On this page:
- Definition of the verb utilize
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Utilize
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Utilize
- Usage statistics about utilize
- Photo about Utilize
- Video language resources about Utilize
- Sign language
- Quotes about Utilize
- Scrabble value of U1T1I1L1I1Z10E1
- Anagrams of UTILIZE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb utilize
What does utilize mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: utilized | utilizing | utilizes
- put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- examples: How do you utilize this tool? | They utilize the animals
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Adverb] I used the money well [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Predicate, variable control with infinitive] I used the cupboard to store food [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Predicate] I spent the money for my training
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- alternative spelling: utilise
- synonyms of utilize: apply / employ / use
- more specific terms:
- consecrate / dedicate / commit / devote / give = give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause
- play = employ in a game or in a specific position
- play = use or move
- pull out all the stops = use all resources available
- assign / put = attribute or give
- ply = use diligently
- address = address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question
- waste = use inefficiently or inappropriately
- misapply / misuse = apply to a wrong thing or person
- avail = use to one's advantage
- overdrive / overuse = make use of too often or too extensively
- cannibalise / cannibalize = use parts of something to repair something else
- reprocess / recycle / reuse = use again after processing
- exploit / work = use or manipulate to one's advantage
- exploit / tap = draw from
- extend / strain = use to the utmost
- exercise / exert = put to use
- enjoy = have benefit from
- take = travel or go by means of a certain kind of transportation, or a certain route
- share = use jointly or in common
- put to work / work = cause to work
- implement = apply in a manner consistent with its purpose or design
- fall back / resort / recur = have recourse to
- cause: apply / go for / hold
- convert (from an investment trust to a unit trust)
"Utilize" is a musical EP of Fear Nuttin Band.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Utilize
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Leo Sweeney, William J. Carroll, John J. Furlong
Undoubtedly there are many ways of achieving that aim, but the one we shall utilize is a brief excursion into the history of Greek philosophy. In the next chapter we shall watch the reactions of various Hellenic thinkers when confronted by the ...
Mission Impact (2010)
Breakthrough Strategies for Nonprofits by Robert M. Sheehan, Jr.
The end result of whatever assessment process an organization decides to utilize is that by the end of this step of the ...
by Linda E. Swayne, Mark Dodds
For example, sports venues utilize signage by advertising products and showcasing sponsors on largescreen televisions. There are an assortment of reasons why digital screens are used by companies and different industries, for instance, ...
Encyclopedia of Engineering (1906)
A Treatise on Boilers, Steam Engines, the Locomotive, Electricity, Machine Shop Practice, Air Brake Practice, Engineer's Catechism, Gas, Oil, Traction and Automobile Motors, Refrigeration by Calvin Franklin Swingle
try and in Europe, and while, as before stated, the main object in compounding is to utilize as much of the tremendous energy stored in the coal as it is possible to utilize, still there are other important problems to be solved in the design and ...
by Roy F. Baumeister, Kathleen D. Vohs
First, people are more likely to utilize base rates when making repeated judgments of events with different base rates than when making a single judgment of an event with only one base rate. Making repeated judgments highlights the varying ...
by Steven G. Rogelberg
Relatedly, less experienced decision makers utilize advice to a greater extent than more experienced decision makers...
by Steven G. Rogelberg
Relatedly, less experienced decision makers utilize advice to a greater extent than more experienced decision makers do, and decision makers utilize advice to a greater extent on complex tasks than on simple tasks. Research also indicates ...
by Stephanie Felgoise, Arthur M. Nezu, Christine M. Nezu, Mark A. Reinecke
ABA and CBT both utilize individual and group treatment research designs, although the former substantially emphasizes individual designs and the latter typically utilizes group designs (and possibly individual designs are underutilized in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Utilize
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about utilize
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb utilize:
Photo about Utilize
Medical Personnel in Italy Utilize MC4 Systems
Sgt. Christopher Moore, 503rd Infantry Battalion, scans patient demographics into the MC4 system at the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team aid station, Vicenza, Italy.
Photo credit: MC4 Army
Video language resources about Utilize
Click on an item to play that video:
- YouTube Video Marketing - Utilize the Description Field
YouTube Video Marketing...
- ESL GAMES EMAIL 1: How to Utilize WORD WEBS (Learn in under 5 minutes!)
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Utilize Foreign Language Software To Learn Up Another Language
- How To Utilize the Best Description for Videos - (...
- YouTube - Fully Utilize the Description Field of YouTube Videos - Patrick Schwerdtfeger
See also the pronunciation examples of Utilize!
Understand Baby Sign Language : How to Utilize Sign Language at a Baby's Bedtime
Signing as a bedtime ritual can allow your child to develop a routine in this free video series that will allow you to communicate with your baby through this ...
Quotes about Utilize
We have the duty of formulating, of summarizing, and of communicating our conclusions, in intelligible form, in recognition of the right of other free minds to utilize them in making their own decisions. (Ronald Fisher)
more quotes about utilize...
Scrabble value of U1T1I1L1I1Z10E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of UTILIZE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Utilize!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Utilize to see it in context!