of the full features and benefits of Anglian Triple Glazing. Helping to keep homes warmer, quieter and safer. Find out more about Anglian's Triple ...
- How to do a Triple Entry Vocabulary Journal - TeachLikeThis
Video #24 - Triple Entry Vocabulary Journal Triple Entry Vocabulary Journal has students learn vocabulary in context, has them create defintions in their own ...
- Triple your Musical Vocabulary
- Geometrical meaning of scalar triple product
- Triple Meaning
Video shows what triple means. Made up of three related elements, often matching. Three times the quantity. Designed for three users. triple pronunciation.
- A Historical Meaning... (Triple Six Thing)
- Understand the Volume of Parallelopiped or Geometrical Meaning of Scalar Triple Product
Volume of Parallelopiped for Geometrical Meaning of Scalar Triple Product OPQRSTUV is a parallelopiped with concurrent edges vector a, vector b, vector c, ...
- Pythagorean triple Meaning
Video shows what Pythagorean triple means. A set of three positive integers a, b and c, where a2 = b2 + c2. Pythagorean triple Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- 5 - Triple - Explanation
- Triple witching Meaning
Video shows what triple witching means. Simultaneous expiry on US markets of stock index futures, stock index options, and stock options, which took place on ...
- Multivariable calculus 3.3.1: Definition of triple integrals
For the complete list of videos for this course...
- Triple double Meaning
Video shows what triple double means. The achievement of a two-digit number of any three of points scored, assists, rebounds, blocks, or steals in a single ...
- Triple negative breast cancer Meaning
Video shows what triple negative breast cancer means. A type of breast cancer, which affects African women more than white women, in which the three normal ...
- First Triple Backflip by Gnarly Jargon
- Terminology (triple polar)
- Triple Beam Balance: Parts and Description
- TRIPLE S | GOT7 | Girls Girls Girls (Check Description)
WATCH THE FULL VERSION HERE...
- Triple Licensure: Early Childhood, Special Education and ESL
In light of growing diversity, Drs. Thorp and Sanchez present the need for triple licensure for teachers, combining Early Childhood, Special Education, and ...
- Scripture Covers for LDS Triple International Foreign Language Editions for Missionaries
Demonstrating the new covers for the International Editions of the LDS Triple including Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, and others. These Triples are ...
- Aku Nganti Nuan - By Richie Families ( Triple Language )
Introduce first dayak making 3 language in one song. Iban + Chinese + English. Song name "Aku Deng You". Performed, Lyrics, Composed and Design By ...
View more videos about Triple A, Triple C, triple j, triple O, To Triple, Triple bond, Triple play, Triple Star, Triple Bluff, Triple Bogey, Triple point, Triple Threat, Triple Goddess, and Triple witching hour.
See also the pronunciation examples of Triple!
Quotes about Triple
Scrabble value of T1R1I1P3L1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine