The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun twain:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun twain
- Other definitions of twain
- Phrases with Twain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Twain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Twain
- Photos about Twain
- Videos about Twain
- Quotes about Twain
- Scrabble value of T1W4A1I1N1
- Anagrams of TWAIN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun twain
What does twain mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: twains
- two items of the same kind
- examples: Mark Twain said, "All generalizations are false, including this one.” | One of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain is, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." | Tom certainly seems to enjoy reading Mark Twain. | Tom certainly seems to enjoy reading books by Mark Twain. | One day Mark Twain surprisingly confessed: "I am not as young as I was several years ago..." | Mark Twain was an American novelist.
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of twain: brace / couple / couplet / distich / duad / duet / duo / dyad / pair / span / twosome / yoke
- more generic words: 2 / deuce / II / two = the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one or a numeral representing this number
- more specific word: doubleton = a pair of playing cards that are the only cards in their suit in the hand dealt to a player
- part: fellow / mate = one of a pair
Other definitions of twain
What does twain also mean?
- [dated] two
Who is Twain?
Twain a.k.a. Mark Twain: Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He wrote The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the latter often called "the Great American Novel".
- read more about Mark Twain (novelist)
"Twain" is a musical album of Rebecca Martin.
- released on
Twain is a census-designated place in Plumas County, California, United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP population was 82, down from 87 at the 2000 census.
- also known as Twain, California; Plumas County / Twain CDP
- part of Plumas County, California, United States of America
TWAIN is an applications programming interface and communications protocol that regulates communication between software and digital imaging devices, such as image scanners and digital cameras.
Phrases with Twain
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Twain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Susan Lake, Karen Bean May
TWAIN is an acronym for a software standard TWAIN is an acronym that all scanner and digital camera manufacturers agree to use. Any indicating that the 50ftware TWAIN—compliant software package can work with any scanner. Today can ...
Philosophical Logic (2011)
An Introduction to Advanced Topics by George Englebretsen, Charles Sayward
We don't say “Every Twain is Clemens” or “Some Twain is the author of Huckleberry Finn, or even “Somel every Twain is . . .,” we simply use the name alone. Relationals in TFL It is important to realize that every. Exercise 8.2 Translate into ...
Current Opinion... (1909)
by Edward Jewitt Wheeler
Professor Henderson tells us: "Mark Twain is a great humorist — more genial than grim, more good-humored than ironic,
The Ultimate Digital Photography Resource (Adobe Reader) by Michael R. Miller
TWAIN is the software standard used by all scanner manufacturers. When you first install your scanner, you also install a TWAIN driver on your computer; this driver is necessary to operate the scanner and serves as the interface between your ...
Acts of God (2006)
The Unnatural History of Natural Disaster in America by Ted Steinberg
—Mark Twain means big business. Nineteen ninetysix brought over 600,000 cameratoting tourists to the village that defines the sentimentalized picture of nineteenthcentury life and culture envisioned by ...
Shakespeare and His Authors (2015)
Critical Perspectives on the Authorship Question by William Leahy
Twain is an interesting and ...
by Deborah White Broadwater
Mark Twain Media, Inc, Publishers 13 Using a Dictionary Guide Words: Introduction Guide Words Introduction.
Volume 21: Art and Architecture by Judith H. Bonner, Estill Curtis Pennington
Mark Twain commented caustically on the phenomenon and ...
by Jan Onofrio
Mark Sullivan and others regretted the lack in Rogers of "a consistent philosophy" such as Mark Twain had; but Rogers, who had no delusions of becoming a literary classic and was more easy-going, without the depths of fierce perplexity in ...
Dictionary of Proverbs (2005)
Twain, Mark Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is forever flowing through one's head. — Twain, Mark Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Twain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Twain
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pasa47
A large Richard Serra sculpture downtown
Photo credit: J.G. Park
- Daisy Twain
Photo credit: bldesprit
- Alan Twain
Photo credit: Paul Comstock
- Twain Harte
Photo credit: Truque da Banana
- LEGO Twain
"A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape."
Photo credit: dddaag
View more pictures about Mark Twain.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Twain
Click on an item to play that video:
- A detailed explanation of The Convergence of the Twain
An explanation of the key points in The Convergence of the Twain.
- TWAIN Meaning
Video shows what TWAIN means. A standard software protocol and applications programming interface (API) that regulates communication between software ...
- Twain Meaning
Video shows what twain means. two. twain pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. twain meaning. Powered by MaryTTS.
Quotes about Twain
Scrabble value of T1W4A1I1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TWAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Twain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Twain to see it in context!