Definition of the noun verger
What does verger mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: vergers
- a church officer who takes care of the interior of the building and acts as an attendant (carries the verge) during ceremonies
Alternative definition of the noun verger
- [chiefly British] A lay person who takes care of the interior of a church and acts as an attendant during services, where he or she carries the verge (or virge). An usher; in major ecclesiastical landmarks, a tour guide. In the United States, the office is generally combined with that of sexton.
Phrases with verger
- Verger lutzi
- Verger affinis
- Verger armatus
- Verger curtior
- Verger porteri
- Verger bispinus
- Verger bruchina
- Verger kuscheli
- Verger modestus
- Verger obliquus
- Verger spinosus
- Verger masafuera
- Verger vespersus
- Verger capillatus
- Verger impluviatus
- Verger limnophilus
- Verger lonquimayus
- Verger michaelseni
- Verger stenopterus
- Species Verger
View more phrases with the word verger in thesaurus!
- Verger is a fictional character from the 1983 film The Wars.
- Verger is a fictional character from the 1969 film End of a Priest.
- Verger is a fictional character from the 1981 film Happy Birthday to Me.
- Verger is a fictional film character.
Verger: A verger is a person, usually a layperson, who assists in the ordering of religious services, particularly in Anglican churches.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for verger
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Samuel J. Rogal
"THE VERGER" 295 *Maugham met Van Vechten in New York in late September 1924, and the New York writer led him and *Gerald Haxton on a long round of parties before they departed for New Orleans and then on to *Mexico. Returning to ...
by Kurt Hemmer
The story follows May Delano, Dan Verger, and Paul Hobbes (Holmes's persona) , who were all characters from Holmes's first novel Go. The major theme of the novel is sexuality as spirituality. Get Home Free is in part a sequel to Go. In Go ...
by Arthur T. Hubbard
Verger, R.; Mieras, M.C.E.; de Haas, G.H. Action of phospholipase A at interface.
by Jan Harold Brunvand
Somerset Maugham will recognize this as a variation of the plot of Maugham's 1929 short story “The Verger” (the title referring to the British term for a church caretaker). In Maugham's version, the protagonist is fired by the vicar ...
by Andrew Goudie
See Also: geodiversity;landscape sensitivity Emmanuel Reynard Gilgai Aform of microrelief consisting of mounds and depressions arranged in random toordered patterns (Verger 1964). There is a great variety of forms and they occur on a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for verger
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about verger
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Verger.
Scrabble value of V4E1R1G2E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of verger to find many related words and phrases!