Unit appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Nooses unit: is it in use soon?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun unit:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun unit:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun unit
- Definition of the adjective unit
- Phrases with Unit
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Unit
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Unit
- Photos about Unit
- Videos about Unit
- Sign language
- Quotes about Unit
- Scrabble value of U1N1I1T1
- Anagrams of UNIT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun unit
What does unit mean as a name of something?
Unit is one of the top 1000 most common nouns. It is used mostly in informational writing, being one of the top 1000 most common nouns in informational written English.
noun - plural: units
- any division of quantity accepted as a standard of measurement or exchange
- examples: the dollar is the United States unit of currency | a unit of wheat is a bushel | change per unit volume
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of unit: unit of measurement
- more generic term: definite quantity = a specific measure of amount
- more specific terms:
- measuring block / measuring unit = a unit of measurement
- denier = a unit of measurement for the fineness of silk or nylon or rayon
- diopter / dioptre = a unit of measurement of the refractive power of a lens which is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length measured in meters
- carat / karat / kt = the unit of measurement for the proportion of gold in an alloy; 18-karat gold is 75% gold
- absorption unit = a unit for measuring absorption
- acceleration unit = a unit for measuring acceleration
- angular unit = a unit of measurement for angles
- square measure / area unit = a system of units used to measure areas
- cubic content unit / displacement unit / capacity measure / capacity unit / cubature unit / cubic measure / cubage unit / volume unit = a unit of measurement of volume or capacity
- computer memory unit = a unit for measuring computer memory
- electromagnetic unit / emu = any of various systems of units for measuring electricity and magnetism
- explosive unit = any unit for measuring the force of explosions
- force unit = a unit of measurement of physical force
- linear measure / linear unit = a unit of measurement of length
- metric unit / metric = a decimal unit of measurement of the metric system
- miles per gallon = the distance traveled in a vehicle powered by one gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel
- monetary unit = a unit of money
- million floating point operations per second / megaflop / MFLOP = a unit for measuring the speed of a computer system
- trillion floating point operations per second / teraflop = a unit for measuring the speed of a computer system
- million instructions per second / MIPS = a unit for measuring the execution speed of a computer's CPU
- pain unit = a unit measuring the intensity of pain
- pressure unit = a unit measuring force per unit area
- printing unit = a unit of measurement for printing
- sound unit = any acoustic unit of measurement
- telephone unit = a unit of measurement for telephone use
- temperature unit = a unit of measurement for temperature
- weight unit / weight = a unit used to measure weight
- mass unit = a unit of measurement for mass
- unit of viscosity = a unit of measurement for viscosity
- energy unit / heat unit / work unit = a unit of measurement for work
- langley = unit of solar radiation
- Brinell number = measure of the hardness of a material
- point = the unit of counting in scoring a game or contest
- bit = a unit of measurement of information
- electrostatic unit = any of various units of electricity based on forces of interaction between electric charges
- an individual or group or structure or other entity regarded as a structural or functional constituent of a whole
- examples: the reduced the number of units and installations | the word is a basic linguistic unit
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- more generic terms: component / component part / constituent / part / portion = something determined in relation to something that includes it
- an organization regarded as part of a larger social group
- examples: the coach said the offensive unit did a good job | after the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of unit: social unit
- more generic words: organisation / organization = a group of people who work together
- more specific terms:
- klavern = a local unit of the Ku Klux Klan
- administrative body / administrative unit = a unit with administrative responsibilities
- company = a unit of firefighters including their equipment
- household / family / menage / house / home = a social unit living together
- general delivery / poste restante = the part of a post office that handles mail for persons who call for it
- instrumentality = a subsidiary organ of government created for a special purpose
- intensive care unit / ICU = a hospital unit staffed and equipped to provide intensive care
- member = an organization that is a member of another organization
- military force / military group / military unit / force = a unit that is part of some military service
- task force = a semipermanent unit created to carry out a continuing task
- squad / team = a cooperative unit
- den = a unit of 8 to 10 cub scouts
- work party / crew / gang = an organized group of workmen
- combination = a group of people (often temporary) having a common purpose
- crew = the men and women who man a vehicle
- scout group / scout troop / troop = a unit of Girl or Boy Scouts
- outfit = any cohesive unit such as a military company
- fifth column / Trojan horse = a subversive group that supports the enemy and engages in espionage or sabotage
- political entity / political unit = a unit with political responsibilities
- side = one of two or more contesting groups
- working group / working party = a group of people working together temporarily until some goal is achieved
- a single undivided whole
- a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else
- example: units of nucleic acids
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of unit: building block
- more generic word: thing = a separate and self-contained entity
- more specific terms:
- chemical chain / chain = a series of linked atoms
- couple = something joined by two equal and opposite forces that act along parallel lines
- unit cell = the smallest group of atoms or molecules whose repetition at regular intervals in three dimensions produces the lattices of a crystal
- chemical group / radical / group = two or more atoms bound together as a single unit and forming part of a molecule
- molecule = the simplest structural unit of an element or compound
- part: piece / part = a portion of a natural object
- an assemblage of parts that is regarded as a single entity
- example: the team is a unit
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonym of unit: whole
- more generic terms: object / physical object = a tangible and visible entity
- more specific terms:
- congener = a whole (a thing or person) of the same kind or category as another
- animate thing / living thing = a living (or once living) entity
- natural object = an object occurring naturally
- artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- assembly = a unit consisting of components that have been fitted together
- item = a whole individual unit
- aggregate / totality / total / sum = the whole amount
Alternative definition of the noun unit
- [sciences] A standard measure of a quantity.
- An organized group comprising people and/or equipment.
- [military] A self-contained military organization; usually a battalion, regiment, or naval ship.
- [military, informal] A member of a military organization.
- [US, military] Any military element whose structure is prescribed by competent authority, such as a table of organization and equipment; specifically, part of an organization
- [US, military] An organization title of a subdivision of a group in a task force
- [US, military] A standard or basic quantity into which an item of supply is divided, issued, or used. In this meaning, also called unit of issue
- [US, military] With regard to Reserve Components of the Armed Forces, denotes a Selected Reserve unit organized, equipped, and trained for mobilization to serve on active duty as a unit or to augment or be augmented by another unit. Headquarters and support functions without wartime missions are not considered units
- [algebra] An element of a ring having a multiplicative inverse. (Formerly just the identity element 1R of a ring.)
- (commerce) An item which may be sold singly.
- (UK) (electricity) One kilowatt-hour (as recorded on an electricity meter).
Definition of the adjective unit
What does unit mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more unit / uniter |
- For each unit.
- [mathematics] Having a size or magnitude of one.
Unit a.k.a. Tura Airport is a small airport in Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia located 13 km northeast of Tura. KrasAvia operates flights to Krasnoyarsk Yemelyanovo Airport twice a week.
- part of Russia
- Unit is an electronic musician based in New York City. Unit began releasing electronic music officially at the age of 25, although he had musical involvement for many years prior, playing bass guitar at 17, and began working on electronic music at the age of 18. Unit has toured at various venues in Europe.
- Unit was a short-lived but influential artist's collective in east London which organised exhibitions between 1997-1999 - a crucial moment in London's burgeoning contemporary art scene. Many of the artists that participated in Unit exhibitions have moved on to achieve international acclaim. The core members were curator Stéphanie Bacqué and artists John Chilver, Stuart Croft, DJ Simpson, Ben Tunstall and Neil Zakiewicz.
- nationality: United Kingdom
Unit is a musical group.
- albums: "Live It Up", "Move Your Body"
Unit is a record label.
- "Unit" is the second full-length album by Australian band Regurgitator, released in November 1997. Its style is a mixture of 1980s style synthesised popular music and alternative rock, with some hip-hop influences. It was widely successful, receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews and five of the songs featured broke into the commercial mainstream, mostly due to their popularity with alternative radio stations. On 19 October 1998, the album was re-released as Unit Re-Booted, which included the album's five video clips. In 1998, Unit won 5 ARIA awards, and in 1999, it went triple platinum, eventually selling over 240,000 copies.
- "Unit" is a musical album of Adam Makowicz.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Unit" is a musical album of Marc Behrens.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Unit" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by Freeform
- UNIT is a military organisation from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who, Torchwood, and The Sarah Jane Adventures. Operating under the auspices of the UN, its purpose is to investigate and combat paranormal and extraterrestrial threats to the Earth. In the original Doctor Who series, several UNIT personnel played a major role in the programme.
- official website: www.unit.org.uk
- Unit: In mathematics, an invertible element or a unit in a ring R refers to any element u that has an inverse element in the multiplicative monoid of R, i.e.
- also known as 单位
- Unit: A unit is a measure of housing equivalent to the living quarters of one household.
- Unit: The military unit this person belonged to. Enter the lowest hierarchical level known. For example, if someone served in the US 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, enter that rather regiment rather than the 101st Airborne Division. However, if all you know is that they served in the 101st, enter that rather than leaving the property blank.
- Unit: The measure that the quantity of the ingredient is measured in. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of water, the quantity is "1" and the unit is "cup". This can also include approximate measures such as "pinch" and "handful.
- Unit a.k.a. unit++ is a unit testing framework module for C++. The author started it as an alternative to CppUnit, which he felt was insufficiently integrated into the C++ language.
- The unit commanded, if the commander was in charge of a particular unit.
- Unit: A military unit that has been posted here.
- The unit of measure. Examples are Seconds, Grams, Volts, Metres, etc.
Phrases with Unit
Phrases starting with the word Unit:
Phrases ending with the word Unit:
- si unit
- air unit
- Api Unit
- dry unit
- K-9 Unit
- Usp Unit
- area unit
- army unit
- Base Unit
- flux unit
- heat unit
- mass unit
- pain unit
- time unit
- troy unit
View more phrases with the word Unit in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Unit
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Acoustical Engineering (1957)
by Harry F. Olson
The unit is the mechanical ohm. Mechanical Rectilineal Resistance (Mechanical Resistance) — Mechanical rectilineal resistance is the real part of the mechanical rectilineal impedance. This is the part responsible for the dissipation of energy.
Code of Federal Regulations (2005)
Fluidized bed combustion unit means a unit where municipal waste is combusted in a fluidized bed of material. The fluidized bed material may remain in the primary combustion zone or may be carried out of the primary combustion zone and ...
Foreign Trade Requirements (1903)
INDIA The monetary standard is gold; the unit is the sovereign. The sovereign is legal tender at the rate of 15 rupees. The coins are the sovereign and half- sovereign (gold); rupee, half-rupee, quarter-rupee and eighth-rupee (silver); 1 and 2 ...
by Frank Fuller Fowle, Archer Eben Knowlton
The practical unit is the volt. The C.G.S. units are the abvolt and statvolt. 49. Potential gradient. The space rate of change of potential, or the change with respect to distance. # An electric potential gradient is the space rate of change of electric ...
by Office of the Federal Register (U.S.)
An "EE" designated unit is an electrically-powered unit that has, in addition to all the requirements for the "E" unit,
A "G" designated unit is a gasoline- powered unit having minimum acceptable safeguards against inherent fire hazards.
American telegraph practice (1913)
a complete technical course in modern telegraphy, including simultaneous telegraphy and telephony by Donald Monroe McNicol
The standard unit is a column of pure mercury at a temperature of o° C, of uniform cross-section, 106.3 cm- long and...
The unit is the volt, and the practical standard adopted by the London conference in 1908, is the Weston cell which has an ...
by Jones & Bartlett Learning,
Linear Measures: (THE UNIT IS THE METER = 39.37 INCHES) Square Measures: (THE UNIT ...
Ugly's Plumbing References (2011)
by Rex Miller, Mark R. Miller
LINEAR MEASURE: (THE UNIT IS THE METER = 39.37 INCHES) 1 CENTIMETER = 10 ...
Biostratigraphy and Geochronology by Michael O. Woodburne
The basic nonhierarchic unit is the biochronozone.d Informal hierarchic units are the “System,” “Series,” and “Stage.
best standard for a chronostratigraphic unit is a body of rocks formed ...
Energy Pricing (2011)
Economics and Principles by Roger L. Conkling
The electric unit is the kilowatt; the peak period adopted may be instantaneous, quarter-hour, ...
The Concise English (1905)
Dictionary Literary Scientific and Technical by Charles Annandale
The unit is the holiviano or dollar of 100 centavos, with a value of about 18.8:1. There are silver, nickel, and bronze, but no gold coins.
Specialised service indicators—major plastic/reconstructive surgery unit ..... ............... 1989 Specialised service indicators—neonatal intensive care unit (level III) ........................... 1990 Specialised service indicators—neurosurgical unit .
by Peter Brett
JOYCEE ARCHITECT: PSB DESIGN 25 DAWNCRAFT WAY WHILTON NORTHANTS QUNTY UNIT RATE AMOUNT ITEM PRELIMINARIES (cont) PROVISIONAL SUMS ...
by David W. South
unified atomic mass unit (Symbol for); micro (Typewritten or print substitute for Greek letter u [mu], denoting I0"6); unified; unit; universal; update; user U Uranium (Symbol); Unit; Universal set (Symbol for); Union of sets (Symbol for); ...
Environmental Change and Human Society
Lithostratigraphy is based on a particular lithologic homogeneity that is used to recognize a rock or deposit unit. It works within the framework of both unconsolidated, unweathered, and undifferentiated material (such as deposits) and ...
by Chwee Huat Tan
Joint Financial Intelligence Unit www.info.gov.hk/police/jfiu In Hong Kong, the Joint Financial Intelligence Unit was set up in 1989 to receive reports about suspicious financial activity made under the provisions of the Drug Trafficking ( Recovery ...
by John E. Traister
OFF PRESSURE GAUGE THERMOMETER HOT WATER RISER CHILLED WATER RISER FAN COIL UNIT EQUIPMENT AS INDICATED AIR INTO REGISTER AIR OUT OF REGISTER AIR FLOW THRU UNDERCUT OR LOUVER ED DOOR ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Unit
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Unit
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Reuben Whitehouse
- Motorway Unit
Staffordshire Police / Centeral Motoway Polciing Group BMW 330d Unmarked Traffic Car
Photo credit: MaclachlanPhotography
- Unit Living
Photo credit: mecookie
- Compactor Unit
Compactor Unit being removed, Thetford
Photo credit: Martin Pettitt
- Unit Living
Photo credit: mecookie
- Edge Unit
This is a length-5 depth-2 edge unit, comprised of 20 magnets. It can be extended on the longest axis to add length, or on the shortest axis to add strength. 18 of the magnets are aligned as obvious by their square and triangular packing, and the last two are aligned arbitrarily in one of two orientations (although final assembly is slightly stronger if they are aligned consistently).
Photo credit: sparr0
- EAR Play Unit
Photo credit: escdotdot
- New entertainment unit
All it needs is an HDTV
Photo credit: A Little Lam
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Unit
Click on an item to play that video:
- Unit 01 Vocabulary
Unit 1 Vocabulary from Learning American Sign Language by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden, 2nd Ed.
- Phases of the Moon Explanation for kids -Animation Lesson Unit
Lunar phase or phases of moon indicates the illuminated portion of the moon which a person observes from the earth.The revolution of moon around earth ...
- Unit 03 Vocabulary
Unit 3 Vocabulary from Learning American Sign Language by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden, 2nd Ed.
- Dictionary of Slang Unit 01.
- Debate Unit Vocabulary
Flipped instruction for vocabulary terms.
- Unit 04 Vocabulary
Unit 4 Vocabulary from Learning American Sign Language by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden, 2nd Ed.
- Signing Naturally Vocabulary Unit 5
This video demonstrates ASL signs from the Signing Naturally curriculum, and follows a PowerPoint created by the instructor. It is intended for students at ...
- Unit 3 Common Core Science First Grade Vocabulary video
Unit 3 Common Core Science First Grade Vocabulary video.
- Marriott Kauai Beach Club Resort and Unit description
Syed Sarmad, Principal Broker for Advantage Vacation discusses what is available at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club Resort and Units.
- Clayco Industrial Business Unit Description
The industrial business unit provides fully integrated design/build and real estate services for the process/manufacturing, distribution, food & beverage and ...
- Dictionary of Slang Unit 01.
- UCLU Volunteering Services Unit Language Cultural Day
- Marriott Ko Olina Resort and Unit description
- Forum Studio Architecture Business Unit Description
- Book 1 - Unit 5 - Verb/Adjective conjugation
Conjugating verbs and adjectives with casual/polite endings.
- Unit 5 job description
- Unit 5 - Verb Tense Consistency PRACTICE QUIZ
Unit 5 - Verb Tense Consistency PRACTICE QUIZ.
- GEN102 - Unit Advice (Language & Linguistics)
This short videoclip introduces the central goals of the respective VLC-E-Learning unit and provides some guidance as to how to proceed.
- 19 unit description and operation gps components and controls 1
This is a GPS receiver. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. There are various components and controls used on the GPS receiver. The antenna, which ...
View more videos about Unit 1, unit 2, unit 4, The Unit, Unit One, Base Unit, Unit cell, Planck unit, Unit circle, Atomic mass unit, Pilosebaceous unit, Visual Display Unit, Arithmetic logic unit, and Neonatal intensive care unit.
See also the pronunciation examples of Unit!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Unit
Scrabble value of U1N1I1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of UNIT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Unit!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Unit to see it in context!