The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective unpleasant and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective unpleasant
- Phrases with unpleasant
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for unpleasant
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for unpleasant
- Photos about unpleasant
- Video language resources about unpleasant
- Quotes about unpleasant
- Scrabble value of U1N1P3L1E1A1S1A1N1T1
- Share this page
The word unpleasant is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective unpleasant
What does unpleasant mean as an attribute of a noun?
Unpleasant is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more unpleasant / most unpleasant
- offensive or disagreeable; causing discomfort or unhappiness
- examples: an unpleasant personality | unpleasant repercussions | unpleasant odors
- antonym: pleasant
- similar: acerb / acerbic / acid / acrid / bitter / blistering / caustic / sulfurous / sulphurous / virulent / vitriolic; beastly / god-awful / hellish; dour / forbidding / grim; embarrassing / mortifying; harsh / rough; harsh; hot; afflictive / painful / sore; rebarbative / repellant / repellent; sharp / sharp-worded / tart; ungrateful; unhappy; unpleasing
- attribute: pleasantness / sweetness = the quality of giving pleasure
- see also: inaesthetic / unaesthetic; disagreeable; ill-natured; awful / nasty; offensive; unpalatable; displeasing
Alternative definition of the adjective unpleasant
- Not pleasant.
Phrases with unpleasant
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for unpleasant
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
Unpaid worker—volunteer Unpalatable choice—dilemma Unparalleled—unique, matchless, peerless, unequalled, unmatched Unperceptive—blearyeyed Unplaced racehorse—alsoran Unplanned—accidental, unprepared Unpleasant —icky, ...
Dictionary of Category Words (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
Acrid -- having a strong, bitter unpleasant smell 02. Appetizing -- having an attractive smell 03. Aromatic -- having a pleasant and noticeable smell 04. Disagreeable -- having an unpleasant smell 05. Fetid -- having an unpleasant smell 06.
Dictionary of Dreams (2001)
by Farokh Jamshed Master, Jamshed Farokh
AURUMMURIATICUM AURUMMETALLICUM Anxious” (distressing, frightful, nightmares, sleep anxious, unpleasant) Frightful (anxious) Vivid AURUM MURLATICUM (AUR-MI) Anxious (distressing, frightful, nightmares, sleep anxious, ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
transcendent, uncommon, unequalled, unique, unmatched, unrivalled, unsurpassed unpigmented person albino unplayed golf hole bye unpleasant bad , disagreeable, draggy, horrid, irksome, nasty, noisome, obnoxious, offensive, repulsive, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for unpleasant
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about unpleasant
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about unpleasant
Click on an item to play that video:
- Unpleasant Meaning
Video shows what unpleasant means. Not pleasant.. Unpleasant Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say unpleasant. Powered by ...
- DOT downplayed Dan Brown's unpleasant description of Manila
[email protected] Junior Edition - DOT downplayed Dan Brown's unpleasant description of Manila (Reported by Miguel Sarne) [May 26, 2013] For more news, visit: ...
See also the pronunciation examples of unpleasant!
Quotes about unpleasant
Scrabble value of U1N1P3L1E1A1S1A1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of unpleasant to see it in context!