On this page:
Definition of the noun Umiak
What does Umiak mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: umiaks
- [nautical] A large, open boat made of skins stretched over a wooden frame that is propelled by paddles; used by the Inuit for transportation.
- Umiak a.k.a. Boat: A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to work or travel on water. Small boats are typically found on inland or in protected coastal areas. However, boats such as the whaleboat were designed for operation from a ship in an offshore environment. In naval terms, a boat is a vessel small enough to be carried aboard another vessel. Another less restrictive definition is a vessel that can be lifted out of the water. Some definitions do not make a distinction in size, as 1000-foot bulk freighters on the Great Lakes are called oreboats. For reasons of naval tradition, submarines are usually referred to as 'boats' rather than 'ships', regardless of their size and shape.
- The umiak, umialak, umiaq, umiac, oomiac or oomiak is a type of boat used by both Yupik and Inuit, and was originally found in all coastal areas from Siberia to Greenland. First arising in Thule times, it has traditionally been used in summer to move people and possessions to seasonal hunting grounds and for hunting whales and walrus. Although the umiak was usually propelled by oars or paddles, sails, sometimes made from seal intestines, were also used, and in the 20th century, outboard motors.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Umiak
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
In Order to Live Untroubled (2001)
Inuit of the Central Artic 1550 To 1940 by Renee Fossett
*Like the one-person kayak, an umiak is a skin boat, Introduction: Assumptions about the Other.
by Julius Bate Bessem-asu
UMIAK An umiak is a large, open boat made of animal skins. The skins are stretched on a wooden frame. It was used by Eskimos for transporting goods and rowed by women traditionally. When the boat was used for whaling, it was propelled ...
The umiak is a comparatively large open boat, deep-sided and flat- bottomed, fitted typically with either five or six rowing thwarts and capable of setting a fair-sized squaresail when favoured with a following wind. It is double- ended ...
The Alaska Almanac (2012)
Facts about Alaska by Nancy Gates
The Eskimo umiak is a traditional skincovered boat whose design has changed little over the centuries. Although umiaks are mostly powered by outboard motors today, paddles are still used when stalking game and when ice might damage a ...
The Sea-Craft of Prehistory (2013)
by Paul Johnstone
The umiak is a close second, but, of the two, the kayak is safer under all conditions of Arctic travel.M Military use of skin boats Finally, in this survey ofwhere skin craft are found in time and place, one should note a practice which must surely ...
Building Environments (2005)
by Kenneth A. Breisch, Alison K. Hoagland
CHAPTER 1 5 THE NORTHERN UMIAK: ' SHELTER, BOUNDARY, IDENTITY SUSAN W. FAIR The umiak is a large traditional skin-covered boat used widely by northern Native peoples in circumpolar seas, from Siberia to Greenland (tig.
by Jack Williams
A umiak is a large Eskimo boat made of skins stretched on a wooden or bone frame and is propelled by paddling. A compound bow uses a system of cables and pulleys to make the bow easier to draw. Crampons are spiked plates that fit onto ...
by Mark Sutton
The umiak is a large, open, walrus-skin boat that could carry a fairly large number of people and material possessions. In some regions, Umiaks are sometimes called “women's boats” because the women usually rowed them. In the Bering ...
The Gospel in All Lands (1891)
The umiak is a long skin-covered boat. This is the family boat or carryall. Those in use around Behring Straits are about twenty-four feet long and five feet wide. They will safely carry fifteen persons and 500 pounds of freight, coasting in the sea.
Dictionary of Artifacts (2008)
by Barbara Ann Kipfer
umiak: a large, open boat used in Greenland and ...
by S. Medlik
allocentric/ psychocentric umiak An open flat-bottomed Eskimo boat, usually worked by women.
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (1988)
by Nila Gott
PROA, BUNGO, KAYAK, UMIAK, WAAPA, DUGOUT canon _ LAW, RULE, DECREE canonical hour _ SEXT, LAUDS, NONES, PRIME, MATINS, VESPERS canopy _ COVER, SHADE, AWNING cant _ TIP, HEEL, SING, TILT, ARGOT, CHANT, ...
by Random House
off-the-rack, paperback, Pasternak, pickaback, piggyback, Pontiac, postat- tack, quarterback, razor- back, retropack, running back, Sarawak, silverback, single- track, steeplejack, stickleback, Syriac, tamarack, tenure-track, umiak, Union Jack, ...
by James Hastings
S'orrow, Sin, and Beauty ; Du Hose, Gospel in the Umiak ; Lux Mundi, 'The Problem o( Pain'; Workman, The Servant of Je hovah.
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering; History of Inventions; General Technological Vocabulary; and Digest of Mechanical Appliances in Science and the Arts by Edward Henry Knight
The kajak is the men's boat The umiak is the women's boat ; has a flat bottom, and is much larger.
by Edy G. Schaffer
HOOKER, DROGHER dispatch AVISO, OOLAK Dutch Indies PRAAM, HOOKER Egyptian BARIS, SANDAL English COBLE Eskimo KYAK, KAYAK, UMIAK, OOMIAK, BIDARKEE, BinARKA ferry BAC fishing DORY, COBLE, SMACK, DOGGER, ...
by Adele Nozedar
P—Pacanne to Pushmataha Q—Quapaw to Quetzalcoatl R—RainintheFace to Roots S—Sacajawea to Syringes T—Tadodaho to Tuskaloosa U—Umiak toUte V —VanillatoVisionQuest W—WabanakiConfederacy toWyandot Y—Yakama to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Umiak
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Umiak
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Umiak fleet
the Umiak flotilla makes way on Lake Union during the Wooden Boat Festival.
Photo credit: boatbliS.S.
- Umiak in Greenland National Museum
An umiak once used for whaling or transporting cargo is on display at the Greenland National Museum in Nuuk.
Photo credit: D-Stanley
- Umiak lehenengoz bordan...
Photo credit: Zaloa Etxaniz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Umiak
Video shows what umiak means. A large, open boat made of skins stretched over a wooden frame that is propelled by paddles, used by the Inuit for ...
Scrabble value of U1M3I1A1K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of UMIAK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Umiak!
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Umiak to learn how to say it correctly!