Unit of time
On this page:
Definition of the noun unit of time
What does unit of time mean as a name of something?
- a unit for measuring time periods
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of unit of time: time unit
- more generic words: amount / measure / quantity = how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify
- more specific terms:
- twenty-four hour period / twenty-four hours / 24-hour interval / mean solar day / solar day / day = time for Earth to make a complete rotation on its axis
- night = the dark part of the diurnal cycle considered a time unit
- mean solar time / mean time = time based on the motion of the mean sun
- terrestrial dynamical time / terrestrial time / ephemeris time / TDT / TT = a measure of time defined by Earth's orbital motion
- month = a time unit of approximately 30 days
- sidereal day / day = the time for one complete rotation of the earth relative to a particular star, about 4 minutes shorter than a mean solar day
- ship's bell / bell = each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell
- 60 minutes / hour / hr = a period of time equal to 1/24th of a day
- 30 minutes / half-hour = a half of an hour
- quarter-hour / 15 minutes = a quarter of an hour
- minute / min = a unit of time equal to 60 seconds or 1/60th of an hour
- quarter = a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
- second / sec / s = 1/60 of a minute
- attosecond = one quintillionth (10^-18) of a second
- femtosecond = one quadrillionth (10^-15) of a second
- picosecond = one trillionth (10^-12) of a second
- nanosecond = one billionth (10^-9) of a second
- microsecond = one millionth (10^-6) of a second
- millisecond / msec = one thousandth (10^-3) of a second
Unit of time: Use this property to list.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Unit of time
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Philip J. Pritchard
the unit of time is the second (s), and the unit of temperature is the kelvin (K). Force is a secondary dimension, and its unit, the newton (N), ...
by Great Britain. Nautical Almanac Office
mass and time- The astronomical unit of mass is the mass of the Sun, the astronomical unit of time is the day (d), and...
Theoretical Mechanics An Introductory Treatise on the Principles of Dynamics with Applications and Numberous Examples
The unit of time is the time in which the Earth rotates relatively to this frame through an angle equal to 1/86400 of four right angles, and this unit is the mean solar second. 270. The law of gravitation. When we say that the Earth is rotating, ...
Dealing with Electronics (2014)
by Manfred Drosg, Michael Morten Steurer
The unit of time is the second [s]. The angular frequency ω with the unit [s −1] is the conjugate variable to the time and is, therefore, the basis for the Fourier transform (Section 22.214.171.124). The advancement of electronics is closely connected to the ...
Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties (2010)
Advanced SQL Programming by Joe Celko
The calendar is irregular and the only ISO Standard unit of time is the second; years, months, weeks, hours, minutes, and so forth are not part of the SI system, but are mentioned in the ISO standards as conventions. SQL-92 added temporal ...
by Samuel K. K. Blankson
Every unit of time is a fraction of the orbit of the sun known as 'one year';. So Professor Eddington is right. There is no doubt that external reckoning of ...
Encyclopedia of Time (2013)
by Samuel L. Macey
The period is the primary unit of time and corresponds to the interval during which rocks of a system were deposited. A more useful time scale, ...
by Vimalakānta Rôya Caudhurī
Matra Matra is a beat, a measuring unit of time interval. According to Sarhgitaratnakara, a ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Therefore let a second be the unit of time, a foot the unit of space and velocity, an inch the unit of diameter of a ball or shell, and a pound avoirdupois the unit of pressure, whether of weight or of resistance : therefore g is thirty-two feet.
Fourth edition by David Nelson
The SI unit of time is the *second. See alsoday; year; spacetime. time dilation One of the effects predicted by the special theory of *relativity and since verified experimentally. When two observers move at constant relative velocity, each will ...
by Dean A. Stahl, Karen Landen
volume of blood per unit of time Q(Q) quantity (microeconomics) Q (Latin—Quintus); pseudonym for ...
The solids discharge capacity of a decanting centrifuge is limited by the volume of solids cake that can be moved by the conveyor and discharged by the under- flow openings per unit of time .An effective decating centrifuge for weighted ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Unit of time
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Unit of time to see it in context!